By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioWare: JRPGs suffer from 'lack of evolution'

JRPGs are a genre like romantic comedies.  You know what you're getting when you walk into one.  People who like JRPGs aren't looking for something to re-invent the wheel, they want the familiar thing that they like with some slight tweaks.

If you don't like that, it's understandable.  You have Demon Soul and tons of WRPGs to play.  JRPGs aren't called WRPGs for a reason.  It's cool if the two aren't the same.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
Johann said:
@Vlad: What constitutes a good story is completely subjective.

I thought the story of Chrono Trigger was amazing. Also thought the story of Super Metroid and Shadow of The Colossus were extremely immersive and moving.

All of those had relatively simple narrative. SotC nd Super Metroid had almost no dialogue or text at all. Chrono Trigger is one giant cliche fest. And also, they were all completely linear (save for CT, but then again... not so much). Yet they all managed to move me somehow.

Although I know how those games made me feel when I played them, I also know what I feel doesn't come from the game, but from me. I'm the one who thinks those things. It's an opinion.

You don't get to say what you like is somehow superior to what I like. It's not.

No don't get me wrong. As far as games go the ones you listed were amazing. However as far as stories across all media, they pale in comparison to a good book. If you think otherwise maybe you just need to read more and better books....

Or maybe you just need to accept the fact that opinions are like assholes.

I've read plenty of good books. Unfortunately you're unlikely to have heard of them, as they are mostly from Portuguese speaking countries. Ever heard of "O Cortiço" or "Primo Basilio"? They're both great.

I do enjoy Dostoyevsky occasionally but I find his narrative a little too unfocused. But that's just me.

I still find the story of CT to be more moving than "The Idiot". Not as polished, sure. Filled with cliche and a couple plotholes here and there, no argument. Still moved me more. Call me a peasant.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Johann said:
vlad321 said:
Johann said:
@Vlad: What constitutes a good story is completely subjective.

I thought the story of Chrono Trigger was amazing. Also thought the story of Super Metroid and Shadow of The Colossus were extremely immersive and moving.

All of those had relatively simple narrative. SotC nd Super Metroid had almost no dialogue or text at all. Chrono Trigger is one giant cliche fest. And also, they were all completely linear (save for CT, but then again... not so much). Yet they all managed to move me somehow.

Although I know how those games made me feel when I played them, I also know what I feel doesn't come from the game, but from me. I'm the one who thinks those things. It's an opinion.

You don't get to say what you like is somehow superior to what I like. It's not.

No don't get me wrong. As far as games go the ones you listed were amazing. However as far as stories across all media, they pale in comparison to a good book. If you think otherwise maybe you just need to read more and better books....

Or maybe you just need to accept the fact that opinions are like assholes.

I've read plenty of good books. Unfortunately you're unlikely to have heard of them, as they are mostly from Portuguese speaking countries. Ever heard of "O Cortiço" or "Primo Basilio"? They're both great.

I do enjoy Dostoyevsky occasionally but I find his narrative a little too unfocused. But that's just me.

I still find the story of CT to be more moving than "The Idiot". Not as polished, sure. Filled with cliche and a couple plotholes here and there, no argument. Still moved me more. Call me a peasant.

Storylines in games don't compare to books if you measure them by literature standards. However, a game doesn't neccessarily need an amazingly deep story as it's a completely different medium to books. It's more to do with the interactivity, the mood and atmosphere. I read a lot but a game such as SoTC with its simple narrative but unique interactive style can have a far more emotional impact than a large number of books I've read.

The other examples I can give are Deus Ex, which, with it's highly free and interactive nature, strange cyber-punk furture world and conspiracy theories, is more thought provoking than a lot of sci-fi novels. And of course, Planescape Torment. The game script managed to make it into The New York Times top 100 literature works of the last century (I believe it was the New York Times).

I'm inclined to agree with Bioware here. WRPGs have shown more evolution and innovation over the last few years than JRPGs which tend to stick to the same script with subtle differences, similar characters and similar systems. Only a few try to evolve the genre further. Then if you look at the diversity wRPGs have given us recently:

Elder Scrolls series (+ Fallout 3 :P) (1st person open-world)
Diablo (hack & Slash)
Fallout 1 & 2 (Post-apocalypse top-down RPG)
Baldurs Gate, NWN, Dragon Age, KoToR (Party based, story driven)
Mass Effect (Story driven shooter/RPG mix)
The Witcher (Fantasy RPG where moral choices are just diferent shades of gray)
Deus Ex (FPS mixing, choice driven, conspiracy theory, futuristic RPG genius!)
Fable 1 & 2 (Open world life RPG? lol)
Planescape Torment (Has what is considered to be the best story in gaming- see my previous post)

When you look at the sheer diversity and variety of game styles and genre/sub-genre mixes, most people will find something in that list that they'll enjoy. When you look at JRPGs, whilst they've evolved, the titles that differentiate themselves from the pack are few and far between, so people are more likely to tire of the titles.

richardhutnik said:
jammy2211 said:
JRPG are repeating themselves and need to innovate. I used to love the genre, they were amazing as a teenager with a PS1. I could buy one for under £20 and the games would last me AGES, which for someone with little to no money, was awesome.

