By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - pirated games of 2009 with numbers (mw2 5.1m)

vlad321 said:
Ail said:

MW2 has now officially outsold CoD4 on the 360 and the PS3 ( and still sold over 1 million units week).

LTD CoD4 sales :
360 : 8.06 million units
PS3 : 4.93 million units
Total : 12.99 million units

MW2 so far after 7 week :
360 : 8.40 million units
PS3 : 5.71 million units
Total : 14.11 million units.

Guess what platform will be the focus of the next MW ?

PS : and what exactly is dumbed down on consoles on MW2 compared to CoD4 ? Answer : Nothing...

I was talking about the PC but alright...

If they are gonna forgo consoles why do they even bother making more CoDs when games on the wii can obviously rake in far far more profit?

what third party software has sold as much as MW2 on the Wii ?

It's not like World at war or Reflex have sold 10 millions unit

The Wii audience is just not that big for fps....

Heck which third party exactly is swimming in cash thanks to their Wii profit ?

And no you were not talking about PC.

Here is a quote of what you said : 'All that MW2 shows is that dumbed-down games sell more on consoles, and fail miserably on PCs.'

Might want to switch that history minor for an english one...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

MW2 has now officially outsold CoD4 on the 360 and the PS3 ( and still sold over 1 million units week).

LTD CoD4 sales :

PS : and what exactly is dumbed down on consoles on MW2 compared to CoD4 ? Answer : Nothing...

If they are gonna forgo consoles why do they even bother making more CoDs when games on the wii can obviously rake in far far more profit?

Here is a quote of what you said : 'All that MW2 shows is that dumbed-down games sell more on consoles, and fail miserably on PCs.'

Why would they even bother making FPS games? They can spend a few million and still make profits easily with some training games. If memory serves me right, MW2 was made for 200 million, a Wii title would be 1/100th of that. They can also keep churning out such things endlessly for non-stop profits.

That quote pertains solely to the PC sales, since you involved consoles then the Wii also gets thrown in the mix. Might want to actually get educated first.

I guess I have to spell it out for you. If profits are literally all that matter and games stop being made for the PC, why the hell should they continue to make games on HD consoles when Wii games can make profits much much much more easily?

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

Why would they even bother making FPS games? They can spend a few million and still make profits easily with some training games. If memory serves me right, MW2 was made for 200 million, a Wii title would be 1/100th of that. They can also keep churning out such things endlessly for non-stop profits.

That quote pertains solely to the PC sales, since you involved consoles then the Wii also gets thrown in the mix. Might want to actually get educated first.

I guess I have to spell it out for you. If profits are literally all that matter and games stop being made for the PC, why the hell should they continue to make games on HD consoles when Wii games can make profits much much much more easily?

You're getting desesperate there :)

Activision is going to be the top third party publisher this year, not anyone else... You guys went on a public campaign to slander them and IW because you disliked what they did, and the results are in, over 14 million of us voted with our wallet and you lost...

I asked you to name one third party that is reaping benefits from the Wii and you haven't answer, a sure proof you're just fishing...( you need a lot of titles selling 500k-1 million units to generate the same revenue/profit that MW2 on the HD consoles will.)

Thing is the PC release is lucky it's considered almost free in term of costs by most developers because the high level of piracy could make the case that releasing games on the PC is hurting sales on other platforms... ( because some ppls with PC and consoles are just going to pirate it on the PC and might have purchased it otherwise on consoles if there was no PC release).

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

Activision is going to be the top third party publisher this year, not anyone else... You guys went on a public campaign to slander them and IW because you disliked what they did, and the results are in, over 14 million of us voted with our wallet and you lost...

I asked you to name one third party that is reaping benefits from the Wii and you haven't answer, a sure proof you're just fishing...( you need a lot of titles selling 500k-1 million units to generate the same revenue/profit that MW2 on the HD consoles will.)

Thing is the PC release is lucky it's considered almost free in term of costs by most developers because the high level of piracy could make the case that releasing games on the PC is hurting sales on other platforms... ( because some ppls with PC and consoles are just going to pirate it on the PC and might have purchased it otherwise on consoles if there was no PC release).

Your answer is on the front page of this website. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (it's on DS though) even outsold the PS3 version of MW2.

I also wonder how much making that game cost. Probably even less than porting the code to the PITA PS3 architecture. The end result is that while you may not have million sellers like MW2, you also don't need to sell a million compies since they didn't take 200 million to make.

Look at Just Dance, I woner how much money and time it tok to churn that out, and it has sold half a mil in the holiday week. Those devs can probably just keep churning out those games at far less time and far lower costs and make more money than any HD games.

Also Activision numbers also include WoW. Consider the fact that one of the software devs of Blizzard now co-owns a football team, so that must be a pretty huge chunk of profit for them. Also it's on PC only.

