By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 50Hz LCD's are HORRIBLE!

All these technical discussions are well and good but ultimately its what you can see that matters most, everyones eyes are slightly different. 50Hz or 200Hz makes little difference to my eyes but then I started using LCD panels from early revisions on my PC so todays standards are amazing by comparison lol.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Pock3R said:
i got a 50 hz inmy bedroom and a 100hz in my living room.

can't tell any difference....

Strange, because when I looked at 50Hz and 100Hz standing next to each other it was VERY obvious that one was much smoother. They were playing some animation about bees on Bluray and even my girlfriend said the difference is obvious. She doesn't know anything about anything techno related btw.

That's called the soap opera effect. It basically adds at 100hz about 1 extra frame inbetween each frame from your source.

240hz(my TV) adds 3.

However, turning the amp on during gaming is very controversial, and most gamers don't actually do it. Basically, it's a form of image processing that can cause judder and blur, and it also increase input lag significantly on any set. Your best bet it almost certainly to game at 60hz, and if your television has a game mode, use that, because it reduces input lag even further. If your TV is for gaming, you don't want to artifically add frames that don't exist, you'll usually get a worse picture, even if you have a high end TV.

As for sideways judder mentioned in this thread, that's cause by images being interlaced instead of progressively scanned.

That said, the soap opera effect does have its uses when watching certain programming and it's very impressive. You can make SotC look as if it's running at 60fps, even when it's not, but again, it's not a smooth run, because you end up with judder, which can't be completely removed even with dejudder controls.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

coolestguyever said:
Dr.Grass said:
coolestguyever said:
Yeah 50hz is pretty weak. You definitely want <120hz if money is no object to you. There are even 240hz TV's and for all I know probably higher then that.

I know this is primarily an LCD discussion, but I saw a 800Hz Plasma at the store I bought my LCD.

holy sh*t! I didn't know they went that high, even though its plasma and not LCD.

I wish I knew more about TV's I don't know if plasma or LCD is better.

The Hz measurement for plasma is referring to a different aspect of the TV. It's not the same thing and it's not comparable.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

NNN2004 said:

the plasma is superior to the lcd but i dont know why people prefer lcd ? is it because of the old burn issue ? 

I'm sorry bro, but you're dead wrong. So are a LOT of people in this thread though, lol.

For gaming, besides the burnin factors(which still exist even on Veria) Plasma's have this thing called phosphor trailing. Green phosphors age slower than red or blue, and during fast scenes(videogaming) you tend to get ugly green trails behind your light sources. It's terrible.

Again, Plasma's are not made for gaming. Especially gaming which requires black bars, as repeatedly washing out burn-in can cause permanent damage to your set.

On top of that, the newest LCD's(LN52B750) have black levels better than all but the best Plasma sets(as blacks in plasmas are not absolute black despite their ability to turn off individual screen areas).

Besides that, Plasma's are generally dimmer than LCD, they certainly use much more electricity, and cause higher heat output. Though they are cheaper and have much better viewing angle, and depending on the TV, can have better picture quality at the top end of the spectrum.

Plasma technology is dying for a reason, and in general Plasma's are not made for gaming, watching movies or TV with black bars, or for use as a computer monitor. Watching true aspect ratio BR or playing PS2 games on your Plasmas will lead to burn-in and overtime, can reduce the PQ of your set. However, the worst offense is the eventual phosphor trailing which is absolutely unacceptable to any gamer who can see it.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

megaman79 said:
NNN2004 said:

the plasma is superior to the lcd but i dont know why people prefer lcd ? is it because of the old burn issue ? 

cheaper when you go large.

When you go large, Plasma's are still usually cheaper. See my previous post for the real reason.

...I'd really hate to see someone try to use their 52" Plasma TV as a computer monitor.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
coolestguyever said:
Dr.Grass said:
coolestguyever said:
Yeah 50hz is pretty weak. You definitely want <120hz if money is no object to you. There are even 240hz TV's and for all I know probably higher then that.

I know this is primarily an LCD discussion, but I saw a 800Hz Plasma at the store I bought my LCD.

holy sh*t! I didn't know they went that high, even though its plasma and not LCD.

I wish I knew more about TV's I don't know if plasma or LCD is better.

The Hz measurement for plasma is referring to a different aspect of the TV. It's not the same thing and it's not comparable.

Glad you cleared that up.

lowest it's 60hz O_o

I have a 60hz 32in 720p APEX and it looks great to me. Then again, I'm playing the Wii via component so it's safe to assume that Wii's graphics aren't good enough to notice.

Do they even have 50hz in the US? I've yet to see one.

Motion flow 200Hz is the only way to play those HD video games. Any lower than than and it looks really crap and hurts your eyes.