By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do most third party publishers ignore the Wii completely ?

Innervate said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
dampowell said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Xen said:
theRepublic said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"which is sad, because we havent seen a true blockbuster third party game on the Wii."

Monster Hunter 3. The top selling third party game in Japanese home systems this generation.

I've noticed several people forgetting about that game.  It probably has something to do with the fact that it isn't out in all regions yet.

I've noticed both of you forgetting about FF XIII.

But you didn't notice me already getting reminded, and me admitting the goof.

I am willing to bet my house and two shoes... that if DQX remains single platform it takes the crown for highest selling third party game this generation in Japan. Matter of fact I will throw in some doritos and cheese sauce too.

But Dragon Quest is a casual series. Or will be once that happens.

If 2D Mario can be considered a "non-game" by the Industry, I am sure this game will be too.

Looking at sales figures for both DQIX and FFXIII, DQX has the potential to outsell FFXIII's LTD in its first week if it charts similarly to DQIX and FFXIII sells on par with X-2. The whole internet would enrupt into a shitstorm.

huh? say what? Who said that? I mean, that's sarcasm right?

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
boilermaker11 said:
I have a question that is analagous to the continuing question of 3rd party Wii support:

Why are 3rd parties still making inferior PS3 versions of their games? Most recently, Bayonetta? For 3 years, they done it over and over. Why won't they put more effort into their PS3 ports? I prematurely bought a PS3 thinking that since it was the most powerful, the games would be the best. But nooooo....instead they make the 360 versions of better quality.....

See what I did there? That's what Wii fans are doing here. I could have sulked and continued to complain about inferior PS3 ports, but instead rectified my gaming problem by getting a 360. Wii fans have all the possibility to do the same thing. You all bought your console based on certain assumptions that didn't come to fruition, so I suggest you fix your problem. As I stated before, if you want games with better effort behind them....you know where to get them, and since this thread has gone on for 200+ posts, you all must recognize that the place to get them is not on the Wii.

So what're you going to do? Sit back and watch as these developers pull support of "core" games for the Wii, and continually ask why? Or will you realize the obvious, go HD, and get the games that they are putting great amounts of effort into? Several times, you ask "why are they only making games for HD?"....You guys realize that they are only making games for HD, and you obviously want those games, so why don't you go HD as well. It's simple logic, really....

Many of us (probably most of us) do own a HD console, but realized that graphics, physics and AI hit a point in the last generation (potentially before that) where the value from effort spent improving them was smaller than the value from effort spent improving the user interface. Between the success of the Wii and the Nintendo DS, and the success of games with controllers designed specifically for them (guitar hero, rock-band), it should be clear that the people are looking for alternatives to the conventional controller and the fact that so many publishers are afraid to put any effort into meeting these desires is pretty sad.

I see what you're saying, but the graphics, and in particular the physics really have improved greatly from last gen. I don't know about you but in certain games, atmosphere, animation and creating a dynamic world is really important, and the extra power of the HD consoles really does show over the Wii. Take FPS games for instance, I love playing them on the Wii because of the Wii-mote, however, because of the power contraints they always seem to be lacking the dynamic world that the HD counterparts have. They just feel a bit static. I don't know how else to describe it. There are just more things happening/moving on screen at any give point in time.

The other point is that whilst the Wii unterface is an improvement/refinement for some genres, for others it just doesn't work or no-one has figured out a way to make it work. My cousin for instance bought a Wii as he plays games casually and saw all the adverts, but he hated the way the football games played on it and sold it soon after and has gone back to PS2.

Lastly, publishers and devs seem quite excited about MS and (less so) Sony's motion sensor stuff, with a number of companies already pledging there support for core style games (as far as I've been able to tell). So it's not just that publishers are afraid to put efffort into motion control, but specifically (for whatever reason) motion control on the Wii.

Scoobes said:
Innervate said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
dampowell said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Xen said:
theRepublic said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"which is sad, because we havent seen a true blockbuster third party game on the Wii."

Monster Hunter 3. The top selling third party game in Japanese home systems this generation.

I've noticed several people forgetting about that game.  It probably has something to do with the fact that it isn't out in all regions yet.

I've noticed both of you forgetting about FF XIII.

But you didn't notice me already getting reminded, and me admitting the goof.

I am willing to bet my house and two shoes... that if DQX remains single platform it takes the crown for highest selling third party game this generation in Japan. Matter of fact I will throw in some doritos and cheese sauce too.

But Dragon Quest is a casual series. Or will be once that happens.

If 2D Mario can be considered a "non-game" by the Industry, I am sure this game will be too.

Looking at sales figures for both DQIX and FFXIII, DQX has the potential to outsell FFXIII's LTD in its first week if it charts similarly to DQIX and FFXIII sells on par with X-2. The whole internet would enrupt into a shitstorm.

huh? say what? Who said that? I mean, that's sarcasm right?

