By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Nielsen study: 52% of PSP owners... female.

That is surprising...

52% would mean a perfect male female ratio in most western countries (ie. females are 52% of the pop.). The top software for PSP does not seem to reflect a female audience, am I missing something or do they just use it for multimedia purposes?

Anecdotally, I have never ever seen a female using PSP in public, but I've seen many young kids and males in their twenties.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

its quite obvious. girls love handhelds

@ everyone . they're saying that 52% of the PSP owners are female, what does that have to do with DS and Wii?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

By looking at the top selling games on the platform... that doesn't make any sense |:

(Well, unless they buy them as a multimedia device)

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

So this is why the came out with a Hannah Montana PSP, it all makes sense now.

Why exactly can't girls like the same games as guys? I keep seeing people say the top games don't indicate many females own it, but it just sounds like sexist bs. My roommate's girlfriend plays more FPS games than anyone else I know. She loves them. They supposedly aren't "girl games" though. Should I tell her she needs go play some Hannah Montana? Should I tell her that even though we got GTA4 for her during the recent Steam sale that she's not allowed to enjoy it because she has a vagina?

Seriously, the top selling games don't indicate much of anything, especially since the PSP is a multimedia device. The fact that the attach rate is so low actually makes a hell of a lot more sense now that Nielsen has put this data out.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

No way. Maybe in their sample survey of a couple hundred people but not overall. I know very few girls who like to game.

No wonder Software doesn't sell that well on the PSP! Okay half joking. But on a serious note, I see a lot of girls with PSP's so this may very well be very accurate.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

in the next news: 80% of ps360 owners are gramps and grannies while 90% of wii owners are 15-30 year old males.

Maybe Nielsen meant 52% of DS gamers are female.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Most of the games that come from japan studio are very easily hit that demographic. Patapon, Locco Rocco and Echocrome are more liked by females than males in my experience.

I have also had a lot of girls ask me about comics on the PSP too. no guys however.  Only known 12 dudes with a psp at least 30 females.