By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BioWare: JRPGs suffer from 'lack of evolution'

vlad321 said:
Cueil said:
vlad321 said:

Big words coming from a developer whose games went backwards with times. CJust compare Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect and KOTOR to see just how far a step back they had to make when ti comes to depth. Even Dragon Age is really shallow compared to Baldur's Gate and NWN.

However, I do agree with him though, even if he has committed a worse crime (dumbing down instead of just stagnation).

Nastalgia warps your sense of judgment... I love the BG series that Bioware did, but in now way are they complex... their story was based in a massively rich world that had almost two decades of lore to build on... so in that sense they "went backwards", but KotOR and Mass Effect are massive improvements in story telling and Dragon Age was clearly BG's spiritual successor.  Sure it has it's problems, but if you play the PC version you'll find that you will have more than a little bit of nastalgia.   And if you really want to talk about dumbing down everything is trash compared to Wizardry and Might and Magic back in the day... games that required you(at the time no intertron really) to goto the library to figure some of the shit out

Not really nostalgia. You can measure how they are dumbed down. NWN  had hundered of feats, aout 200 spells, and more skill sthan KOTOR. Also 9 completely different classes. What did KOTOR have? 3 root classes, about 30 feats, a dozen skills, and a some force powers (spells). That is what I call dumbed down for the general audience of consoles, the people who wouldn't be able to even begin to understand how NWN worked. BioWare's last deep RPG was Neverwinter Nights, afte that they have ust dumbed down everything more and more. Thnk god DA brought it back some, but still a little too simple.

Well, while you'll probably call it another 'dumbed down' RPG, Old Republic is going to feature 8 classes, at LEAST 10 worlds and they've said 200+ hours of content per character.  But since its an MMORPG, I'd assume all of that would only grow.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
jammy2211 said:
richardhutnik said:
jammy2211 said:
JRPG are repeating themselves and need to innovate. I used to love the genre, they were amazing as a teenager with a PS1. I could buy one for under £20 and the games would last me AGES, which for someone with little to no money, was awesome.

Nowadays they're the exact same thing, and it even feels like alot of them draw more from the cliches then before as if that's kind of what is expected. I think the developers in the east are kind of realising this now, but getting anyone to back a JRPG which defies convention is a difficult task - I think Resonance of Fate looks like it's trying to break the cliché mold somewhat though (Surprise Surprise that Square Enix avoided it).

I do really enjoy WRPG's too but they're all feeling pretty similiar nowadays too. I've probably not played enough of the genre to be it's most reputable critic but what they boast as multiple web dialogue tends to be a question of "Are you a ****head?". When I first played WRPG's (After growing up on the JRPG) they were incredibly fresh and new and innovative, nowadays I don't get that feeling from any WRPG, it again feels like a been here done that.

What we know as "western RPGs" is mostly stuff by Bethesda and Bioware.  So, what you are likely running across is similar styles when you go from one Bethesda game to another, or one Bioware to another.  I am speaking in terms of console WRPGs.  Beyond that, they tend to treat Tolkin as gospel, and reference them a lot.

I played the Might and Magic games from VI to IX and even then it doesn't feel like they've moved on a great deal, just become bigger, while doing the exact same thing. I played a few other, what I would call, WRPG's along the way too, albeit obviously my main experience has been Bioware and Bethesda.

I'm pretty sure it's a genre wide thing, it happen with any genre though. Once it becomes popular and starts selling the imitators come along in their droves, and sooner or later repetition occurs. It's take 2 years for every WW2 shooter to become a modern warfare shooter, off the success of one game.

Ok, so we are now to where WRPG's end up suffering because of the attributes that make them.  I happen to take WRPGs as being stat-building games, where players command a single player directly, and you play in the equivalent of a sandbox.  The attibutes have been emphasized more, but the entire game isn't evolving except getting to be larger to some extent (Elder Scroll is actually shrinking in size).  Massive multiplayer seems to be the direction where the most development for RPGs is taking place.

Anyhow, this being said, Fable III is piquing my interest.  I was waiting years for a game where you start out as an individual and become king, and then run a kingdom, is the point of the game.

marc said:
vlad321 said:
Cueil said:
vlad321 said:

Big words coming from a developer whose games went backwards with times. CJust compare Baldur's Gate to Mass Effect and KOTOR to see just how far a step back they had to make when ti comes to depth. Even Dragon Age is really shallow compared to Baldur's Gate and NWN.

However, I do agree with him though, even if he has committed a worse crime (dumbing down instead of just stagnation).

