By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide up! PS3 1 million!!

postofficebuddy said:
While it's quite unlikely I wouldn't put 1 million next week out of the question. Several factors have arisen that might make this week better than what people were thinking. Firstly there will probably be a few displaced sales from last weekend because of that blizzard on the east coast. Secondly ioi thought that about 150k FFXIII bundles were sold but according to PS3 center only about 92k were which leads me to believe that the drop off in Japan next week won't be very precipitous. Finally this Saturday is Boxing Day.

With Christmas this week, I would expect sales from NA and Others would drop from last week. (It's basic one less day for any sales) As for Japan, even with more bundle available, I would expect the number for PS3 to drop since the holiday boost would be smaller than the FFXIII boost this week.

And I doubt boxing day would anything to console sales. I don't see any deals that were not available before this week.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:
Oh, and i think it's worth noting Garcian...

Last year Wii outsold PS3 on this week by over 1.2 Million units.

It's amazing how things can change, eh?

What changed?  The PS3 was still outsold.

What changed was the PS3's momentum. It went from a dying console last year, which was suspected to die this year... To be the first 3rd place console ever to sell 1million units in a single week.

Being outsold by the Wii by over 1.2 Million units one year, then pulling that gap back to ~500k units the next year despite a Wii Pricecut and a much stronger Wii holiday lineup with plenty of supply... Is amazing.

Don't forget PS3 price cut, re-design, and its biggest game ever released in said week - those had a lot EVERYTHING to do with it too!

But yes, PS3 has done well.

That's the point. It's amazing how things have changed in a year.

Oh, and at the red... PS3 - It Only Does Everything.

Yeah it is funny how things changed, seen as you never thought the PS3 was dying, now all of a sudden it's doing well and you're acting like you're in agreement!

Personally for it's price last christmas it was doing pretty darn well, when we got into the summer months both consoles looked a bit dire.

Do you not think a repeat of that will happen this year? (I mean Q1 - Q3 2010)

FUCK ME!!

THE PS3 IS UNSTOPPABLE, FROM 8M TO 5M. SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE THE PS3 IS A DANGER TO SOCIETY

ALTHOUGH WE SHOULD PUT THE PARTY ON ICE WHO KNOWS IT MAY GET ADJUSTED DOWN LMAO WHO CARES

Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:

What changed was the PS3's momentum. It went from a dying console last year, which was suspected to die this year... To be the first 3rd place console ever to sell 1million units in a single week.

Being outsold by the Wii by over 1.2 Million units one year, then pulling that gap back to ~500k units the next year despite a Wii Pricecut and a much stronger Wii holiday lineup with plenty of supply... Is amazing.

Don't forget PS3 price cut, re-design, and its biggest game ever released in said week - those had a lot EVERYTHING to do with it too!

Yeah it is funny how things changed, seen as you never thought the PS3 was dying, now all of a sudden it's doing well and you're acting like you're in agreement!

Personally for it's price last christmas it was doing pretty darn well, when we got into the summer months both consoles looked a bit dire.

Nope, i always knew it was capable of these sales. Im talking the majority of people, and you can't deny that a whole lot of people thought this year would be "it" for PS3. Even when the Slim/Cut was announced, people expected it tobe back below 360 in a matter of weeks.

Agreed.

Nope. Not at all. This year was pretty empty for software when compared to what's coming up in 2010. I feel PS3 has the best system sellers though for the first half of the year. God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 and to an extent, Final Fantasy 13. Japan numbers should stay pretty high too considering the releases over there. I have absolutely no idea what's coming on Q3/Q4, but i expect PS3 to pretty much dominate the 360 and not be too far away from Ninty up until Q4... Where MS drop the pricecut and Natal.

Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:
Kenology said:
Carl2291 said:

Nope, i always knew it was capable of these sales. Im talking the majority of people, and you can't deny that a whole lot of people thought this year would be "it" for PS3. Even when the Slim/Cut was announced, people expected it tobe back below 360 in a matter of weeks.

