By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - pirated games of 2009 with numbers (mw2 5.1m)

SaviorX said:
I think it is great how difficult the PS3 is to pirate. Sounds dumb, but Sony should tell the competition what they put in their console to make it unhackable.

It's a combination of factors really. Kind of like how there was no gamecube mod until several years into the GCs life. There was a way to play copied games before that, but it was complicated. Sony learned their lesson and took away some of the reason people had to mod their consoles by making games region free and allowing users to install linux. In addition to that, a good part of the ps3's library is shared with the x360, meaning that those who are looking to play copied games could just play them on the already hacked 360. It's not like the ps2 where most of best games of the generation were on that console and nowhere else. The tech clearly makes it hard to hack as well... though I just think the motivation isn't what it was with the ps2.

Had the ps3 been as dominant as the ps2 last gen with as many exclusives, there would have been some sort of solution out there for copied games by now. It may have been incredibly complicated though.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
Kudistos Megistos said:
Gilgamesh said:

Damn that's bad, good thing you cant pirate on the PS3

Yes, since Sony rely so heavily on software sales to make up for losses on hardware, they'd be in BIG trouble if people could pirate their games.

Soriku said:

What's the reason the PS3 hasn't been cracked yet? Too complicated? Sony did a good job with piracy on PS3.

I believe it's a bit of both. I don't know too much about console hacking, so I'll assume that this bloke is right.

EDIT: Damn you Gilgamesh, posting that link before me 

Uh...you do realize that pretty much all consoles/handhelds rely on software sales to make money?

Feylic said:
Kudistos Megistos said:
Gilgamesh said:

Yes, since Sony rely so heavily on software sales to make up for losses on hardware, they'd be in BIG trouble if people could pirate their games.

Soriku said:

What's the reason the PS3 hasn't been cracked yet? Too complicated? Sony did a good job with piracy on PS3.

I believe it's a bit of both. I don't know too much about console hacking, so I'll assume that this bloke is right.

Uh...you do realize that pretty much all consoles/handhelds rely on software sales to make money?

Ahem; I believe I said "Sony rely so heavily on software sales to make up for losses on hardware". That's a very different statement from "Sony rely on software sales to make up for losses on hardware".

Yes, it's normal for software sales to make up for a lack of profit (or even a loss) on hardware, but with the PS3, AFAIK, the situation has been worse than with the other consoles (in this generation), so the need to sell as much software as possible for every unit of hardware has been greater. I didn't say that the PS3 was the only console that has relied on software sales, just that it's more of an issue for the PS3 than the others in this generation because the loss Sony has taken on each PS3 seems to have been greater than the losses for the others (at any rate, a lot more has been made of the high manufacturing cost of the PS3 in the news than the cost of the 360 or Wii, although the higher retail price of the PS3 and calls for a price cut have no doubt increased the media coverage).

Kudistos Megistos said:
Feylic said:
Kudistos Megistos said:
Gilgamesh said:

Soriku said:

Ahem; I believe I said "Sony rely so heavily on software sales to make up for losses on hardware". That's a very different statement from "Sony rely on software sales to make up for losses on hardware".

Yes, it's normal for software sales to make up for a lack of profit (or even a loss) on hardware, but with the PS3, AFAIK, the situation has been worse than with the other consoles (in this generation), so the need to sell as much software as possible for every unit of hardware has been greater. I didn't say that the PS3 was the only console that has relied on software sales, just that it's more of an issue for the PS3 than the others in this generation because the loss Sony has taken on each PS3 seems to have been greater than the losses for the others (at any rate, a lot more has been made of the high manufacturing cost of the PS3 in the news than the cost of the 360 or Wii, although the higher retail price of the PS3 and calls for a price cut have no doubt increased the media coverage).

Well I don't think it's that much more heavily than the other console manufacturers, but I guess it is more of an issue for Sony than the others, in the same sense that 1.01 is "more" than 1.00...

nightsurge said:
*waits for shio to come in and post how CoD4 on PC sold 10 million despite all the mounting evidence to show that both it and MW2 on PC received gargantuan levels of piracy and had very low sales overall*

There's no evidence that COD4 sold little on PC. Unless Activision releases the figures, we can only estimate.

What I can tell you is that, COD4 dominated Steam and D2D for months, and dominated on retail for months on and off. It was above Crysis in every chart imaginable, and guess what, Crysis sold 1 million in just 45 days (plus another 500k in the first six months).

