By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was anyone else dissapointed with KZ2?

I loved KZ2 for about a week. The online was very addictive and i was playing it constantly. After a while i was annoyed with the RPG users, i got very annoyed by them. So, in order to get top of the leaderboards i resorted to the horrible technique and to my suprise, it worked!

Next thing i know they removed the RPGs from online! I couldn't(can't) find any games with RPGs. I can't get use to the other wepons and even if its realistic, im too use to the Call Of Duty style of gameplay.

Also it wasn't the Single player i liked about Resistance, nor so much the multiplayer, it was the Co-op and i guess the uniqueness and structure of 30 vs 30 got me hooked.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pretty much.

It's just a generic shooter that isn't quite as good as Gears or Resistance but has marginally better graphics and was given more hype than the latter games combined.

Though it is true that kz2 lacks split screen or co-op, its anything but a generic shooter. You see, if you ever gave kz2's MP a shot, you'll understand why splitscreen is impossible. I do agree that they could've added co-op though since there's always someone with you the entire SP campaign.

KZ2's MP is class based and focuses highly on teamwork. You can't really be a one-man army thats why it also has no free-for-all/deathmatch mode. The game would never work in splitscreen mode. It's just the MP design. Take it from someone with vast knowledge/experience playing the MP.

The best you can hope for in offline is to play with bots. KZ2 is far from generic. Don't make uninformed statements like you know what you are talking about.

Now, now.....he's entitled to his opinion, even if we COMPLETELY disagree.

Sure KZ2 wasn't what many people wanted/expected but to call it generic is blasphemy. I don't know of any FPS that plays the same way. The problem with KZ2's reception is that most were expecting Call of Duty: The Killzone instead of a unique game. It was thought to be a semi-futuristic COD with awesome graphics and sound and most weren't prepared for a new type of shooter after the COD style had just taken the world by storm. I on the other hand just played it for what it was and can't touch COD games agian thanks to it. This lends more evidence to the fact that the game is anything but generic.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Well the only issue I see was that you assumed that it would have splitscreen/co-op, which not every FPS game has to begin with. Plus I believe this game does not need it nor do all FPS games need it. Which is why there are tons of FPS games that do not have splitscreen/co-op, because they dont need it.

Also, will the Killzone 2 hate ever end?

yep I was dissapointed. Should have waited until the Platinum edition came out (which didn't take too long)
The game was good, I'd give it a 8.0, but I liked Killzone 1 way more.

FootballFan said:
I loved KZ2 for about a week. The online was very addictive and i was playing it constantly. After a while i was annoyed with the RPG users, i got very annoyed by them. So, in order to get top of the leaderboards i resorted to the horrible technique and to my suprise, it worked!

Next thing i know they removed the RPGs from online! I couldn't(can't) find any games with RPGs. I can't get use to the other wepons and even if its realistic, im too use to the Call Of Duty style of gameplay.

Also it wasn't the Single player i liked about Resistance, nor so much the multiplayer, it was the Co-op and i guess the uniqueness and structure of 30 vs 30 got me hooked.

RPGs were horribly unbalanced when the game launched. I too used them when they were available at the MP launch because they were ridiculous. However, due to forum complaints (you'd know this if you were a regular forum user), GG (kz2 devs) released a patch to reduce the armor of the assault class by 50% which balanced the game out. I've never seen a dev house that listens to their community as much as GG yet amazingly people still whine even on kz.com as well. It's unbelievable but I guess if they didn't complain, the patches won't have been released.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:
starcraft said:
Pretty much.

It's just a generic shooter that isn't quite as good as Gears or Resistance but has marginally better graphics and was given more hype than the latter games combined.

Though it is true that kz2 lacks split screen or co-op, its anything but a generic shooter. You see, if you ever gave kz2's MP a shot, you'll understand why splitscreen is impossible. I do agree that they could've added co-op though since there's always someone with you the entire SP campaign.

KZ2's MP is class based and focuses highly on teamwork. You can't really be a one-man army thats why it also has no free-for-all/deathmatch mode. The game would never work in splitscreen mode. It's just the MP design. Take it from someone with vast knowledge/experience playing the MP.

The best you can hope for in offline is to play with bots. KZ2 is far from generic. Don't make uninformed statements like you know what you are talking about.

I'm sorry?  I have thoroughly played 90% of the game's features.  Not to mention reading copious amounts of reviews, previews, and breakdowns.

I haven't made one sweeping statement about the right or wrong of other's opinions.  I have commented that whilst I found the game to be decent, it WAS in my opinion, and post-release, the opinion of a large number of gamers, a generic shooter with above average graphics.

The title asks if anyone was disappointed, disappointment denotes expectation.

In neither sales, quality or groundbreaking innovation is Killzone 2 widly held to have met expectations, as they were always too high.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I've played pretty much most all of the games mentioned. I like Resistance 1 but Resistance 2 was a let down since it didn't have much of a story nor did it expand the Resistance universe much and it felt short and it wasn't a big improvement. Gears 1 & 2 is nice because the story progressed and it did have some intense moments/firefights. KZ2 was a bit forgettable except for the graphics. COD2 was pretty good, COD3 was ok, COD4 was the complete package, COD WAW was better than I expected, and MW2 I have but haven't played much yet.

I am only talking about solo campaign and not MP though.

Vetteman94 said:
Well the only issue I see was that you assumed that it would have splitscreen/co-op, which not every FPS game has to begin with. Plus I believe this game does not need it nor do all FPS games need it. Which is why there are tons of FPS games that do not have splitscreen/co-op, because they dont need it.

Also, will the Killzone 2 hate ever end?

Lol, I think it was clear from the back of the box that it lacked splitscreen or co-op but I guess people don't check those anymore. As for your other question, I highly doubt it. People just cant leave kz2 alone. Hell even on kz official forums, we get people coming to tell us how much our FPS of choice sucks instead of visiting the forums for their amazing FPS games....funny stuff

One other thing I'd like to add about KZ2 is the voice acting was superb.

Lack of split-screen multiplayer isn't actually on the laundry list of things that disappointed me about this game. I'm not going to say any more.