By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crunch time for the PS3

True. I'm just making a point that a lot of people claim this site or it's members "hates" Sony whenever they see people talk about slow sales. It's not as if that = hate somehow. This is simply a sales site and people are talking about sales. Not that biased fanboys don't happen. People just need to be able to separate the two.

And yeah those are great games, but the ranking is completely biased.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Yeah, but the problem is that now Sony doesn't have a one year lead, and their competition is much craftier.

True,

I am just saying that in the past the PS one and PS2 were called a disaster too (in sales) but everytime when MGS and FF came along the consoles start to sell.

Hello

Its funny to see how Playstation fans always try to let people think PS3 isn't the flop it is because according to them, it was the same with the PS1 and the PS2.

Problem is : it is totally wrong, the PS1 was the 1st one so ok, the 1st year was very hard but the PS2 was a huge success from the beginning, just check the charts, in his 1st year of sales in the USA, it was sold 4.6 millions PS2 ! (PS3 has sold 2.2 millions and Wii has sold 5.7 millions) and his 1st year of sales in Japan, it was sold 3.9 millions PS2 ! (PS3 has sold 1.27 millions and Wii has sold 3.7 millions).

Total of sales for Japan + USA in the 1st year is 8.5 millions for the PS2 and 3.47 millions for the PS3, it's 2.45 less.

PS2 was almost like Wii success, it has nothing to do with the PS3 sales !

Bye. 

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?

It's not about hating Sony, Nick ... I like Sony - I have bought a PS1, PS2 and two PSPs ... however, I am calling it like I see it. Sony has never been known to nurse a bad product that didn't perform. And the PS3 is selling consoles, but definitely not as fast as they'd like to. Why aren't they no. 1? The Wii is ... and did it by changing the game.

The facts are facts - and the PS3's numbers aren't impressive. Like it or not, the only folks on this site - and others - who defends the PS3's dismal numbers are either owners who feel the need to justify dropping at least $500 on the system or folks so clueless they'll buy a PS3 just for the PS brand.

The informed gamer realizes the PS3 is up against the ropes in this here prize fight ... anyone not a misguided PS3 fanboy can see the writing on the wall!

to call the 40GB SKU a "failure" after just 2 days of tracked sales in USA (released the 2nd of nov) and without it being released in japan seems "a little bit" overhasty to me

mrpapaye said:
konnichiwa said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Yeah, but the problem is that now Sony doesn't have a one year lead, and their competition is much craftier.

True,

I am just saying that in the past the PS one and PS2 were called a disaster too (in sales) but everytime when MGS and FF came along the consoles start to sell.

Hello

Its funny to see how Playstation fans always try to let people think PS3 isn't the flop it is because according to them, it was the same with the PS1 and the PS2.

Problem is : it is totally wrong, the PS1 was the 1st one so ok, the 1st year was very hard but the PS2 was a huge success from the beginning, just check the charts, in his 1st year of sales in the USA, it was sold 4.6 millions PS2 ! (PS3 has sold 2.2 millions and Wii has sold 5.7 millions) and his 1st year of sales in Japan, it was sold 3.9 millions PS2 ! (PS3 has sold 1.27 millions and Wii has sold 3.7 millions).

Total of sales for Japan + USA in the 1st year is 8.5 millions for the PS2 and 3.47 millions for the PS3, it's 2.45 less.

PS2 was almost like Wii success, it has nothing to do with the PS3 sales !

Bye.

not to mention PS2 was first to launch and PS3 was last (ish). I laugh every time people try to draw parallels between the PS2 and the PS3 because there are none. The PS2 launched out of the gate spectacularly and neither the Gamecube or Xbox ever looked like catching up. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
MontanaHatchet said:

True,

1.5years-2 years is more like it

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Lafiel said:
to call the 40GB SKU a "failure" after just 2 days of tracked sales in USA (released the 2nd of nov) and without it being released in japan seems "a little bit" overhasty to me

Its primarily based on Europe sales. They shot up to 100k plus two weeks ago - and are now down to half that level. Anecdotal evidence says that 40Gig PS3s aren't really selling.

And I thought the 40Gig was launched in Japan like two weeks ago? Or is that false? I thought its just the new bundle (with Dynasty Warriors) that hits this week?

I agree that it is too early to call yet - hence the title for this thread (crunch time is now!). The next two weeks are absolutely critical for Sony. And there are now only 8 weeks left this year.

@Montana: that sales curve is amazing! It shows how neck-neck the PS3/360 were (in their respective first years).

But just like the PS2, you can't just "discount" the time lead that a product has in the market. It may not be "fair", but its the way the market sees things.

This is the more accurate sales graph:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&start=39026&end=39390&weekly=1

(if you could graph current, per-weekly software sales per platform - the PS3 would be much further behind - with the 360 taking a strong lead)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

konnichiwa said:
MontanaHatchet said:

True,

The PS2 was never a sales disaster. It was a huge hit from day#1 (*I* bought one on launch day here in Australia - and paid $1000 for it!), and had cemented its spot in the market before any competitors had launched.

If anything, it just shows that MS has really done a poor job selling the 360 in its first 12 months. It should have had a much more significant lead, and more momentum - but never happened. It also says a lot, when you see that the sales of the 360 in year#1 are virtually identical to the PS3 sales in its first year. Neither have been great.

And its not fair to compare anything with the PS1. It was a new console, a new brand - and basically the beginning of the "modern" console industry. I was vaguely aware of it existing, but it was years before I knew anything solid about it.  

It was also the console to launch many of the brands that we hold so dear to our hearts these days (at least modern, 3D versions). Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear. None of these were killer apps when they launched - as they were pretty much unknowns. No longer!

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

@ shams )

the two 40GB models (black + white) release on the 11th of nov in japan

Lafiel said:
@ shams )

the two 40GB models (black + white) release on the 11th of nov in japan

So first day sales will not include them - and next weeks sales will slightly include them.

And they get an extra colour!

That really should all help - esp. with Dynasty Warriors launching. Min 40k sales? (week ending 18th Nov) 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website