By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1UP grades each system for 2009

I thought the article was pretty fair.

The iPhone rating might seem a little over-generous, but it's in the context that 2009 represents 60% of the platform's lifespan. The library is incredible for a platform that young, and developer support keeps getting stronger and stronger.

iPhone denialists are starting to become as humourous to me as Wii denialists. Just because it's a handheld device that millions of people play games on doesn't mean it's a handheld gaming device, right?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I'm really suprised 1Up seems to be improving greatly since I left it. I remember them being totally anti-Nintendo so to see them being generous and giving the Wii a B the same grade 360 has I am shocked. I also think the DS deserved that A. However suprisingly I disagree with 1Up rating of Wii I think it deserves a B- or C+. The 360 performed far better and the Wii shouldn't recieve the same rating that the 360 did!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

famousringo said:

iPhone denialists are starting to become as humourous to me as Wii denialists. Just because it's a handheld device that millions of people play games on doesn't mean it's a handheld gaming device, right?

The reaction is understandable, remember how DS was denied at first? Xenophobia is strong among people, gamers as well. When someone with different mindset threatens to ruin your regular lifestyle. That might be frightening, first reaction - denial. Though I must admit I'm sceptical about iPhone\iTouch threatening handheld businees, I'd rather say mobile gaming as a whole.

mai said:

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

PSP was a BEAST this year, with Phantasy Star Portable AND Dissidia: Final Fantasy along with Tekken 6 and SC: Broken Destiny, and giving it a C is just wrong, i'd switch the DS grade with the PSP grade without a doubt.

It's true, PSP lineup was quite stellar this year (at least compared to previous not so hot years in terms of game releases), but it's easy for a lot of gamers to dismiss PSP software offerings, since great majority of them are downgraded home console ports and remakes. As I've said that already, lack of differentiation from home consoles is killing this machine. Gamers'd rather play home console versions than PSP. Though I guess there're people who'd prefer portable versions of Tekken and Soul Calibur, but sales speak for themselves (launches were very weak, but thanks to word of mouth some of this year releases might end up pretty good in the long run, still won't compensate for YOY loss in software sales).

See, I didn't even play a lot of what's considered 'popular' for PSP releases and there was just so much.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I would give the PSP a higher rating, but certainly the PS3 deserves a top rating

Around the Network

PS3 would get an A* from me

PS3 - A*
DS - A
360 - B
PC - B-
Wii - C
PSP - C
PS2 - C-
iPhone - U

I'm not sure about the iPhone rating, but I agree otherwise.

My two favorite current-gen sytems get an A! Whoo!

Agree.

If the iPhone shouldn't be included, then neither should the PC.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.