Nastalgia warps your sense of judgment... I love the BG series that Bioware did, but in now way are they complex... their story was based in a massively rich world that had almost two decades of lore to build on... so in that sense they "went backwards", but KotOR and Mass Effect are massive improvements in story telling and Dragon Age was clearly BG's spiritual successor.  Sure it has it's problems, but if you play the PC version you'll find that you will have more than a little bit of nastalgia.   And if you really want to talk about dumbing down everything is trash compared to Wizardry and Might and Magic back in the day... games that required you(at the time no intertron really) to goto the library to figure some of the shit out

Not really nostalgia. You can measure how they are dumbed down. NWN  had hundered of feats, aout 200 spells, and more skill sthan KOTOR. Also 9 completely different classes. What did KOTOR have? 3 root classes, about 30 feats, a dozen skills, and a some force powers (spells). That is what I call dumbed down for the general audience of consoles, the people who wouldn't be able to even begin to understand how NWN worked. BioWare's last deep RPG was Neverwinter Nights, afte that they have ust dumbed down everything more and more. Thnk god DA brought it back some, but still a little too simple.

Very good points As much as I loved the polished quality of DAO, it was without a doubt dumbed down for the consoles. So was KOTOR I & II. Thats not to say that I didnt like them, actually I thought they were great because of their production quality (kotor II excluded it was horrid save for the story), but the fact is they do not a hold a candle to NWN, BG, IWD customization wise. It is truley sad but we all know why it happened and  it does open the door for another company to bring back those types of games while Bioware goes on to mainstream development.

Bethesda is also going down the same route. Every iteration of EScrolls is dumber than the previous although I thought that Morrowind was the best game ever produced. I really hate to see all the dumbing down for $$. Sometimes is better to be happy with making a modest living but leaving behind a greater legacy than making tons of cash and being forgotten... but this will not happen with publically owned companies that are owned by people who dont play games at all.

My only consolation is that by next gen all games are gonna be like Wii Sports, then I will laugh as I watch the people who like those dumbed down games cry about how THEIR games got even dumber. The irony will be hilarious.

I agree that Morrowind is the best thing to cocme out of Bethesda, sadly I doubt anyhing will change in the future, from either Beth or BW. It will only probably get worse, as I said.

@Kenryouko

I'll measure Old Republic against things like WoW and lineage and everquest, not Neverwinter Nights, BG, and IWD. So in fact it might actually be nice and comples. Or it could be an even more dumbed down MMO than WoW (is that even possible?).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
marc said:
vlad321 said:
Cueil said:
vlad321 said:

Very good points As much as I loved the polished quality of DAO, it was without a doubt dumbed down for the consoles. So was KOTOR I & II. Thats not to say that I didnt like them, actually I thought they were great because of their production quality (kotor II excluded it was horrid save for the story), but the fact is they do not a hold a candle to NWN, BG, IWD customization wise. It is truley sad but we all know why it happened and  it does open the door for another company to bring back those types of games while Bioware goes on to mainstream development.

Bethesda is also going down the same route. Every iteration of EScrolls is dumber than the previous although I thought that Morrowind was the best game ever produced. I really hate to see all the dumbing down for $$. Sometimes is better to be happy with making a modest living but leaving behind a greater legacy than making tons of cash and being forgotten... but this will not happen with publically owned companies that are owned by people who dont play games at all.

My only consolation is that by next gen all games are gonna be like Wii Sports, then I will laugh as I watch the people who like those dumbed down games cry about how THEIR games got even dumber. The irony will be hilarious.

I agree that Morrowind is the best thing to cocme out of Bethesda, sadly I doubt anyhing will change in the future, from either Beth or BW. It will only probably get worse, as I said.

@Kenryouko

I'll measure Old Republic against things like WoW and lineage and everquest, not Neverwinter Nights, BG, and IWD. So in fact it might actually be nice and comples. Or it could be an even more dumbed down MMO than WoW (is that even possible?).

Lol, what you guys call "dumbing down" I call refinement. I thought some of the "dumbing down" elements in Oblivion were a vast improvement on some of the more annoying elements of Morrowind (fast travel, no hidden stats deciding your accuracy). Don't get me wrong, I miss some of the spells and skills from Morrowind (axes aren't blunt, lol, levitation anyone?) but overall, I liked the direction the series took. Having said that I have to admit, with the number of mods I've installed it's difficult for me to say how the original game played, lol.

And with games like Neverwinter and Baldurs Gate, you kind of needed to include all the stats and the feats as they're a part of D&D which has been going for ages. Star Wars doesn't have aywahere near the depth of D&D for that sort of thing so they could get away with less feats and spells/powers. Again with Dragon Age, they've invented their own system which is quite new and doesn't have the rich history and depth of D&D.

I think I might start playing Neverwinter nights.

I've seen it with the two expansion packs for like a fiver for years, just never bought it :O. *Checks Steam*.

Around the Network

@ Marc "What was the last Jrpg that offered any sort of choice aside from simply wearing the most expensive item you can find?" Demon's Souls genius. Also, lol at your blanket statement on jrpgs needing less brain power to complete, way to generalize.