Nowadays they're the exact same thing, and it even feels like alot of them draw more from the cliches then before as if that's kind of what is expected. I think the developers in the east are kind of realising this now, but getting anyone to back a JRPG which defies convention is a difficult task - I think Resonance of Fate looks like it's trying to break the cliché mold somewhat though (Surprise Surprise that Square Enix avoided it).

I do really enjoy WRPG's too but they're all feeling pretty similiar nowadays too. I've probably not played enough of the genre to be it's most reputable critic but what they boast as multiple web dialogue tends to be a question of "Are you a ****head?". When I first played WRPG's (After growing up on the JRPG) they were incredibly fresh and new and innovative, nowadays I don't get that feeling from any WRPG, it again feels like a been here done that.

What we know as "western RPGs" is mostly stuff by Bethesda and Bioware.  So, what you are likely running across is similar styles when you go from one Bethesda game to another, or one Bioware to another.  I am speaking in terms of console WRPGs.  Beyond that, they tend to treat Tolkin as gospel, and reference them a lot.

I played the Might and Magic games from VI to IX and even then it doesn't feel like they've moved on a great deal, just become bigger, while doing the exact same thing. I played a few other, what I would call, WRPG's along the way too, albeit obviously my main experience has been Bioware and Bethesda.

I'm pretty sure it's a genre wide thing, it happen with any genre though. Once it becomes popular and starts selling the imitators come along in their droves, and sooner or later repetition occurs. It's take 2 years for every WW2 shooter to become a modern warfare shooter, off the success of one game.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:

Big words coming from a developer whose games went backwards with times. CJust compare Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect and KOTOR to see just how far a step back they had to make when ti comes to depth. Even Dragon Age is really shallow compared to Baldur's Gate and NWN.

However, I do agree with him though, even if he has committed a worse crime (dumbing down instead of just stagnation).

Nastalgia warps your sense of judgment... I love the BG series that Bioware did, but in now way are they complex... their story was based in a massively rich world that had almost two decades of lore to build on... so in that sense they "went backwards", but KotOR and Mass Effect are massive improvements in story telling and Dragon Age was clearly BG's spiritual successor.  Sure it has it's problems, but if you play the PC version you'll find that you will have more than a little bit of nastalgia.   And if you really want to talk about dumbing down everything is trash compared to Wizardry and Might and Magic back in the day... games that required you(at the time no intertron really) to goto the library to figure some of the shit out

ookaze said:
This man clearly doesn't understand JRPG, so I'm not surprised by his comments.
I was bored by WRPG far before JRPG. True tabletop RPGs are about role-playing, imagination and maths problems that you have to overcome. On consoles/computers, only maths and imagination remained in the past, and now, with all the useless fluff they are adding in most JRPG, only math remains. Same with WRPG. There are exceptions like Dragon Quest or Pokemon, but that will disappear if they make them less stylised and more "real".

I understand since a long time why I'm starting to prefer SRPG, because as only math remains, most JRPG and WRPG are moving their content to strategy and tactics. Maths stays the main attract of JRPG and WRPG though.

But with how simplified they have become this gen, I'm not surprised JRPG are on the decline in the western countries. Only if you play for the maths can you appreciate JRPG, but I've yet again seen people play FFXIII and now I clearly understand.
Playstation era gamers play these games just to see the story through the end, so they seem to not enjoy the combats at all, and the combat, strategy and tactics is the main interest in JRPG. But most people don't understand that and call battles "grinding": they don't enjoy it.

I see these people entering battles, spamming attack and heal, showing they lack any ounce of strategy or tactic (or maths). When they're wiped out by a more powerful enemy, they will retry sometimes 10+ times the battle (they're fortunate in the case of FFXIII) before finding a way to get it past! When I would have cleared the battle the first time!
Some would have resorted to grinding instead, which they hate doing.
JRPG allows for all those types of play, but people that play JRPG like this sure must find them boring and dull, thus the decline.

But I'm not surprised that maths is a chore to them, these Playstation era players can't even read! Countless times I hear about "too much text to read", "it lacks voice over", "we don't need the original VA" (because it forces them to read the subtitles).

