By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan First Day Sales 12/10 (Tales of Graces and other games)

Lostplanet22 said:
It had even bundles?

I think it are good sales for a Tales game though.....

Yeah, I don't know what all the fuzz is about. I think the succes of this title will mainly depend on western sales anyway.

Around the Network

ouch i was hoping ToG would sell just a little bit more than ToS2. Unless it busts some holiday legs it will be a little dissapointing for sure.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

at MW2. First day sales > pretty much every other western games' first week released in Japan for PS360 this generation.

Even the 360 version's first day sales have outdone other western games' first week sales on PS3 or 360.

I wonder if it will give the 2 systems a wee extra bounce even.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I didn't flop... hope it has legs

Nice first day sales for Mw2.

Around the Network

Great first day for Modern Warfare 2 (PS3), Modern Warfare (PS3) sold over 200k LTD in Japan... I Modern Warfare 2 expect 300k LTD... Amazing sales for a Western release. Combined with 360 version it will sell over 400k.

I expect PS3 HW over 70k with theses MW2 sales.

Tales of Graces is ok, same sales level of the other Tales games. Wii will be down this week to 70k.

PS3 HW = Wii HW = Draw

trestres said:
It's some very bad news what just happened to ToG in Japan.
The game got outsold by a spin-off when the Wii had less than half the userbase and also by a port on a console with less than half the userbase.

I don't think Namco will make another Tales game on the Wii. PSP or PS3 seem like the best suited platforms. The Wii is really unpredictable, that's what draws developers away.

The Wii is a console of extremes.

You either have to do a really simple game that is fun and appealing, or you gotta do something HUGE. Both regarding franchise power and game quality/scope. If you stand in the middle you're not gonna do well, and in a way that stands for Nintendo as well.

Did I miss something? Or what is all the fuzz about?

These are first day sales of Graces, and they are good. And they will rise the next days. I think it will outsell Vesperia (which by the Way is a mainline game too).

Ouch, that is disappointing for Tales of Graces. Seems the pre-order numbers VGChartz had were way off.

It's really sad, because Tales of Graces was one of the most important Wii games this year in Japan.

Alright, time for the Tales analysis. Here's a table for all the Tales games I could find data for:

Tales of Release date First day First week LTD (VGC)
Vesperia (PS3) 9/17/09 147k 217k 334k (still selling)
VS. (PSP) 8/6/09 89k 133k 217k (still selling)
Radiant Mythology 2 (PSP) 1/29/09 135k 213k 330k
Hearts (DS) 12/18/08 121k 140k 251k
Vesperia (X360) 8/7/08 71k 108k 186k
Symphonia: DotNW (Wii) 6/26/08 120k 137k 216k
Innocence (DS) 12/6/07 76k 104k 262k

I bolded the titles that launched in December, and used VGC for LTD (dunno where to look for Famitsu).

I guess you can hope for a pattern like Innocence, though that's probably pushing it. If I had to guess ToG's lifetime now (really not much to go by atm), I'd say 270k. I'm assuming it'll outdo Hearts, since this game launched earlier in the month.

Some older December Tales from VGC data:

Radiant Mythology (PSP, 2006) - 112k FW, 234k LTD
Abyss (PS2, 2005) - 378k FW, 570k LTD
Rebirth (PS2, 2004) - 385k FW, 589k LTD

Anyway, I hope its first week surprises us. If it turns out to be something like 170k, it still has a chance at overtaking Vesperia (PS3).