Not in so many words, but some of the gaming sites and blogs have strongly hinted so.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Because they're afraid of black people:p

Think about it for a sec, Reggie is known for going to 3rd party companies like T2 but, I think they try to avoid eye contact with him when he ask for they're support and they probably lie and say sure we're gonna doing something for the wii.....>.>

Reggienator coming to get them!!!!

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

The wii is aimed at a different audience. Had it not been for casual gamers, and parents wanting to get their kids "a non violent system" the Wii would not have sold as much. With that in mind, most of the market, and limited hardware of the Wii prevent it from seeing a lot of titles.. Others get a completely different game from the HD consoles, just, use the same name... Like... Sonic Unleashed.

Had the Wii had the audience, and hardware to support the games, or, at very least, the audience, it would have most of the games. That's why a lot of games don't sell on Wii.. People who wanted the game already have a 360, or a PS3.

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
The wii is aimed at a different audience. Had it not been for casual gamers, and parents wanting to get their kids "a non violent system" the Wii would not have sold as much. With that in mind, most of the market, and limited hardware of the Wii prevent it from seeing a lot of titles.. Others get a completely different game from the HD consoles, just, use the same name... Like... Sonic Unleashed.

Had the Wii had the audience, and hardware to support the games, or, at very least, the audience, it would have most of the games. That's why a lot of games don't sell on Wii.. People who wanted the game already have a 360, or a PS3.

Right ... Because casual gamers are the kind of people who will repeatedly line-up for the opportunity to buy a system for (roughly) 2 years, or pay a massive mark-up over the retail price on an arbitrary day in the middle of the year; and the more family friendly image skyrocketed the Gamecube to massive success.

I find it odd that 90% of PS3 and XBox 360 fans will claim to own a Wii that is "Gathering dust" (which if true could be blamed on lack of decent third party support) and yet claim that no one would play the games they complain the Wii doesn’t have. The only logical explanations for this is that these people are liars or they are in some sort of existential nightmare where they don’t believe that they exist.

^Cognitive dissonance

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

boilermaker11 said:
I have a question that is analagous to the continuing question of 3rd party Wii support:

Why are 3rd parties still making inferior PS3 versions of their games? Most recently, Bayonetta? For 3 years, they done it over and over. Why won't they put more effort into their PS3 ports? I prematurely bought a PS3 thinking that since it was the most powerful, the games would be the best. But nooooo....instead they make the 360 versions of better quality.....

See what I did there? That's what Wii fans are doing here. I could have sulked and continued to complain about inferior PS3 ports, but instead rectified my gaming problem by getting a 360. Wii fans have all the possibility to do the same thing. You all bought your console based on certain assumptions that didn't come to fruition, so I suggest you fix your problem. As I stated before, if you want games with better effort behind them....you know where to get them, and since this thread has gone on for 200+ posts, you all must recognize that the place to get them is not on the Wii.

So what're you going to do? Sit back and watch as these developers pull support of "core" games for the Wii, and continually ask why? Or will you realize the obvious, go HD, and get the games that they are putting great amounts of effort into? Several times, you ask "why are they only making games for HD?"....You guys realize that they are only making games for HD, and you obviously want those games, so why don't you go HD as well. It's simple logic, really....

You know, I'm really tired of people saying stuff like this.  Yeah, I'd like to get an HD console, but where exactly am I supposed to take the money from?  The clothing budget for my kids?  How about food?  That's overrated.  Maybe I could not pay the car insurance for a couple months.  Or skip the house payment.  I'm sure they'd understand if I told them that all the HD fanboys on the interwebz said I need a PS3.

PhalanxCO said:
boilermaker11 said:

You know, I'm really tired of people saying stuff like this.  Yeah, I'd like to get an HD console, but where exactly am I supposed to take the money from?  The clothing budget for my kids?  How about food?  That's overrated.  Maybe I could not pay the car insurance for a couple months.  Or skip the house payment.  I'm sure they'd understand if I told them that all the HD fanboys on the interwebz said I need a PS3.

Get a second job! I thought Sony made this clear.  Don't be mad because you can't afford the latest and greatest. Work harder for it.  

HappySqurriel said:
Burning Typhoon said:

Right ... Because casual gamers are the kind of people who will repeatedly line-up for the opportunity to buy a system for (roughly) 2 years, or pay a massive mark-up over the retail price on an arbitrary day in the middle of the year; and the more family friendly image skyrocketed the Gamecube to massive success.

I find it odd that 90% of PS3 and XBox 360 fans will claim to own a Wii that is "Gathering dust" (which if true could be blamed on lack of decent third party support) and yet claim that no one would play the games they complain the Wii doesn’t have. The only logical explanations for this is that these people are liars or they are in some sort of existential nightmare where they don’t believe that they exist.

I never got the dust thing anyway, do people dust their consoles when they play them or something?

My Ps3 has more dust then my Wii on it, but that's because it's bigger :/.