By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crunch time for the PS3

I'm still unsure about the R&C figures. For a title to drop 50% after its initial release date and marketing, just is unusual (Especially with the HW boost this week).
But if those numbers are indeed the case (We won't know for sure until NPD), then it is disappointing given the quality of the game (If there are any PS3 owners here who haven't purchased this game, shame on you).
However, I do think it will prove to have some very solid legs, as most games of its genre do.

As for Uncharted, I think it will depend greatly on reviews. If this game lives up to the hype and scores better than R&C, I could see it doing far past expectations, as it is a large-demographic title (Everyone wants to be a treasure-hunter), and has "grab-your-attention-from-across-the-room" visuals.

Around the Network

This isn't surprising at all ...

In order to justify the initial price tag every exclusive game that has been released to date would have needed to be released by March 31st 2007, and they would have needed to release all of their 2008 exclusives by the end of 2007. Their entire strategy (or lack thereof) has shaken everyone's confidence in the Playstation brand, their price reductions have been mixed for consumers and the number of them make Sony look desperate, and the number of games that see multiple delays or are released and fall far short of expectations is concerning.

To put it bluntly, Sony is in a Lose-Lose situation and everyone can see it

I will admit - I am not shocked by the very small bump with the 40gb PS3. Who wants this flaming turd?

They have made misstep after misstep - and just add this to the pile.

First, they delay the console's release

Second, they claimed 5-6 million fools would buy their system without games

Third, they lost tons of system-moving exclusives and laughed it off ... including the last-gen, system-moving GTA series

Fourth, they continue to have in-house and 3rd party game delays - or games released on their hard-as-tha-devil Cell that designers have pretty much given up on ...

Fifth, they release titles that are meet with harsh reviews (be it most are truthful) and/or can't compete with 360 versions of the same game

Sixth, Sony tied the PS3 to the BR format - pushing prices though the roof ...

Seventh, Sony axed two SKUs, added two, further confusing the masses

Eighth, they release a console in NA and Europe without dedicated BC and thought folks would bite ...

Ninth, they released a console worldwide that's missing several features, has no hope of BC and call it a bargain

Tenth - and this is it - having to sell off other arms and divisions to cover for the gaming division's losses

All I am saying is - Sony looked like geniuses with the PS1 and PS2 - and have on dunce caps with the PS3.

I feel for their customers ...

where did these numbers come from?

OT: wow, thats disappointing. does sony have the money to start getting there act together? (you know, getting games in on time, selling at a decent price, ect.)

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

where did these numbers come from?

OT: wow, thats disappointing. does sony have the money to start getting there act together? (you know, getting games in on time, selling at a decent price, ect.)

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

Around the Network

The hatred for Sony and the PS3 is just amazing on this site, i'm not sure how you wii/360 fans can sleep at night knowing people are playing the PS3 :P

Griffin said:
The hatred for Sony and the PS3 is just amazing on this site, i'm not sure how you wii/360 fans can sleep at night knowing people are playing the PS3 :P

The PS3's situation is what it is and whining about someone pointing it out isn't going to change it. If you think what was posted in the thread is wrong then debate it, but enough of this "woe is the PS3" attitude. Every console has negative threads and if you would bother responding to critics rather than bitching that there are critics I think you might find not only are your concerns taken more seriously but you will likely pursuade some folks to your viewpoint as well.

To Each Man, Responsibility

this is far worse than what i thought they would be TV ads have been pushing R&C more than i ever saw halo commercials, and then there have been commercials for the new 40gb unit too that listed the price, a very informitive ad that was well made, not like the crazy crap they did last year.

I can only imagine, people in america are holding off for black friday, maybe they think there will be a fantastic bundle..... kinda like the dell bundle right now

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I think it is fair to reserve judgment until the full holiday swing. As a larger purchase it would make sense for people who would otherwise be purchasing a PS3 to be going with the ideology of holding off until the shopping season in hopes of a bargain etc...

To Each Man, Responsibility

Relax already, the PS3 is doing fine. This holiday season is the grand finale of the PS2 - Sony is allowing the golden goose to retire from First World markets with dignity and grace. A new $99 PS2 model, replete with a built-in power brick, is supposed to arrive early next year, which will keep the beast motoring on for awhile longer in Russia and China.

The PS3 doesn't have to match current 360 sales. I think Sony's game-plan is to make sure that PS2 + PS3 unit sales equal or come close to Wii unit sales, while the PS3 equals or comes close to world 360 sales for holiday 2006.

The real story is the continuing lack of demand for the 360. Given its library and price, I expected it to be selling at twice the rate it is. But the console continues to flatline in continental Europe and Asia, which are two thirds of the world gaming market. Not a good sign.

Last but not least - Ratchet is selling quite well. Remember, there are only 2.2 million consoles in the US, so 140K is quite respectable for a late October launch. And no, Halo sales are not a fair comparison - that's the staple franchise of the 360, comparable only to Final Fantasy for the PS3.