By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - pirated games of 2009 with numbers (mw2 5.1m)

Ail said:
vlad321 said:

The Wii game I gave you was Just Dance. Again I ask you how much time and money went into that title and whether it would be just more profitable money waise to make fast cheap games which sell for about a million than spend long periods of time and wasting hundreds of millions. My guess is that it's the former. Also SEGA posted losses not because of the Olympic Games, infact that's why they broke even, but probably because of their HD games.

Many many companies have made a subscription based game. Aion, Warhammer, EVE, Everquest 2, Lineage 2. Yet Blizzard manages to make money... wonder why that is?

I'm also willing to bet you that the L4D2 sold more on the PC than it did on the 360. In factjust after release (and keep in mind PC sales aren't frontloaded) they annonced they ahd sold over 2 million compies, only about 900k of them were on the 360. That's even without the fact that PC games sell for years and years (starcraft  only sold 1 mil in its first year, it's over 10 mil now).

By the way all those games you mention haven't been pirated much either.
How come ?

They are that good, or is it that server/subscription based games are mostly pirate proof ?  

They re obviously not pirate proof, also weren't you the one telling me how companies were sending out desist orders to pirated servers? Obviously hey aren't pirate proof  if that happens. The other games are't bad... just not as good as WoW, thus not worth the timesink.

You are still dodging the L4D2 and piracy question. How is it that it has not been pirated so much?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:

The Wii game I gave you was Just Dance. Again I ask you how much time and money went into that title and whether it would be just more profitable money waise to make fast cheap games which sell for about a million than spend long periods of time and wasting hundreds of millions. My guess is that it's the former. Also SEGA posted losses not because of the Olympic Games, infact that's why they broke even, but probably because of their HD games.

Many many companies have made a subscription based game. Aion, Warhammer, EVE, Everquest 2, Lineage 2. Yet Blizzard manages to make money... wonder why that is?

I'm also willing to bet you that the L4D2 sold more on the PC than it did on the 360. In factjust after release (and keep in mind PC sales aren't frontloaded) they annonced they ahd sold over 2 million compies, only about 900k of them were on the 360. That's even without the fact that PC games sell for years and years (starcraft  only sold 1 mil in its first year, it's over 10 mil now).

How come ?

They are that good, or is it that server/subscription based games are mostly pirate proof ?  

They re obviously not pirate proof, also weren't you the one telling me how companies were sending out desist orders to pirated servers? Obviously hey aren't pirate proof  if that happens. The other games are't bad... just not as good as WoW, thus not worth the timesink.

You are still dodging the L4D2 and piracy question. How is it that it has not been pirated so much?

The fact companies are sending desists orders is what make those games mostly pirate proof.

Players can't expect to be playing on a pirate server for any significant amount of time, and each time the pirate server goes poof, so goes all the data of your character... That will stop the most hardcore...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:

How come ?

The fact companies are sending desists orders is what make those games mostly pirate proof.

Players can't expect to be playing on a pirate server for any significant amount of time, and each time the pirate server goes poof, so goes all the data of your character... That will stop the most hardcore...

Desist orders only work in mostly the US and a few EU countries, at best. Those are also the countries with the least piracy rates.

I would stilllove to hear your explanation for the lack of L$D2 piracy, or Team Fortress 2 piracy backwhen it came out. Or any f the Orange box games for that matter back when they came out.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:

How come ?

Desist orders only work in mostly the US and a few EU countries, at best. Those are also the countries with the least piracy rates.

I would stilllove to hear your explanation for the lack of L$D2 piracy, or Team Fortress 2 piracy backwhen it came out. Or any f the Orange box games for that matter back when they came out.

And you know many people outside of those countries able to come up quickly with the servers and bandwidth needed to host a MMORPG server ( not mentionning the costs associated to that, especially if it is run as a free server)...

US is the cheapest place to rent a server and the associated needed bandwidth. If you want to do the same thing in another country it's going to cost you more, which is kind of a problem if you're hosting a free WoW pirate server...

Not mentionning the fact that you have no guarantee on how long the server will be up. The  key about MMORPG is your char and what you did to attain your current status. No MMORPG player wants to face the possibility to loose it without having any control over it...

For someone claiming to have a lot of PC knowledge you sure are showing a lack of basic MMORPG knowledge. Do you even play those PC games you keep defending ?

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:

How come ?

And you know many people outside of those countries able to come up quickly with the servers and bandwidth needed to host a MMORPG server ( not mentionning the costs associated to that, especially if it is run as a free server)...

US is the cheapest place to rent a server and the associated needed bandwidth. If you want to do the same thing in another country it's going to cost you more, which is kind of a problem if you're hosting a free WoW pirate server...

Not mentionning the fact that you have no guarantee on how long the server will be up. The  key about MMORPG is your char and what you did to attain your current status. No MMORPG player wants to face the possibility to loose it without having any control over it...

For someone claiming to have a lot of PC knowledge you sure are showing a lack of basic MMORPG knowledge. Do you even play those PC games you keep defending ?

That's actually utterly false. The US is very pathetic when it comes to bandwidth and internet penetration. Especially when compared to some Asian countries, which incidentally also play the most MMOs.

Also since you know so much I'm also sure you know that if push comes to shove, the private servers can increase exp gain by 255x and change loot tables as they see fit, in case the database goes down and people need to make up. But of course I'm sure you knew this.

P.S. Where are your sorry excuses about lack of piracy on Valve's recent titles?

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:

How come ?

That's actually utterly false. The US is very pathetic when it comes to bandwidth and internet penetration. Especially when compared to some Asian countries, which incidentally also play the most MMOs.

Also since you know so much I'm also sure you know that if push comes to shove, the private servers can increase exp gain by 255x and change loot tables as they see fit, in case the database goes down and people need to make up. But of course I'm sure you knew this.

P.S. Where are your sorry excuses about lack of piracy on Valve's recent titles?

And what exactly is a point of playing a MMORPG if you are instantly maximum level with all the gear ?

I know a few folks in my guild that tried those servers to test raid stuff and none of them would ever consider canceling their subscription to play on those types of servers...

Bandwidth penetration has nothing to do with how much a dedicated server cost.

For example about the cheapest Counter Strike server you can get will cost you 0.79$ per slot in the US ( no voice, just basic CS 1.6, private slots). You will not find any cheaper anywhere in any Asian country...

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:

How come ?

And what exactly is a point of playing a MMORPG if you are instantly maximum level with all the gear ?

I know a few folks in my guild that tried those servers to test raid stuff and none of them would ever consider canceling their subscription to play on those types of servers...

Bandwidth penetration has nothing to do with how much a dedicated server cost.

For example about the cheapest Counter Strike server you can get will cost you 0.79$ per slot in the US ( no voice, just basic CS 1.6, private slots). You will not find any cheaper anywhere in any Asian country...

Well see that's the thing. They were already paying for WoW, with invested heavily invested time on their characters.

I wasn't just talking abut penetration. They have better bandwidth overall. Also with adjustments and things I doubt a server there would cost to much.

do you know how much internet connect of one meg costs here its $700. so to get 4 meg you would pay anywhere between $3000 to $8000.

elticker said:
do you know how much internet connect of one meg costs here its $700. so to get 4 meg you would pay anywhere between $3000 to $8000.

I don't think that the UK was in the top 10 either, so i don't know why you bother mentioning that. Might as well have told me that people in Rwanda don't have much internet.

i am not living in the uk