By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - pirated games of 2009 with numbers (mw2 5.1m)

This thread has recently become very interesting. I'll get my popcorn.

Around the Network
Ail said:

The truth is Acitivision is hidding the real number of PC sales as they are using those profit to fund their secret operations in Area 51.............

There's no reasoning with Shio, don't even try he lives in his own special world( where every game on PC sells million units, piracy has no effect on companies profit at all and billions of games are sold every year on Steam).

Good for you, you just reached douchebag status. You aren't able to post a good counter-argument, so you resort to insults.

Please refute the fact that:

- Call of Duty 4 dominated Steam, D2D and Retail Top Charts for months
- Stalker didn't perform anywhere near COD4 in top charts, but still sold over 2 millions
- Crysis didn't perform anywhere near COD4 in top charts, but still sold 1.5 million in it's first six months

How, exactly, does it cost $40 to burn a BR disc? You can get them for well under $4. Are we counting in electricity, Internet, and hardware costs as well, or something? If it's $40 to burn a BR is it $5 to burn a DVD?

Seriously, where are you pulling this number from? I just typed "blu ray burnable disc" into Google and one of the first things I saw was an offer for 25 BR discs for $29. Even if you were looking at the more expensive dual layer BR discs it only takes a quick look at Newegg to see that those are available for under $20. And on top of that, you'd only need 2 of them since the only games that big on the PS3 are MGS4 and FF13.

Seriously, no unnecessary attacks like that other guy, you don't seem to know much of what you're talking about stage. You're just plain dead wrong on the facts, and as such there's simply no justification for your belief. BR burning is not that expensive, hasn't been for quite some time now, and the fact that hacking console hardware can make you some serious money makes it unlikely that the costs were ever an issue to begin with. It's the security that PS3 has, plain and simple. The fact that there's an entire processor that functions as a security measure and nothing else should speak to that.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

ssj12 said:
frankly im glad CODMW2 was pirated so badly, remove a standard PC game feature and act like its nothing, let the game rot in the eyes of PC gamers. Ill take my CS, DOD, BF, and Unreal any day of the week.

The removal of DS had nothing to do with MW2 being pirated over 4 million times since launch, imo. It would have been pirated that much anyway, and imo, I think it would probably have been pirated much more, had more PC gamers actually had an interest in it.

Piracy isn't something PC gamers do to take revenge on developers who make bad games. It's just something a lot of PC gamers do, period. Not all, but obviously enough where developers should take notice.

I don't mean for this to sound preachy, but either way, I pay for my games, and I'm never glad when ANY game is pirated, and imho, neither should anyone be. Pirates aren't special. They shouldn't be able to play a game for free before launch, that millions of us paid 60 dollars for just because they decided that no one can stop them from doing it, and the developer "deserves" to be stolen from. It is not a form of civil disobediance, it is outright criminal, and certainly accepting it here, leads you down a slippery slope. Paying for things, like them or not, is what makes society work. When you don't pay for things, because you don't like them, YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE THEM FOR FREE. That logic is completely nonsensical.

If I hate a McFish, can I just go steal one for free, and even though I stole it, do I still have the right to complain about how much it sucks? That is spoiled, illegal, selfish, amoral, and arrogant all at the same time, and it is exactly why I despise the justifications for it.

I hope the game industry puts an end to this sooner rather than later. You wanna talk loss of PC game features? Just how loud are the screams gonna rise when Activision does away with piracy next time, a primary staple of PC gaming, and MUCH more popular than DS ever were.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Quoting myself from another topic:

I for one am REALLY REALLY happy with the MW2 numbers. Serves those idiots at Activision right. I certainly hope it got pirated more than it sold on the PC.

Before anyone says "ZOMG PC PIRACY!!111eleven" notice that all top 5 of the games on the PC sucked the big one hard, except maybe the Sims, which probably sold more than Thriller....

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network

Not surprising. Although some people who boycott games do end up buying them anyway (see: L4D2 and MW2), I bet a lot of them torrent as a way of getting the game while simultaneously flipping the bird to the developer.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
ssj12 said:
frankly im glad CODMW2 was pirated so badly, remove a standard PC game feature and act like its nothing, let the game rot in the eyes of PC gamers. Ill take my CS, DOD, BF, and Unreal any day of the week.

The removal of DS had nothing to do with MW2 being pirated over 4 million times since launch, imo. It would have been pirated that much anyway, and imo, I think it would probably have been pirated much more, had more PC gamers actually had an interest in it.

Piracy isn't something PC gamers do to take revenge on developers who make bad games. It's just something a lot of PC gamers do, period. Not all, but obviously enough where developers should take notice.

I don't mean for this to sound preachy, but either way, I pay for my games, and I'm never glad when ANY game is pirated, and imho, neither should anyone be. Pirates aren't special. They shouldn't be able to play a game for free before launch, that millions of us paid 60 dollars for just because they decided that no one can stop them from doing it, and the developer "deserves" to be stolen from. It is not a form of civil disobediance, it is outright criminal, and certainly accepting it here, leads you down a slippery slope. Paying for things, like them or not, is what makes society work. When you don't pay for things, because you don't like them, YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE THEM FOR FREE. That logic is completely nonsensical.

