By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII might be last true Final Fantasy!

Some new interesting statements from Yoichi Wada concerning his passion for games before he joined Square Enix:

"There are a lot of games that I like. And there are a lot of games that I loved. Especially when 3D games started to become popular. One that’s really stuck with me is Kenji Eno’s D. I also really liked the Myst, Resident Evil and Metal Gear titles from that period."

Take a look at my photos on flickr

Around the Network

hopefully versus 13 will be the true last FF

Akvod said:
CGI-Quality said:
aragod said:
About time...

You want a "non-true" Final Fantasy?

I think he meant that he wanted the Final Fantasy franchise to end.

Pretty much, it's still the same since the dawn of video games, with very little inovation and to my eyes, FFXIII is step back even to it's predecessors. When SE developers won't be strangled by the franchise, they can actually come up with something rather interesting.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

aragod said:
Akvod said:
CGI-Quality said:
aragod said:
About time...

You want a "non-true" Final Fantasy?

I think he meant that he wanted the Final Fantasy franchise to end.

Pretty much, it's still the same since the dawn of video games, with very little inovation and to my eyes, FFXIII is step back even to it's predecessors. When SE developers won't be strangled by the franchise, they can actually come up with something rather interesting.

Very little innovation? That's a rather odd statement, seeing that too much Innovation is often brought up by fans and critics together each time a new Final Fantasy is released.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Really? I heard FF13 took away turn based play, the other characters are AI controlled, new leveling system, limited weapons/upgrades, monster encounters are no longer random, etc, etc... there was even an article posted but I can't find it right now.

Around the Network

@nightsurge

The game is still turn based play, in fact, it's more turn based than FFXII was, as it expands on the ATB system that FFX-2 used.

The AI controlled characters are new true, but it's the same thing for those who used gambits on FFXII, so I don't see why they are complaining now

The Leveling system is the same one used in FFX and FFXII, with just some adjustments and differentiations.

The Weapon/upgrades is entirely new and it has very much depth to it, since each weapon gains individual EXP and can be enhanced diferently

There are random encounters in the game, just look in youtube for playthrough videos, you'll find tons of them.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

^I believe ya. It was just what I had heard. I probably didn't read close enough into all of it.

nightsurge said:
Really? I heard FF13 took away turn based play, the other characters are AI controlled, new leveling system, limited weapons/upgrades, monster encounters are no longer random, etc, etc... there was even an article posted but I can't find it right now.

You can find the same leveling system in FFX which is great IMO, because you can evolve your character in an invidual way.

I'm currently playing FFX for the first time and it's really great btw, but what's annoying me the most are the hidden monster encounters that appear every 5 seconds. So it's great that FFXIII won't include that element.

Take a look at my photos on flickr

@nightsurge

No worries there, I think I know what article you're referring, I read it once on N4G as well and it scared me like hell, but then I found the FFXIII forums and my fears quickly dissipated :P

Current PC Build

VivaLaWiida said:
nightsurge said:

You can find the same leveling system in FFX which is great IMO, because you can evolve your character in an invidual way.

I'm currently playing FFX for the first time and it's really great btw, but what's annoying me the most are the hidden monster encounters that appear every 5 seconds. So it's great that FFXIII won't include that element.

2 MONTHS 2 DAYS TO GO!!

can't wait, ever since reading user reviews my hype has shot up tons more!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey