By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was anyone else dissapointed with KZ2?

KZ2 was just awarded FPS of the year by Gamespot.

I agree it was definitely better than MW2 or ODST, at least in multiplayer. Plus, it's the most beautiful FPS ever, which is nice.

Congrats to Guerilla and Sony !!

Let's hope KZ3 does even better and is released next year...

Around the Network

Disappointed, not at all, 6 hr campaign? Maybe you are playing on to easy of a setting, play on normal, or hard. you will easily get 10 plus hours . Sure I would like some on line coop, I hate split screen so I could care less about that. I love on line coop though, and wish it did have it. The online multiplayer is pretty good though, you can play against the boots, or regular online, playing against the boots is a lot of fun though, give it a try. Gameplay is superb, its realistic and plays great. Im sure Killzone 3 will have online coop. I hope.

KILLZONE 3 hopefully Guerilla will rectify some of the problems found in Killzone 2

Awful and boring campaign but great online experience - Killzone 2.

Take a look at my photos on flickr

starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
Pretty much.

It's just a generic shooter that isn't quite as good as Gears or Resistance but has marginally better graphics and was given more hype than the latter games combined.

In your opinion.

OT: I get that the game won't be for everyone, but this isn't any different from any other game out there: including Gears of War and Resistance, which I know people who hated both of those as well.

Take Modern Warfare 2. Good game, sure. Is it all that it's cracked up to be, not in my opinion. That's basically how this works, some are going to love it, others will not.

Of course my opinion.  But I think it is a fairly commonly held opinion that Killzone 2 didn't live up to it's expectations in terms of either sales or hype.  It certainly wasn't a bad game.  But it defined generic.

It wasn't helped by it's circumstances though.  It came out in an environment where we had a brilliant Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 on the market, and a just released Gears 2 and Resistance 2.  Add in it being the most hyped Sony game of the generation to that point, and many people were bound to be let down.

I don't believe the same happened with Modern Warfare 2.  General feeling is that it is as brilliant, or better, than the first.  Most complaints I hear are about restrictions on the PC version.

MW2 was highly overrated and many of those 13 million+ that bought it on both consoles have actually agreed. Hence why gamespot also gave KZ2 best shooter over MW2. Nothing generic about KZ2 as far as multiplayer online goes and even the single player campaign was sweet (although I wanted more mech usage as that was very fun). The diversity in the classes in the multiplayer and the combinations that could be made by doing cross class mixes were plenty. Not to mention the multiple objective games which are beyond a blast. It takes a bit to level some aspects in KZ2 but it's well worth it (getting the scout with cloaking was amazing especially using it in Pyrrhus Rise), not to mention the DLC with the return of The Flash and Thunder was icing on the cake. Gears 2 was actually a letdown and that has been the general consensus and the same goes for Resistance 2, so it's funny you bring those 2 games up. Gears 1 was the better game and Resistance: FoM was also superior to R2. 

Story in KZ2 is actually vast but only if you played KZ1 or at least bothered to read on the entire storyline, for example Jan Templar being one of the main characters in KZ1 which triggers more feelings when certain events happen in KZ2, and you realize why Ricco acts the way he acts. The Helghan have a pretty interesting story as well but I won't bother to dive deep into it as based on your bashing and your assumption of the "commonly held opinion" of KZ2 you either didn't play the game at all or played a little bit of SP and maybe 30 min of MP and said "oh this isn't halo, nor gears nor MW2 bleh". KZ2 is by no means noob friendly when it comes to the MP and weapons have real weight and recoil to them, unlike other games. 

Around the Network

As a single player, I was dissapointed. Here are my reasons and of course each to there own and what I consider to be a negative someone else may consider to be a bonus/disagree.

Story wasn't told as well as I hoped.

Campaign a bit on the short side.

Rico- Intense dislike for this character so having to spend the last half of the game with him sucked for me.

Didn't like the bosses. Thought it would be better off without it.

Grenades are next to useless- takes about 3 seconds to throw.

No prone. Really needed it in some of the more intense fire fights.

Baddies spawn in some of the fire fights.

No toggle for crouch. Found the hold crouch, lean agaisnt wall (even if you don't want to but have to) and then pop up to shoot but must click on R3 to zoom in for an accurate shot way too finicky and slow. I wish I could automatically zoom in after popping my head over for a shot but no such option.

Too many little frame rate dips here and there. Unsurprising as it was such a technically demanding game.

Low res textures in many areas.

Now I know the setting is a war torn planet and I shoudn't be surprised it looks very brown and grey but it lacks a certain sheen, I think it may be the quincux filtering.

That's my negatives. Positives- The sound effects on DTS Surround were amazing (I needed it to defeat the mid game boss as I couldn't see anything because of the smoke kicked up by the missiles) and technically it is impressive. Jaggies free too. Some of the fire fights were quite intense. Music was ok.

Many, many people. But I didn't think anyone played Killzone 2 anymore, or could be bothered to complain about it. It's nearly a year old now.

As for not knowing it had splitscreen, that is entirely your fault for not doing research. Though to be honest, if it ran like it did with ONE player playing at once, with TWO it would probably be unbearable.

I liked the game, very much. Better than *ech* R2, anyway.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

op problem is that it doesn't have split screen?
so don't buy kz2 for split screen playing...neither uncharted or bioshock or god of war.
and its gamespots shooter of the year....

NOPE....I loved it, and matter of fact, I played through it 3 times....the multi player is awesome and the single player campagne was the closest thing to a real war that i have ever seen in a videogame....8.5/10

starcraft said:
CGI-Quality said:
starcraft said:
Pretty much.

It's just a generic shooter that isn't quite as good as Gears or Resistance but has marginally better graphics and was given more hype than the latter games combined.

In your opinion.

OT: I get that the game won't be for everyone, but this isn't any different from any other game out there: including Gears of War and Resistance, which I know people who hated both of those as well.

Take Modern Warfare 2. Good game, sure. Is it all that it's cracked up to be, not in my opinion. That's basically how this works, some are going to love it, others will not.

Of course my opinion.  But I think it is a fairly commonly held opinion that Killzone 2 didn't live up to it's expectations in terms of either sales or hype.  It certainly wasn't a bad game.  But it defined generic.

It wasn't helped by it's circumstances though.  It came out in an environment where we had a brilliant Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 on the market, and a just released Gears 2 and Resistance 2.  Add in it being the most hyped Sony game of the generation to that point, and many people were bound to be let down.

I don't believe the same happened with Modern Warfare 2.  General feeling is that it is as brilliant, or better, than the first.  Most complaints I hear are about restrictions on the PC version.

I'd say most people were fairly pleased with Killzone 2, arguably mroeso than with Modern Warfare 2 in terms of critical reception amongst the hardcore gaming community.  You have sites like GameSpot and IGN that gave it shooter of the year over Modern Warfare 2, and sites like Gamesreactor that gave it overall Game of the Year.  The game also leads Modern Warfare 2 heavily in neogaf's game of the year voting thread.  In other words, the largest gaming forum on the web seems to prefer Killzone 2 between the two.

Granted, mainstream gamer's may disagree, but mainstream gamers thought GTAIV was the best game of 2008, going by sales. 

In neither sales, quality or groundbreaking innovation is Killzone 2 widly held to have met expectations, as they were always too high.

It seems quite a few people think it's a better game than Modern Warfare 2, which would be hard to do if it failed to meet expectations in quality, and if you go back and read Killzone 2's reviews, you'll see numerous comments like...

It took a long time for Killzone 2 to finally come out, but after diving head first into the game, there's no doubt in my mind that it lives up to the hype and is a must-play for FPS fans.

...from Gamepro, or...

With its unparalleled graphics, incredibly well-paced single-player campaign and in-depth multiplayer offerings, Killzone 2 has established its place among top-tier console shooters. Expectations on Killzone 2 had reached ridiculous proportions; here's one of those cases where the game actually lived up to them.

...from 1UP.

Just because you didn't like the game doesn't mean that most people weren't pleased with what it had to offer, or that most people didn't feel it lived up to the hype placed on the game's shoulders.

In the end, Killzone 2 has a metacritic in the 90s, and is going toe-to-toe with MW2 for shooter of the year awards.  It was released in a year that included names like Call of Duty, Halo, Left4Dead, and FEAR, yet it still holds very high acclaim amongst journalists and gamers alike.  Killzone has shown that it deserves to be mentioned with the best, alongside the likes of Halo, Gears, and Call of Duty.  You can try to marginalize this all you want, by claiming "many people" agree with you, or by trying to appear unbiased by claiming Resistance of all games is better, but it doesn't change that fact that Killzone 2 ended up being a good game.

But then, you've been against the game from the very beginning.  Predicting it would average in the 7s, claiming it would be as bad as the first, entering into the "Fable 2 vs Killzone 2: Metacritic" bet with me, and even now that it has been out for a year, with numerous people admitting that they think it's a great game, you insist it's overhyped.  You insist it isn't very good.   You need to get over it.