Agreed.

Nope. Not at all. This year was pretty empty for software when compared to what's coming up in 2010. I feel PS3 has the best system sellers though for the first half of the year. God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5 and to an extent, Final Fantasy 13. Japan numbers should stay pretty high too considering the releases over there. I have absolutely no idea what's coming on Q3/Q4, but i expect PS3 to pretty much dominate the 360 and not be too far away from Ninty up until Q4... Where MS drop the pricecut and Natal.

Carl2291 always on point and informative, they can learn a lot from you

Around the Network
Seece said:
SolidSnitch said:
It doesn't look good for the 360, I think people are starting to realize that the 360 is an unreliable POS and doesn't want to pay for something that will more than likely break in a few weeks or months.
Wii is still doing great, thats awesome.

Honestly do you actually believe this crap? I have had a 360 for 3 years with no trouble ..

Keep that attitude up and you won't last long

I had mine for 3 years also, went through 5 of them, 2 HDD, DVD drive is a POS, headset is a POS, the software are great and xboxlive is great.

You can't say I'm the only one with issues, there's no-one I know that has there original 360, all of them broke in one way or another.

Btw I'm not trolling, its just my point of view from what I have experienced. Its true the PS3 is doing great in pretty much because of the price reduction.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Kenology said:
Xen said:
Garcian Smith said:
Xen said:
YES!

No other game could've propelled the PS3 THAT high. My predtiction was right, and I can't wait for The Game of the Generation!

Much as fans of the HD Twins would like to think otherwise, the Game of the Generation has already been released. Hint: The title rhymes with, "Bee Shorts," and it's sold several times more than FFXIII ever will.

Re, PS3 sales and "Wii is doomed": An aggressive price-cut and one of the most hotly anticipated core games of the season in Japan, and the Wii still outsells it this week by a half-million. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Game, not bundled Tech Demo.

Wii Sports is a game, Xen.  And Garcian is right, FFXIII won't sell more than Wii Sports in Japan - a market where neither have been bundled.

Was I ever talking sales of games... in Japan? I was talking critical acclaim.

And in my eyes, it's just a glorified tech demo thats meant to get you into motion controls. Fun for an hour, no more.

Awesome!!

The PS3 managed to sell over 1 million with it's $300 price tag, now imagine how much it could have sold if it was at Wii's $200 price...suffice to to say that demand is clearly there for the PS3 hardware so it could have sold over 1.5 million easily if the price of the PS3 was 200 bucks, should be interesting next year.

Anyway good on ya Sony, you deserve this after an awesome year of 1 party games, which now seem to be racking in the GOTY awards left right and center....I'm one happy PS3 owner.

Xen said:
Kenology said:
Xen said:
Garcian Smith said:
Xen said:
YES!

No other game could've propelled the PS3 THAT high. My predtiction was right, and I can't wait for The Game of the Generation!

Much as fans of the HD Twins would like to think otherwise, the Game of the Generation has already been released. Hint: The title rhymes with, "Bee Shorts," and it's sold several times more than FFXIII ever will.

Re, PS3 sales and "Wii is doomed": An aggressive price-cut and one of the most hotly anticipated core games of the season in Japan, and the Wii still outsells it this week by a half-million. I think that's all that needs to be said.

Game, not bundled Tech Demo.

Wii Sports is a game, Xen.  And Garcian is right, FFXIII won't sell more than Wii Sports in Japan - a market where neither have been bundled.

Was I ever talking sales of games... in Japan? I was talking critical acclaim.

And in my eyes, it's just a glorified tech demo thats meant to get you into motion controls. Fun for an hour, no more.

Typical.

I agree that Wii sports is mainly a techdemo to show what you can do with the wiimote. But fun for a hour ? It is really addicting and offers fun for eternity. You wont stop playing this game especially with friends its really a phenomenon. Its not a full game but it offers a ton of fun.