Stalker, for example, barely even showed up in any top chart, but it has sold over 2 millions and is probably on it's way to 3 millions lifetime.

Are you telling me that COD4 sold in the same level of Stalker and Crysis?!

coolestguyever said:
No wonder IW fucked over PC gamers with no dedicated servers (whatever that means; apparently its bad), they pirated the hell out of it.

If I was a developer I would never waste my time putting my game on PC.

Good riddance, no one cares about IW anymore on PC. They screwed up badly and now are taking the losses.

nightsurge said:
coolestguyever said:
No wonder IW fucked over PC gamers with no dedicated servers (whatever that means; apparently its bad), they pirated the hell out of it.

If I was a developer I would never waste my time putting my game on PC.

Agreed.  CoD4 was pirated like crazy and only had 1-3 million total sales.  Although, if you talk to Shio he'll post a super long thing where he rampantly speculates on how CoD4 on PC actually sold 10 million   Despite all the evidence being to the contrary.

Source?

Around the Network

frankly im glad CODMW2 was pirated so badly, remove a standard PC game feature and act like its nothing, let the game rot in the eyes of PC gamers. Ill take my CS, DOD, BF, and Unreal any day of the week.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

@Shio

I'm not going to bother with sources.  I've showed you them all before.  They have released numbers on many occasions which only left 1-3 million possible for the PC version.  You know this.  You just can't accept it and instead make wild assumptions based off of rankings in a few digital distribution rankings.  No hard figures, no hard facts, all speculation.

nightsurge said:

@Shio

I'm not going to bother with sources.  I've showed you them all before.  They have released numbers on many occasions which only left 1-3 million possible for the PC version.  You know this.  You just can't accept it and instead make wild assumptions based off of rankings in a few digital distribution rankings.  No hard figures, no hard facts, all speculation.

No, they didn't. This was debunked already.

When they released that COD4 sold 7 millions it was only the sales of a few select countries. Consoles only had sold around 5 millions in those countries, leaving 2 millions for PC, and we are not even counting the PC sales of dozens of PC-centric countries that weren't included AND digital sales.

The truth is Acitivision is hidding the real number of PC sales as they are using those profit to fund their secret operations in Area 51.............

There's no reasoning with Shio, don't even try he lives in his own special world( where every game on PC sells million units, piracy has no effect on companies profit at all and billions of games are sold every year on Steam).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Shoestar said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shoestar said:
A lot of people don't buy PS3s because simply, it's impossible to play pirated games on them. Some people only buy a few pirated games... they only buy originals when they want to play that game online.

bullshit. A lot of people are buying PS3's because the games are there and the price dropped. This is where the pirate demons follow. They will eventually crack it.

As for PC gaming those numbers were predictable.

You are not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? oh well... a little bit of statistics for you :)

The X360 was hacked in the 1st year it came out with less than 5mil X360 sold... 

The Wii was hacked within 6 months it came out with less than 10 mil units sold.  

The PS3 has been out for over 3 years, sold over 30 mil units (only 5mil units approx less than the x360). Sells more than the X360 World Wide every year except its launch year with only reason while it is trailing behind is because it launched a year later than the X360. Fact, the PS3 is not hacked simply because it's freakin damn hard to do... MUCH MUCH harder than anything that existed prior to it...  It isn't because of sales numbers that the PS3 wasn't hacked.

Moreover, I could search for the thousand of articles describing how MS screwed up with the security leaks, and how complicated the hardware security for the PS3 is and list a few of these articles for you... but ur not significant enough :)

You're obviously not getting my point and secondly I do not respond to ad hominem attacks. The The 360 was at a somewhat fair market price the instant it launched. The PS3 was nowhere in that ballpark and took it three years just to reach market price. This makes it easier for hackers and potential pirates to mod and get their hands on newer games. The PS3 firmware has long since been cracked (in 2007).  The main reason it isn't spreading like the 360 is because the 360 is DVD-9 and the PS3. Recording Blu Ray discs would cost just under actual sales price to copy/burn (somewhere around $40). The size of the disc space also hurts the need for piracy on a PS3. Third of all, if you are caught with a hacked PS3 game Sony will ban you. For the few people who are dumb enough to do that it wont be hard enough for Sony to wipe the slate clean with them. Microsoft have/ and continue to axe plenty of people, but when it starts the bug is hard to stop.

Sony is just as bad as Microsoft. The only difference is its pointless to burn blu ray discs. It's just too expensive. You know nothing of what you speak, especially if you believe their firmware hasn't been hacked.