By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII might be last true Final Fantasy!

Fuck.....just when I started hoping they go and do this

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
Malachi said:
VivaLaWiida said:

"I believe Final Fantasy XIII is going be something special, and that it’s going to be well received by the audience," states Wada. "But whether we are going to continue to internally create this type of game remains to be seen, because I actually feel that the team that was involved with Final Fantasy XIII should next move on to create and generate some 'next generation' forms of play.

"I really think that the Final Fantasy team could create something completely different, but at the moment they’re strictly catering to the particular audience they have now."

Before people start to panic they should read the bolded part. This is not about the possible end of traditional FF, it's about the possible end of SE internal studio making them, it probably mean they are thinking of moving to the DQ model of making game for FF. A small studio formed of SE employee to oversee an external developer hired to make the game thus freeing up their internal studio to develop new franchise.

Perhaps, all that matters to develop a final fantasy game is high budget. Do you know any other JRPG with a budget as high as final fantasy? I think Xenosaga Episode I was a good try, but failed in the end.

Pristine20 said:
I only wonder what "next-gen" implies? Is it motion controls or FPS or western appeal? I guess we'll see... As long as Atlus is still around, I'll have somewhere to find my JRPG fix

Ahhh beautiful, wonderful ATLUS. Bring on Persona 5!!!!

PS3 Exclusive!

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

For me the last true Final Fantasy was IX

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

PhantomLink said:

For me the last true Final Fantasy was FF12

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
PhantomLink said:

lol!

Take a look at my photos on flickr

FF XIV is next and its already been announced for PS3

2010 Hardware Sales Predictions

Wii: 20m- Sales will drop, but not by much.

PS3: 13.5m- It sold 12m in 2009, its only common sense it will sell more this year.

Xbox 360: 11m- It sold 11m in 2008 and 2009, I think it will sell the same.

My Fanboy Speech...

Why do you have to make excuses to defend a product that you purchased, but that's the only connection you have to it, you don't make it, you don't lose or gain money on it. I don't see where all of the defensiveness comes in, there is no reason for you or anybody else to feel obligated to defend it. Now I would understand if one of you were a developer for the product and you slaved over said product only to hear somebody call it stupid or a piece of junk. But none of you developed it, none of you are mature enough to realize that. Choosing a product all comes down to preference, you chose said product because it is best for you. Simple as that!

darthdevidem01 said:
PhantomLink said:

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

rccsetzer said:
Malachi said:
VivaLaWiida said:

"I believe Final Fantasy XIII is going be something special, and that it’s going to be well received by the audience," states Wada. "But whether we are going to continue to internally create this type of game remains to be seen, because I actually feel that the team that was involved with Final Fantasy XIII should next move on to create and generate some 'next generation' forms of play.

"I really think that the Final Fantasy team could create something completely different, but at the moment they’re strictly catering to the particular audience they have now."

Before people start to panic they should read the bolded part. This is not about the possible end of traditional FF, it's about the possible end of SE internal studio making them, it probably mean they are thinking of moving to the DQ model of making game for FF. A small studio formed of SE employee to oversee an external developer hired to make the game thus freeing up their internal studio to develop new franchise.

Perhaps, all that matters to develop a final fantasy game is high budget. Do you know any other JRPG with a budget as high as final fantasy? I think Xenosaga Episode I was a good try, but failed in the end.

Certainly none as high as FF13 but if you mean in the same time frame, I think maybe Legend of Dragoon(sp?) compared to the PS1 FF. I don't think the Xenosaga games quite reached the developement cost of say, FFX though. Budget isn't everything, the universe and the model for the franchise are important too that why you have a small studio of a few employee familiar with the franchise to oversee the code monkey so they don't strait too far.

That change could actually mean that the serie could become more "traditional" as SE wouldn't necessary trust an external developer to make big change (Like SE did with FF12) to the franchise from fear that the less experienced developer screw it up.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

Not to diss Lord Sakaguchi, and I say this as someone who loved blue dragon and lost odyssey, but those games are nowhere near the calibre of Final Fantasy. FFXII, a game made after Sakaguchi left, is better than half the games that he was involved with.