By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales 12/10 (Tales of Graces and other games)

Disappointing for Graces and Naruto, disastrous for Winning Eleven. Luminous Arc did okay, COD did excellent.

Around the Network
woopah said:
I thought over 100k was good .....

No, its only good when its for the PS3 apparently, as ToV launch had shown. If its for the Wii, its a major bomb, despite costing less than half the production costs of the PS3 game. It takes people like Tres to troll the topic and make multiple posts to make sure people see it this way, weren't you aware?

Here's an interesting tidbit - Even if ToG reaches only 250k, it will still be more profitable to have developed than ToV on the HD systems in Japan. Thus, the dev will be more enticed to bring more Tales games to the Wii than the HD systems.

We haven't seen the sales of the first week, so stop whining.
I'm confident that ToG will sell at least 250k in Japan, which isn't either a flop or a major success.
Besides I don't think that the hardware bundles were inlcluded so it should even sell more the first week than we actually think.

Take a look at my photos on flickr

bardicverse said:
woopah said:

No, its only good when its for the PS3 apparently, as ToV launch had shown. If its for the Wii, its a major bomb, despite costing less than half the production costs of the PS3 game. It takes people like Tres to troll the topic and make multiple posts to make sure people see it this way, weren't you aware?

Here's an interesting tidbit - Even if ToG reaches only 250k, it will still be more profitable to have developed than ToV on the HD systems in Japan. Thus, the dev will be more enticed to bring more Tales games to the Wii than the HD systems.

Interesting statement... Any data to back it up? Development cost, maybe? Retailer cut, platform holder royalty, promotion fee, or revenue calculation? Seems like you know quite a bit. *_*

Can you link me to your information about the budgets of Tales of Vesperia as well as Graces?

Around the Network
VivaLaWiida said:
We haven't seen the sales of the first week, so stop whining.
I'm confident that ToG will sell at least 250k in Japan, which isn't either a flop or a major success.
Besides I don't think that the hardware bundles were inlcluded so it should even sell more the first week than we actually think.

Yeah, I think first week sales will eclipse first day sales greater than for previous Tales-titles. But are you sure about the hardware bundles not being counted? Because if they aren't, then sales will likely be quite a bit higher than most people are expecting.

bardicverse said:
woopah said:

Tales of Vesperia on the HD consoles (360 and PS3 included) will probably end around 550k lifetime. We don't know which is more profitable, but I doubt it cost that much more than Graces - I'd bet on ToV.

110k first day may not be bad, but it's certainly not good. It still has a chance at high sales, but for now, it's hard not to be disappointed.

outlawauron said:
Innervate said:
It's still far too early to label this game anything. Let's wait and hear what the gamers have to say about the game. Many factors must be taken into consideration. If this game ends up selling worse than Symphonia 2, an inferior game, then there must be a reason for it. Symphonia was one of the most successful Tales game, so I see why many people bought its sequel despite its quality.

Tales of Symphonia only sold 330k lifetime in Japan if I remember correctly. Most of its sales came from America.

310k on Gamecube, 438k on PS2.

NEXT WEEK PEOPLE:

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

bardicverse said:

Right, and you know this how? ToV has sold close to 530k. Even if Tales of Graces reaches 250k (which it won't), it hasn't even sold half of ToV, and at a lower price, too. Sure, development costs are lower on the Wii, but definitely not 3 times as low for a game that has production values up to par with ToV.