If I hate a McFish, can I just go steal one for free, and even though I stole it, do I still have the right to complain about how much it sucks? That is spoiled, illegal, selfish, amoral, and arrogant all at the same time, and it is exactly why I despise the justifications for it.

I hope the game industry puts an end to this sooner rather than later. You wanna talk loss of PC game features? Just how loud are the screams gonna rise when Activision does away with piracy next time, a primary staple of PC gaming, and MUCH more popular than DS ever were.

Your quote is BULLSHIT. Why is it that the top 5 games are shit? Outside of the Sims, which probably sold so much that it's not even funny?

Removeal of DS really had everything to do with it. It's sort of a "fuck you activision," also the fact that you can actually hack and get far far moe features, like the console, up on a hacked version over the retail also helped it out a bit.

I also laugh at your McFish argument, or any argument equating piracy and tangible material theft.

I'll leave you with these 2 links to think about. Please don't respond without reading them:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090219/1124433835.shtml

and now Blizzard:

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/204/starcraft-ii-developers-talk-single-player/2     (it's the 2nd to last question on that page)

So let me get this straight, the top 2 PC games developers somehow MAGICALLY avoid this piracy thing. But oh no, the developers who release shit on the PC must be right! OBVIOUSLY!

P.S. Even twesterm backed out of this thread: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=95410&page=1 you should just do the same.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shoestar said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shoestar said:
A lot of people don't buy PS3s because simply, it's impossible to play pirated games on them. Some people only buy a few pirated games... they only buy originals when they want to play that game online.

bullshit. A lot of people are buying PS3's because the games are there and the price dropped. This is where the pirate demons follow. They will eventually crack it.

As for PC gaming those numbers were predictable.

You are not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? oh well... a little bit of statistics for you :)

The X360 was hacked in the 1st year it came out with less than 5mil X360 sold... 

The Wii was hacked within 6 months it came out with less than 10 mil units sold.  

The PS3 has been out for over 3 years, sold over 30 mil units (only 5mil units approx less than the x360). Sells more than the X360 World Wide every year except its launch year with only reason while it is trailing behind is because it launched a year later than the X360. Fact, the PS3 is not hacked simply because it's freakin damn hard to do... MUCH MUCH harder than anything that existed prior to it...  It isn't because of sales numbers that the PS3 wasn't hacked.

Moreover, I could search for the thousand of articles describing how MS screwed up with the security leaks, and how complicated the hardware security for the PS3 is and list a few of these articles for you... but ur not significant enough :)

You're obviously not getting my point and secondly I do not respond to ad hominem attacks. The The 360 was at a somewhat fair market price the instant it launched. The PS3 was nowhere in that ballpark and took it three years just to reach market price. This makes it easier for hackers and potential pirates to mod and get their hands on newer games. The PS3 firmware has long since been cracked (in 2007).  The main reason it isn't spreading like the 360 is because the 360 is DVD-9 and the PS3. Recording Blu Ray discs would cost just under actual sales price to copy/burn (somewhere around $40). The size of the disc space also hurts the need for piracy on a PS3. Third of all, if you are caught with a hacked PS3 game Sony will ban you. For the few people who are dumb enough to do that it wont be hard enough for Sony to wipe the slate clean with them. Microsoft have/ and continue to axe plenty of people, but when it starts the bug is hard to stop.

Sony is just as bad as Microsoft. The only difference is its pointless to burn blu ray discs. It's just too expensive. You know nothing of what you speak, especially if you believe their firmware hasn't been hacked.

That is far from the truth...

Blank writable Blu Ray cost around 1$ in Japan and 3$ on NewEgg......

You are the one that know nothing of what you are talking...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Just providing the entire charts. Would be nice if you edit them in your OP.

PC Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009
# game downloads released
torrentfreak.com
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (4,100,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 The Sims 3 (3,200,000) (June. 2009)
3 Prototype (2,350,000) (June. 2009)
4 Need For Speed Shift (2,100,000) (Sept. 2009)
5 Street Fighter IV (1,850,000) (July. 2009)
Xbox 360 Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009
torrentfreak.com
1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 Street Fighter IV (840,000) (July. 2009)
3 Prototype (810,000) (Feb. 2009)
4 Dirt 2 (790,000) (Sept. 2009)
5 UFC 2009 Undisputed (720,000) (Mar. 2009)
Wii Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2009
as of December 27, 2009
torrentfreak.com
1 New Super Mario Bros. (1,150,000) (Nov. 2009)
2 Punch-Out!! (950,000) (May. 2009)
3 Wii Sports Resort (920,000) (July. 2009)
4 The House of the Dead: Overkill (860,000) (Feb. 2009)
5 Mario Power Tennis (830,000) (Mar. 2009)

I guess this would be a good time to point out that those torrent numbers don't include private trackers.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka