By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 50Hz LCD's are HORRIBLE!

I finally made my move and went to buy a nice big Full HD TV. I settled on a 40" Bravia. I felt like the shit walking with that huge box (they're still waaay too expensive in South Africa for most folks, especially a 23yr old like myself).

When I got home I eagerly set it up and plugged in my new HDMI cable. The first game was Killzone2. I was absolutely amaaazed by the picture quality. It was stunning.

When I started playing MGS4 (my new best game ever btw) something started bothering me though. It was the refresh rate. It wasn't clear as day, but I noticed it. My eyes actually hurt after playing for a while. The same thing happened in Uncharted and Killzone2. 50Hz LCD's didn't cut it for me, and I'm no graphics whore.

4 Days after buying the Bravia I packed it up again. It was a very hard thing to do. I had to tell the salesman that sold me the thing that it wasn't good enough for me. I could see them thinking "What a spoilt bastard!". To my horror they had no 100Hz LCD's in that store as they don't sell high-end stuff, and I sure as hell wasn't getting a plasma!

I took my R9 000 (Around $1200 I guess) and went to a shop next door. They promised to sell me a 1year old floor model 100Hz Bravia that was WAY to expensive for me new. When I got there they accidentally sold it! It was a good thing.

Then I saw a 42" 200Hz LG that was R14 000 ($1800). The whole point of the thread is to say that the difference is HUGE. I'm SO happy I had the balls to say 50Hz isn't good enough for me. Some of the people involved thought it was arrogant, but I'm the one that's going to spend hundreds of hours looking at it.

Conclusion: I feel very sorry for anyone who's doing serious gaming on a 50Hz LCD. Of course many will kick and scream and say it doesn't matter, but imho that's only because they've spent so much cash and don't want to admit it's a problem...

So, any of you found 50Hz to be as problematic as me?

Around the Network

I dont know never gamed on a 50hz. I game on a tru motion 120 hz LG and it works fine for me. I wanted to check out a 240 hz prolly going to buy one in the coming months and check the picture quality.

I'm not martin luther king. I don't have a dream. I have a plan

Sell a man a fish you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you just ruined a perfect business opportunity.

We didn't emerge out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Its time to be proactive not reactive.

Yup, 50 hz screens also hurt my eyes - that's why i plugged my console on a 22" monitor

I'm waiting for the 200 Mhz TV to lower their prices, i too wanna feel like the shit but not too much.

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)

i got a 50 hz inmy bedroom and a 100hz in my living room.

can't tell any difference....

Even if you bought a 100Hz, 120Hz or 200Hz LCD TV, you could not send a 100+Hz signal to the TV from the PS3! What you want is a TV with very little lag, 100Hz won't improve lag but could make it worse by adding imterpolation processing.

Around the Network

just to ask. Why would a 50Hrtz tv hurt your eyes?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

50hz never heard of it the lowest they got in the US is 60hz. It goes 60hz, 120hz, 240hz etc etc. I game on a 60hz and have no problem with it but I don't 20/20 vision neither.

I didn't know there was even such a thing as a 50Hz Bravia

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Good thing you gave back your 50hz lcd. I also dislike playing on 50 hz, 100 hz is much better and it´s really worth it, not only in games but also in movies and tv.

I really seems to matter with lcd tvs. 100htz CRT's work great but your arguably meant to have 200htz refresh rate on the latest big screen lcds.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.