The decline of JRPG, to me, is not due to JRPG not evolving, but because of it evolving to resemble WRPG. Lots of JRPG (except, again, DQ or Pokemon) evolved to the Playstation era gamers, putting off the traditional gamer like me, with lots of useless things like cutscenes, long boring intro sequences, dumbing down the maths, ...

FFXIII especially looks boring to me, which is sad. While sth like EoE looks more interesting to me, and unfortunately it looks like another SRPG. This generation, I think I have more SRPG than traditional JRPG, which is sad.

You are kidding right? You actually believe that the 4th grade math employed by RPG's is their attraction? You are wrong. Anyway, what you call math is refered to by many as min/maxing. Although fun when you have a thousands of variables like in NWN and Diablo, JRPG's absolutely fail to provide a mathematical challence of any kind... unless youre in 4th grade mainly because you are given no options. All you do is kill another enemy and everything is automatic. In a WRPG you have to make choices. Should I wear this heavy armor that will slow me down and ruin my spellcasting ability, or should I wear this robe that offers more freedom but no real protection? Should I dual wield or should I use this shield? Should I cast spells or should I sneak? What was the last JRPG that offered any sort of choice aside from simply wearing the most expensive item you can find? As a matter of fact, if you like to min/max the best games to play are WRPG's like NWN2 or Diablo, or any MMO. JRPG's require the least amount of strategy or brain power to "win."

Cueil said:
vlad321 said:

Big words coming from a developer whose games went backwards with times. CJust compare Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect and KOTOR to see just how far a step back they had to make when ti comes to depth. Even Dragon Age is really shallow compared to Baldur's Gate and NWN.

However, I do agree with him though, even if he has committed a worse crime (dumbing down instead of just stagnation).

Nastalgia warps your sense of judgment... I love the BG series that Bioware did, but in now way are they complex... their story was based in a massively rich world that had almost two decades of lore to build on... so in that sense they "went backwards", but KotOR and Mass Effect are massive improvements in story telling and Dragon Age was clearly BG's spiritual successor.  Sure it has it's problems, but if you play the PC version you'll find that you will have more than a little bit of nastalgia.   And if you really want to talk about dumbing down everything is trash compared to Wizardry and Might and Magic back in the day... games that required you(at the time no intertron really) to goto the library to figure some of the shit out

Not really nostalgia. You can measure how they are dumbed down. NWN  had hundered of feats, aout 200 spells, and more skill sthan KOTOR. Also 9 completely different classes. What did KOTOR have? 3 root classes, about 30 feats, a dozen skills, and a some force powers (spells). That is what I call dumbed down for the general audience of consoles, the people who wouldn't be able to even begin to understand how NWN worked. BioWare's last deep RPG was Neverwinter Nights, afte that they have ust dumbed down everything more and more. Thnk god DA brought it back some, but still a little too simple.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

...not really.  The 'Golden Age' of PC RPGs WAS back in the 1980s and early 90s.  Sales were smaller back then because there were less gamers.  But PC was still dominant over consoles.  In comparison, games like Ultima and Wizardry did very well for their time.  And I don't know how you can say they 'didn't take off' considering they are considered the originators of video game RPGs (and did spawn a number of successful successors such as Dungeon Master.

But the late 90s, Consoles were overtaking PC.  And WRPGs were being overtaken by Console RPGs.  Its only been recently that WRPGs have made a comeback, and only with the help of joint releases on consoles.

The problem with this is that I was around and a PC gamer during those years.  I played a lot of the early PC games ranging from King's Quest series to games that no one has ever heard of like Tangle.  PC gaming as a whole really was subpar until around the time Commander Keen came out.  It was about then that a lot of good and memorable PC titles started being released (vga Trek, Tank Wars, etc).  Before then there wasn't really a golden age of anything except maybe MUDs.

In the late 90s, consoles weren't gaining ground against PCs.  Half-life and Starcraft had just been released, it was years until the PS2 would appear, and the most widely known of console RPGs, Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8, were on the PC as well as the Playstation.  During that time Bioware was releasing Baldur's Gate and Black Isle was releasing Fallout.  It was one hell of a good time to be a PC gamer.

Look, if you're going to paraphrase wikipedia and think you understand what it was like to be a PC gamer during those years then go away because debating with you isn't worth my time.

I can claim similar thing towards you, who keeps bringing up games that aren't RPGs (what does Starcraft and Half-Life have to do with anything?).  Me bringing up LucasArts SCUMM games and early SIM games isn't going to prove my case for early RPGs on the PC.  In any event, I was playing both PC and console games in the 80s and 90s.  And its a proven fact that in the 80s or early 90s, not only were PC games more popular, but there were periods when entire genres (including RPGs) where only found on PC or only popular on PC.

