By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - was home a bad idea

twesterm said:
Kantor said:
twesterm said:
Kantor said:
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's made money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And people do use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you're joing around here but it just astounds me how many that people use the well it makes money so it must be good argument.

Would you call something like the Shrek games good?  I guarantee you those are terrible games but they made assloads of money.

It's a good idea. Nowhere in the OP does it mention Home being "good".

I completely agree it was a good idea, it just always confuses me that people confuse good idea with good game (or application) because it makes money.  Just because someone is free, makes money, or a "beta" does not make it good (for the consumer at least).

didnt understand how can a free application that you are not obligate to use at anytime, could be bad for the consumer? its not great, aint the most original thing but bad aint something that we should say about home... if you like it use it if you dont like dont use it. Time now a days is a very important thing so if people are spending their time in there its because they get something back from it. home surely could be a bad ideia to sony thats a fact but for us? does not make any logic saying that home is bad for us...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
sergiodaly said:
twesterm said:
Kantor said:
twesterm said:
Kantor said:
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's made money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And people do use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you're joing around here but it just astounds me how many that people use the well it makes money so it must be good argument.

Would you call something like the Shrek games good?  I guarantee you those are terrible games but they made assloads of money.

It's a good idea. Nowhere in the OP does it mention Home being "good".

I completely agree it was a good idea, it just always confuses me that people confuse good idea with good game (or application) because it makes money.  Just because someone is free, makes money, or a "beta" does not make it good (for the consumer at least).

didnt understand how can a free application that you are not obligate to use at anytime, could be bad for the consumer? its not great, aint the most original thing but bad aint something that we should say about home... if you like it use it if you dont like dont use it. Time now a days is a very important thing so if people are spending their time in there its because they get something back from it. home surely could be a bad ideia to sony thats a fact but for us? does not make any logic saying that home is bad for us...

You do realize it is possible for free things to be bad correct? A free bad game is still a bad game.

And just as you say, I don't use it.  I've given it many chances and each time I came away upset so I just don't even bother anymore.

I think where you're confused is the consumer bit.  When I say that I mean it's good for Sony because it does make them money.  I don't need figures to know that something that costs around $1000 to make is low cost, low risk, and high return so that's great for them.  It's bad for consumers because it's just a bad game.  I'm not denying there are people that enjoy it, but you can find someone that enjoys every game.

oldschoolfool said:

Was home on the playstation 3 a bad idea!!!!!! Does anybody even use it anymore!!!!!!!! Is Sony makeing money on home,that would be the only reason that they still have it!!!!!!!!!!

HOME IS POO

Even before I downloaded Home out of curiousity, I already knew that this kind of virtual world is not my cup of tea, but outside the loading times I thought it looked good and could be very interesting for people who are into this. Fans of Second Life, social networking or MMO in general.

I think Sony have just started. They still have many years to improve Home on PS3 and its successor(s) and then there's also their other social networking/MMO hybrid(?) Free Realms, which seems to be very succesful already on PC and comes to PS3 next year.

What Pull...er...Severance said about one of his PSN friends who bought her PS3 just for Home is an interesting anecdote. Broadening the audience, isn't this what all three console makers want?

Was Playstation Home a bad idea?

Yes.
Waste of time and ressources.

My Gaming Setup

Around the Network

How much could Home POSSIBLY have cost to develop? It's a few thousand square feet of fancy scenery, and really not very much else, except the occasional game/movie.

When you consider that an average HD game costs $5 million, could Home have cost anywhere NEAR that?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

People are quick to snark at those who say Home makes money, can anyone prove it doesn't? I dunno if it does, but I'm pretty sure no one else knows if it doesn't, so don't jump the gun.

Long story short, if you don't like it, don't use it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I liked the Home idea, but I would like to see it in a different way.... Im not sure how tho.

People seem to forget it's a brand new venture for consoles, a Sony console for that matter, I have no idea why everyone expected it to be the best thing since sliced bread. It's basically a glorified chatroom to make psn friends and talk about games so why oh why oh why do people expect it to be the best thing ever? I really don't get it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Funnily enough I think it's too early to tell. Clearly the initial hype implying we'd all be madly cavorting around Home, gazing at each others Trophies - oh er madam - and discussing tactics for the next big match in KZ2 doesn't seem to have come to fruition.

However, judging by press releases, etc. I suspect it makes money, it's clearly got a core regular audience, and as they add more reason to actual bother being in Home I do expect to see it expand.

But right now it still seems very much like a Beta for me, and still seems somewhat adrift in terms of clearly aligning to some overall strategy.

I do suspect Sony would have seen better return focusing the effort that went into Home into PSN and matching Live first, then pushing Home, but we'll never know for sure.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...