I think BioWare has evolved the story telling aspect of the rpg genre more then anything else. The quality of the writing and the voice acting in ME is amazing. Providing voice acting for every dialogue options was huge, and having you choose a emotional response rather then a scripted response was a nice touch. On top of that the presentation was solid, every interaction was shot from a number of angles as opposed to a game like Oblivion where you stare in to some npcs vacant face during every conversation. I think BioWare handles chooses well, but when every you put the decision making in the players hands you lose something in the narrative although you gain some immersive quality's.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with jrpgs linear style of story telling. My big problem with jrpgs this generation has simply been a lack of interesting story's, Lost Odyssey being a notable exception. Western rpgs have just done a better job telling compelling story's this generation. A great narrative, characters, and environments are what draw me to these type of games more then the game play. I think western rpgs have done a better job with game play by mixing action and turn based elements, but if the story is good enough in a rpg I have no problem playing a simple turn based system. Lost Odyssey is great example of this. If Jrpgs could create more interesting adventures that are a little more adult, Lost Odyssey I'm looking at you again, I believe they could recapture a large portion of gamers who have moved on to wrpgs since the last generation.

Yeah, jrpg:s have been exactly the same for what, 15 years? Wrpg:s are so much better than those boreass grindfests what people call japanese role playing games.

I'm playing through Mass Effect right now and to be quite honest, I'm not really digging it. I don't mind wrpgs but it depends on the wrpg (the same can be said about my view of jrpgs). I liked Fable II. I really liked the "Sims"-like elements of Fable II. Buying up properties and raising prices through the roof to make yourself rich and pissing off all the villagers, going around sleeping with a bunch of people and spreading STDs (threesomes, orgies and committing adultery is always fun. "Get away from my husband you strumpet!"), being able to kill civilians whenever they piss you off or just for fun. Mass Effect may be seen as a more traditional wrpg compared to Fable (which is more of a casual wrpg) but Fable II was fun. And to be quite honest I'm not really digging Mass Effect's combat. I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll grow to like it. Who knows.

I have wondered if maybe it's because I'm not that experienced with shooters but I DID love Crackdown (TPS/vertical sandbox to be precise) and Borderlands looks like it would be a lot of fun (First-person Diablo with guns). Though on the other hand, I wasn't crazy about Gears 2's single-player campaign. While I liked Gears of War 2 at first, the single-player campaign felt tedious after awhile and I just wanted to get it over with. And to me ME felt like KOTOR and Gears of War made a baby so maybe that's why I'm not crazy about the combat. Maybe I just prefer a more run n gun type of shooter as opposed to more slow-paced tactical shooters (like ME and Gears). When I think shooter, I want something that gets your adrenaline going. Not these slow-paced affairs.

loves2splooge said:

I'm playing through Mass Effect right now and to be quite honest, I'm not really digging it. I don't mind wrpgs but it depends on the wrpg (the same can be said about my view of jrpgs). I liked Fable II. I really liked the "Sims"-like elements of Fable II. Buying up properties and raising prices through the roof to make yourself rich and pissing off all the villagers, going around sleeping with a bunch of people and spreading STDs (threesomes, orgies and committing adultery is always fun. "Get away from my husband you strumpet!"), being able to kill civilians whenever they piss you off or just for fun. Mass Effect may be seen as a more traditional wrpg compared to Fable (which is more of a casual wrpg) but Fable II was fun. And to be quite honest I'm not really digging Mass Effect's combat. I just can't get into it. Maybe I'll grow to like it. Who knows.

I have wondered if maybe it's because I'm not that experienced with shooters but I DID love Crackdown (TPS/vertical sandbox to be precise) and Borderlands looks like it would be a lot of fun (First-person Diablo with guns). Though on the other hand, I wasn't crazy about Gears 2's single-player campaign. While I liked Gears of War 2 at first, the single-player campaign felt tedious after awhile and I just wanted to get it over with. And to me ME felt like KOTOR and Gears of War made a baby so maybe that's why I'm not crazy about the combat. Maybe I just prefer a more run n gun type of shooter as opposed to more slow-paced tactical shooters (like ME and Gears). When I think shooter, I want something that gets your adrenaline going. Not these slow-paced affairs.

It might be that the shooting and combat in ME was distinctly average and not that polished - at least IMHO.  ME to me was a success and got the plaudits it did because it seemed to a console audience to be amazing (much like Bioshock before it) vs the real benchmark for such titles, and because it seemed to offer a much more action/combat experience in line wth popular Western tastes, not because it really was an amazing game, because I'd argue it wasn't.  It's a good game with some damn poor design (the inventory system for a start is awful from people with Bioware's experience and other examples in the genre) and a very familiar and borrowed plot.  Still good, and I'll definately get ME2, but I have a hunch that, when ME2 arrives, it'll be what many were making ME to be in the first place.

Still, I'll take a solid new IP with flaws that delivers a superior sequel over the latest iteration of a tired franchise anyday.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...