By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crunch time for the PS3

""there is NOTHING left they can do.""

==> GAMES !

GT5 prologue is still suppose to hit Japan
Haze is suppose to be release this year
Same for Unchartred
I dont even mention multiplateform game CoD4/AssassinCreed.

I understand your point but :
- 50k in Europe is still superior to 30k BEFORE price cut meaning, it is 1 month of good sales (100k/100k/70k/55k)
and yes, it is because of the clearance sell of the 60gb.
- NA : how can you judge since the model is not here ?
I dont expect big sales.
- Japan : from Famitsu predictions, the 40gb+dynasty xarrior 5 is selling pretty well.

whatever, the 40gb is not here to sell like hot cake since it doesn't change dramatically the offer (dont add games and even reduce game du to lake of BC) and we already it will be a hard Xmas for the PS3 (MGS4 delayed//UT3/GT5pro outside of japan and evne Killzone2) ...

"(NOTE - I am *not* saying the PS3 is dead. All this analysis related to THIS Xmas only. What happens next year at this stage is anyone's guess...) "

==> Noted.

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Well - from initial reports, it seems that the PS3 (40Gig) is off to a "decent" start in Japan. Decent - but not great:

"Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported that the first day sales of the new 40GB PS3 is 31,000 units for the Ceramic White model and 5,000 units for the Standard Black model; and around 70,000 to 100,000 Dual Shock 3 were sold on the same day."

(first day for the price drops, Dynasty Warriors release + White 40Gig model release)

Sales in the US however have failed to dramatically improve. Maybe next week, once Uncharted gets released?

At least, if it does 44k in Japan - it hits 180k for the week (worldwide). That isn't too bad. And the rise in sales in Europe is very heartening (marketing? lead up to Xmas?).

The challenge now is building on the sales in Europe/US, without having the sales in Japan slide (which they could after a new hardware release).

All in all, its tracking slightly under my "best case scenario" at the moment - and a long way behind what Sony needs to make their fiscal predictions

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Hmm, not surprising that Japanese sales have rised. Something had to give.

NJ5 said:
Is that how you set the example to the other posters, MontanaHatchet?

Who ever said I had to be an example to other posters? That's just silly. 

With the PS3, its going to my predictions so far.

It will slowly rise in Japan. When the smaller unit and FF XIII (which I think will be released simultaneously) come in, the PS3 sales will be more than healthy.

In Europe, it will maintain its lead over the 360, and once the big guns arrive on the PS3, the effect will be similar to what Halo did to the 360 in America.

In America, its the worst for Sony. All the "cool kids" have Wiis and 360s.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

now its the "cool kids" fault, really i think its just gaming library, and value, hd formats are not taking off like some thought they would.

side note im not one of those cool kids but;
viva pinata should have been a pack in, every girl ive every let play has gone out and got a 360...

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network
shams said:

Well - from initial reports, it seems that the PS3 (40Gig) is off to a "decent" start in Japan. Decent - but not great:

"Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported that the first day sales of the new 40GB PS3 is 31,000 units for the Ceramic White model and 5,000 units for the Standard Black model; and around 70,000 to 100,000 Dual Shock 3 were sold on the same day."

(first day for the price drops, Dynasty Warriors release + White 40Gig model release)

Sales in the US however have failed to dramatically improve. Maybe next week, once Uncharted gets released?

At least, if it does 44k in Japan - it hits 180k for the week (worldwide). That isn't too bad. And the rise in sales in Europe is very heartening (marketing? lead up to Xmas?).

The challenge now is building on the sales in Europe/US, without having the sales in Japan slide (which they could after a new hardware release).

All in all, its tracking slightly under my "best case scenario" at the moment - and a long way behind what Sony needs to make their fiscal predictions

well we had ps3 fans downplaying the 360 outselling it last week because they needed a new bundle and a big release at the same time to do it....well that is exactly what has happened here again with the ps3 likely outselling the Wii.  The PS3 has very very little for the rest of the holiday season in japan though, it's unfortunate. 

Did you guys know the gamecube outsold the ps2 by about 100k on the week when SSBM was released?  Just a little tidbit.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I still say the increase (in Japan) is not enough for my liking. A LOT of people would have been hanging out for it - and it was on the weekend, so a lot would have picked it up.

But - the timing is good for Sony. This week it has a FULL week to sell (new model, DW, etc..) - much may depend on how impressed people are with the game or new unit.

And after this week, holiday season gets into full swing. Sales will be distorted upwards until Xmas is over - and Jan begins.

I stick by my prediction of another 2.0-2.5m more sales for the rest of the year - which is still good for Sony if they pull it off.

That does however, leave them with around 6m to sell - in the first 3 months of '08 (to make fiscal) - which is of course *impossible*. Expect a downgrade of at least 2m for the end of the fiscal year after this qrt is completed.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Top best hyped games on 360 and Ps3

Halo 3
Launch sales
1) 2,844,837
2) 607,401
3) 294,696

R&C PS3

Launch sales
1) 97,055
2) 46,489
3) 38,610

They are americas figures.

Well with WKC to hit Japan in December the PS3 sales should stay high for a little bit.

I'll take the case!!!