By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nielsen study: 52% of PSP owners... female.

what I find odd, is how the X360 leapfrogged in total usage minutes.

earlier in the year

PlayStation 2: 23.7%
Wii: 20.7%
Xbox 360: 18.2%
PlayStation 3: 9.0%

Now

Xbox 360 – 23.1%
PS2 – 20.4%
Wii – 19.0%
(no info for PS3 in the link)

this would indicate that people are moving on from PS2 to X360, along with a lot less Wii playing. Based on userbase size in NA you would expect the Wii to easily take the lead.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I know many girls that have a PSP though I the amount of boys I know that have PSP' is bigger.

ChichiriMuyo said:
Why exactly can't girls like the same games as guys? I keep seeing people say the top games don't indicate many females own it, but it just sounds like sexist bs. My roommate's girlfriend plays more FPS games than anyone else I know. She loves them. They supposedly aren't "girl games" though. Should I tell her she needs go play some Hannah Montana? Should I tell her that even though we got GTA4 for her during the recent Steam sale that she's not allowed to enjoy it because she has a vagina?

Seriously, the top selling games don't indicate much of anything, especially since the PSP is a multimedia device. The fact that the attach rate is so low actually makes a hell of a lot more sense now that Nielsen has put this data out.

Companys do market research on who buys their games. We see the results in how games are marketed. Occassionally the companies talk about games that are surprise hits with the female market because it's traditionally more difficult (like World of Warcraft, Fire Emblem DS). If there were FPS's popular with girls we'd know about it by now.

On an anecdotal level, I know lots of female gamers, only two of whom play first person shooters (or at least, admit to it).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

wow girls pirate games?? lol thats unusual :P

That sounds way off, maybe they confused it with sales. I'd believe half of PSPs were bought by girlfriends, relatives, and friends. It should be "Atleast 52% of owners have pirated one game."

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Around the Network

That would explain the Hannah Montana PSP

i call it BS

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

nordlead said:
what I find odd, is how the X360 leapfrogged in total usage minutes.

earlier in the year

PlayStation 2: 23.7%
Wii: 20.7%
Xbox 360: 18.2%
PlayStation 3: 9.0%

Now

Xbox 360 – 23.1%
PS2 – 20.4%
Wii – 19.0%
(no info for PS3 in the link)

this would indicate that people are moving on from PS2 to X360, along with a lot less Wii playing. Based on userbase size in NA you would expect the Wii to easily take the lead.

I feel Modern Warfare 2 could have caused that jump.

A Bad Clown said:
That sounds way off, maybe they confused it with sales. I'd believe half of PSPs were bought by girlfriends, relatives, and friends. It should be "Atleast 52% of owners have pirated one game."

Nielsen generally deals with how people spend their time, not who buys the product, so it's unlikely they'd make that mistake.

The idea that they meant to say DS is a possibility, Nielsen have made these sorts of fumbles before, and I'd expect the DS to have the highest ratio of females to males.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Bought my PSP for $5 from my friend who is a female.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.