A few games like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy might be heralded as legendary today, but there was an entire ERA (span of over 15 years) where RPGs were dominant on the PC.  From Text based adventures to games like Ultima and Wizardry to games like The Bards Tale, Wasteland and etc.

Trust me, I fully admit good games came later.  That's what happens, games improve.  But the 'Golden Age' was not in 1998 and after for PC games or WRPGs.  If anything, PC games as a whole lost dominance in innovation and sales following the early 90s to consoles.  Even in recent years, all the best PC RPGs have had to make ports to consoles to cover their production costs or to compete with console RPGs.  INCLUDING Bioware games like Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect, which all sold better on consoles.

Starcraft and Half-life are plenty relevant if you're going to say in your post that consoles were overtaking the PC.  I thought you were making a general statement across the board but maybe I misread that though.

And being the only game in town doesn't mean they were dominant of anything.  It's like running a race by yourself.  You may be the winner but there's nothing really to win and if it takes you 2 hours to do the 100 meter dash then you're still awful despite being the winner.  That's why Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior were so amazing.  They were simply better than everything that came before. 

In my opinion, the PC obviously had the edge before consoles had RPGs.  Once those arrived, they blew away pretty much all the PC RPGs through the NES and SNES eras.  The Playstation era is when Bioware/Black Isle were on the scene and pretty much destroyed console RPGs in terms of quality.  S-E putting their games on the PC only helped.  The PS2 was a turning point back in favor of consoles and Black Isle getting killed only cemented that.

Also, Morrowind is not a Bioware game.  I know that was a typo, but that's a really insulting typo to Bioware.  Also, KotOR and JE started the trend of Bioware RPGs on Microsoft systems because Microsoft oftered them $$$ and Vivendi had taken over by then.

You have to go back and look at the context of my whole paragraph.  Not just the initial part.  I was leading to a point.  That since Consoles overtook RPGs in the late 90s, it was only recently that better, more high quality WRPGs have come along to challenge the console RPGs (mostly from Japan).  But they also had to put their games on consoles to complete with the sales of console RPGs.

Your views of PC vs Console games quality is pretty much subjective however.  I'm talking purely of general opinion and sales of gamers.  In the NES and SNES eras, PC was still a dominant force and PC RPGs were still around.  But in the mid 1990s, they all but vanished and were overtaken by PSX, Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2 RPGs (along with limited offerings on N64 and GC).  In short, the mid 90s heralded the influx of imported RPGs from Japan with a loss of both quality and quantity of RPGs from the 'west'.  And its only been post 2000 that their reputation has come back...and mostly based on a handful of companies making a handful of games such as Blizzard, Bioware and Bethesta. 

Seriously, while there are great WRPGs out there, the subgenre itself has probably made as many games in ten years as Japan does in ONE.  Peoples view of its quality or not, this notion that WRPGs are ultimately superior and Japanese RPGs are instantly inferior is just getting old.  At best, its just a desperate ploy to get people to play more WRPGs and at worst, its an ignorant rant against a genre you don't know anything about because you refuse to play them claiming 'WRPGs are superior and all JRPGs are the same'.  All this view breeds is someone who likes JRPGs claiming 'well all WRPGs are the same so I'm never going to play one' and now you've acomplished nothing but creating an argument.

So in closing, I end my rant and say good job with another 'WRPG vs JRPG' thread.  It won't go anywhere.  And this comes from someone who likes both.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

vlad321 said:
Cueil said:
vlad321 said:

Not really nostalgia. You can measure how they are dumbed down. NWN  had hundered of feats, aout 200 spells, and more skill sthan KOTOR. Also 9 completely different classes. What did KOTOR have? 3 root classes, about 30 feats, a dozen skills, and a some force powers (spells). That is what I call dumbed down for the general audience of consoles, the people who wouldn't be able to even begin to understand how NWN worked. BioWare's last deep RPG was Neverwinter Nights, afte that they have ust dumbed down everything more and more. Thnk god DA brought it back some, but still a little too simple.

Very good points As much as I loved the polished quality of DAO, it was without a doubt dumbed down for the consoles. So was KOTOR I & II. Thats not to say that I didnt like them, actually I thought they were great because of their production quality (kotor II excluded it was horrid save for the story), but the fact is they do not a hold a candle to NWN, BG, IWD customization wise. It is truley sad but we all know why it happened and  it does open the door for another company to bring back those types of games while Bioware goes on to mainstream development.

Bethesda is also going down the same route. Every iteration of EScrolls is dumber than the previous although I thought that Morrowind was the best game ever produced. I really hate to see all the dumbing down for $$. Sometimes is better to be happy with making a modest living but leaving behind a greater legacy than making tons of cash and being forgotten... but this will not happen with publically owned companies that are owned by people who dont play games at all.