By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which virtual console games would you reccomend?

Until you own Super Metroid you really haven't lived a life worth living.

Around the Network

Paper Mario. You need to own it.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

@ DarkNight_DS: Seriously? A shovelware NES game? Beyond Oasis is universally regarded to have some of the best graphics and music on the Genesis. Not to mention the fact that the combat system is incredibly deep for a Genesis game - if you only used the basic attack, rather than experimenting with combos, I can see why you would get bored with it. Finally, how far did you make it? As with Zelda games, BO starts off pretty slow, but there's a lot of intriguing puzzles and such that make use of your elemental spirits, lots of weapons to learn, and some pretty tough combat situations later on.

You're probably just not used to the Genesis' system capabilities, from the sound of it. Despite having more processing power than the SNES, the Genesis can't match it in 2-D effects or sound. But I'd highly recommend picking it up again and playing through more than just the first hour or so.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

omgwtfbbq said:
... and Bomberman '93 is a great game for four people (it's apparently five player, but I have no idea how that works, never having had five people to try it out)

You need Gamecube-controller to enable five player. As you start the game you have to press a button on the GC-controller (I forgot which one, but the documentation says it) and you can assign GC-controller and Wiimotes to the different players.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Super Metroid
Starfox 64 (or Lylat Wars, depending on region)
Any Sonic the Hedgehog game
Donkey Kong Country (2's better)

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

Replace any Sonic game with ONLY Sonic 2.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

True, Sonic 2 does come first.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Game_boy said:
Paper Mario. You need to own it.

Eh.

I still haven't beat SPM (the game got very boring after the excellent Bitlands) and I also haven't beat M&L: SSS (not a big fan)

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Garcian Smith said:
@ DarkNight_DS: Seriously? A shovelware NES game? Beyond Oasis is universally regarded to have some of the best graphics and music on the Genesis. Not to mention the fact that the combat system is incredibly deep for a Genesis game - if you only used the basic attack, rather than experimenting with combos, I can see why you would get bored with it. Finally, how far did you make it? As with Zelda games, BO starts off pretty slow, but there's a lot of intriguing puzzles and such that make use of your elemental spirits, lots of weapons to learn, and some pretty tough combat situations later on.

You're probably just not used to the Genesis' system capabilities, from the sound of it. Despite having more processing power than the SNES, the Genesis can't match it in 2-D effects or sound. But I'd highly recommend picking it up again and playing through more than just the first hour or so.

I played it for about 2 hours...  I just didn't see the appeal.  It was a blatantly bad rip off game.  I didn't say it looked like an NES game, I said a bad shovelware SNES game.  Zelda never starts out that boring, it's always impressed on some technical level in every one of the games right from the start.  Not that graphics make a game, but Beyond Oasis was no where near the quality it had been hyped as.  The controls are sloppy, the hit's are off when you attack and the music was grating.  I don't know how the same guy who made Beyond Oasis could go on to make some of the best music ever composed in games later on, his first attempt was horrible.

I'll admit, as a kid I didn't have a Genesis, I had an NES and SNES.  There's not much on the Genesis that interested me as a kid other then Sonic and Vectorman.  I'll also admit that Gunstar Heroes is a great game, but most of the genesis games weren't very good at all.  It all felt like shovelware, the TG16 had better games.

Beyond Oasis was hyped as being better then Link to the Past by some people.  I played the game and gave it a sincere chance to win me over.  The shortcomings of the game itself drove me to never want to play it again. 

Why is NintendoTogepi not listening to recommendations from people when they are giving their opinion (that he asked for).  Many of us have suggested Super Metroid and he still hasn't bought it...?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

DarkNight_DS said:
Garcian Smith said:

Why is NintendoTogepi not listening to recommendations from people when they are giving their opinion (that he asked for). Many of us have suggested Super Metroid and he still hasn't bought it...?

I'm not gonna buy games right anyway...I need to research it well.

Is it better then Metroid? I played that at a friends and I hated it. He hated it too.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker