By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 50Hz LCD's are HORRIBLE!

NNN2004 said:

the plasma is superior to the lcd but i dont know why people prefer lcd ? is it because of the old burn issue ? 

cheaper when you go large.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:

Oh I see what you mean. Still, since my panel has that feature and it makes it look smooth as silk, I don't really mind your list of arguments above.

EDIT: So what's the downside then? No 3d-ready?

Yep. Plus other cool things involving 12 hz...like the video below... once they actually bother to make it for consumers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuXlNe6s7s

disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:

Oh I see what you mean. Still, since my panel has that feature and it makes it look smooth as silk, I don't really mind your list of arguments above.

Yep. Plus other cool things involving 12 hz...like the video below... once they actually bother to make it for consumers.

I suspected that it wasn't 3d ready.

Unfortunately I can't watch the video due to being in a country where the F#CK*NG government (they are corrupt bastards) have a monopoly on the telecom industry and as a result I'm stuck with no videos untill I start shitting out money. God.

Care to explain what I'm missing out on?

I don't think 3d will go mass market anytime soon anyways, so I'm not really worried about missing out on that.

Dr.Grass said:
disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:

Unfortunately I can't watch the video due to being in a country where the F#CK*NG government (they are corrupt bastards) have a monopoly on the telecom industry and as a result I'm stuck with no videos untill I start shitting out money. God.

I don't think 3d will go mass market anytime soon anyways, so I'm not really worried about missing out on that.

Your TV is still pretty kick ass so I don't think you are missing out on much. 3D gaming has cost me around 800 bucks...not counting the TV so its pricey as hell. And it wil always be pricey since it requires much more video horsepower than regular gaming.

That video I postd is something that would be cool though...Can you see it if I embed?

disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:
disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:

Your TV is still pretty kick ass so I don't think you are missing out on much. 3D gaming has cost me around 800 bucks...not counting the TV so its pricey as hell. And it wil always be pricey since it requires much more video horsepower than regular gaming.

That video I postd is something that would be cool thought...Can you se it if I embed?

800 US is waaaay out of my league at the mo.

The issue with watching vids is that I have a very small cap per month so I have to be very careful about what to watch. If I want to increase my cap (which happens) I have to make a million phone calls before someone picks up and even then they are sh*t at helping you. I'll make a sticky and see if I have cap left in a few days, then I'll watch it if possible.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Dr.Grass said:

Also: some BluRay movies are encoded in 24fps to follow the cinema source. If your display is 120/240Hz (a multiple of 24, anyway) it can display each encoded frame through simple frame replication (5x or 10x).

If your display is 100/200Hz then additional interpolation (or pulldown) is required as some encoded frames fall in-between display frames, causing a slight judder during fast pans.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Dr.Grass said:
invetedlotus123 said:
Dogswithguns said:
Correct me if Im wrong, I think you meant 60hz and 120hz.... that's what I have a 60hz 32", and Im happy with it, I know it's not the best but Im happy.

South Africa is a PAL region, the tv signal is 50hz. In south africa you use all your soruces in PAL as well? Here in Brazil something really strange happens, we are a PAL region as well, but only the open TV is PAl, all our sources like DVD and VideoGames are NTSC.

Yeah everything is PAL. I really feel for you being in Brazil with the techno lockdown they have (hope I don't offend). I usually think we're expensive compared to the US, but you have it much worse...

No you don't offend, you're only telling the truth about technology in Brazil. Paying 2500$ for a 40 W Bravia while in US people pay this for the 52 inches models is pretty terrible. Importing taxes are so high, they just double the price of everything related to technology and automobilistic, and the worst is that the corruption level is so high that the taxes don't bring anything good for us. And people really don't mind.

Lot's of people buys those overpriced TVs by financing, people use to finance a 1200$ 32 super basic LCD TV in 24x payments of 65$, people with more money finance more expensive televisions, but it's PRETTY rare to see someone paying anything whitout financing. I bought my PS3 financed in 10x of 70$. For gaming the situation is even worse.

BMaker11 said:
They make 50Hz tvs? I thought 60Hz was the minimum?

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but it's the same thing. in South Africa or those places they have 50hz, over here in US we have 60hz in math, but it's the same meaning.

Plasma rules, can't wait for my 60" oled heheheh.

Dr.Grass said:
coolestguyever said:
Yeah 50hz is pretty weak. You definitely want <120hz if money is no object to you. There are even 240hz TV's and for all I know probably higher then that.

I know this is primarily an LCD discussion, but I saw a 800Hz Plasma at the store I bought my LCD.

holy sh*t! I didn't know they went that high, even though its plasma and not LCD.

I wish I knew more about TV's I don't know if plasma or LCD is better.