You also have failed repeatedly to answer to me how Valve's games and Blizzard's games consistently sell millions on the PC, and don't even make it to the top of the piracy lists. They also seem t be pretty wealthy.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Ail said:

true i lose interest in games when i see them on pc. thats why i am not buying crysis 2 which is using console sales to pay for the production of the PC version they should have stayed on pc. Valve should have also stayed on PC. they created HL and CS which for PC gamers are great. I Loved CS. But didn't like HL. some PC developers I Just don't like to be on Consoles.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

Your answer is on the front page of this website. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (it's on DS though) even outsold the PS3 version of MW2.

I also wonder how much making that game cost. Probably even less than porting the code to the PITA PS3 architecture. The end result is that while you may not have million sellers like MW2, you also don't need to sell a million compies since they didn't take 200 million to make.

Look at Just Dance, I woner how much money and time it tok to churn that out, and it has sold half a mil in the holiday week. Those devs can probably just keep churning out those games at far less time and far lower costs and make more money than any HD games.

Also Activision numbers also include WoW. Consider the fact that one of the software devs of Blizzard now co-owns a football team, so that must be a pretty huge chunk of profit for them. Also it's on PC only.

You also have failed repeatedly to answer to me how Valve's games and Blizzard's games consistently sell millions on the PC, and don't even make it to the top of the piracy lists. They also seem t be pretty wealthy.

That Mario name in the game and inside the game doesn't come for cheap......

Sega has to pay Nintendo for it..

Why else do you think that the year Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games broke every record Sega barely broke even...

And I asked for a Wii game you gave me a DS game, try again....

Blizzard makes a fortune because their recent games are server and subscription based which means they are mostly pirate proof...

And Valve sees where the money is coming from..

They had never released a PC and console game simultaneously before 14 months ago. And have done so twice in the last 14 months..

Based on what number we have so far it's likely L4D2 console revenue will be superior to the PC revenue...( L4D2 and MW2 have been trading spots on Steam best sellers list so don't go tell me it sold 3 millions+ units or the PC, that would invalidate your argument that MW2 failed on the PC..)

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

Why else do you think that the year Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games broke every record Sega barely broke even...

Blizzard makes a fortune because their recent games are server and subscription based which means they are mostly pirate proof...

They had never released a PC and console game simultaneously before 14 months ago. And have done so twice in the last 14 months..

Based on what number we have so far it's likely L4D2 console revenue will be superior to the PC revenue...( L4D2 and MW2 have been trading spots on Steam best sellers list so don't go tell me it sold 3 millions+ units or the PC, that would invalidate your argument that MW2 failed on the PC..)

The Wii game I gave you was Just Dance. Again I ask you how much time and money went into that title and whether it would be just more profitable money waise to make fast cheap games which sell for about a million than spend long periods of time and wasting hundreds of millions. My guess is that it's the former. Also SEGA posted losses not because of the Olympic Games, infact that's why they broke even, but probably because of their HD games.

Many many companies have made a subscription based game. Aion, Warhammer, EVE, Everquest 2, Lineage 2. Yet Blizzard manages to make money... wonder why that is?

I'm also willing to bet you that the L4D2 sold more on the PC than it did on the 360. In factjust after release (and keep in mind PC sales aren't frontloaded) they annonced they ahd sold over 2 million compies, only about 900k of them were on the 360. That's even without the fact that PC games sell for years and years (starcraft  only sold 1 mil in its first year, it's over 10 mil now).

vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

The Wii game I gave you was Just Dance. Again I ask you how much time and money went into that title and whether it would be just more profitable money waise to make fast cheap games which sell for about a million than spend long periods of time and wasting hundreds of millions. My guess is that it's the former. Also SEGA posted losses not because of the Olympic Games, infact that's why they broke even, but probably because of their HD games.

Many many companies have made a subscription based game. Aion, Warhammer, EVE, Everquest 2, Lineage 2. Yet Blizzard manages to make money... wonder why that is?

I'm also willing to bet you that the L4D2 sold more on the PC than it did on the 360. In factjust after release (and keep in mind PC sales aren't frontloaded) they annonced they ahd sold over 2 million compies, only about 900k of them were on the 360. That's even without the fact that PC games sell for years and years (starcraft  only sold 1 mil in its first year, it's over 10 mil now).

And about 4.5 million of Starcraft copies old in South Korea. I don't think L4D2 is so hot there...

Most of the time publishers report shipped copies, not sold, so 2 million shipped doesn't mean much ( you should know this as a member of this site).

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

And about 4.5 million of Starcraft copies old in South Korea. I don't think L4D2 is so hot there...

Most of the time publishers report shipped copies, not sold, so 2 million shipped doesn't mean much ( you should know this as a member of this site).

Since you also know so much I'm sure you know that L4D2 uses Steam, so I doubt it was shipped.

You also fail to explain to me why L4D2 isn't pirated so heavily.

vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
Ail said:

LTD CoD4 sales :

By the way all those games you mention haven't been pirated much either.
How come ?

They are that good, or is it that server/subscription based games are mostly pirate proof ?