By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - was home a bad idea

conceptually it wasnt a particularly bad idea. home, as it is, on the other hand...

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

I happen to think it is cool Sony did this. However, their approach has resulted in something that hasn't come off right, and is hard to make it come to life. Several things:
1. WTF, lines? Of all the immersion things you don't want to simulate, it is lines. Usage of items is restricted just like it is in real life. I guess Sony wants to force people to buy virtual items so they can play them. But, for me, all that does is make me not want to show up at all. I am sorry, I am not logging on for cute.
2. The lack of a decent way to chat. Unlike with the XBox 360, where you get a headset when you go online (or they are cheap, along with the typing pad), you get nothing. So, you log onto home and have to cue up, "I have no keyboard". They also disabled mic capabilities to from time to time.
3. The lack of content. This is getting better. However, since home is a sterile world, and companies control content production, the world has a hard time getting new content. Sony decided to do a "Let's go beta launch" in order to get it out there, to get people to show up, so that content providers will be able to show up.
3a. The online games suck for the most part (outside of Carriage Return). Why would even play those games offline? Ok, it is getting better, but commenting on what was there first.
4. You have to install EVERY SINGLE PART OF THE WORLD on your PS3. Content isn't streamed to your machine as you play. You have to install a new area each time there is an update.

I could go on about other issues. As of now, while I think Home is theoretically cool, it is still not there. I have not much motivation to log on, and I am certainly not planning on spending money there. And if it is mostly for cyber, that has to be the lamest thing on the planet. Sheesh, log on Second Life if you are that need to do stuff like that. It is free, and works on any modern PC.

Actually, speaking of Second Life, there is nothing Home provides that SL doesn't.

CommonMan said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
CommonMan said:
When I first got my PS3 earlier this year, I went in for about 10 minutes, looked for another person, couldn't find one and thought "You know what, I could be playing a game right now!" so I went and played Uncharted. So in that respect it was a great idea, it made me realize how much more fun gaming is then playing "virtual petz:people".

you couldn't find anyone? when has there ever been an empty room in home? lol 

sorry i just dont understand mate

If I'm going to be honest, I only checked out my apartment building and the street outside. I realized that it wasn't something for me pretty quickly, especially when I was staring at an unplayed copy of MGS4 in front of me.

lol fair enough

btw only you can be in your apartment unless you invite people and also how do you check the rest of the appartment building and the street outside? am i missing something in home! lol  or by street you mean like the home squire thing lol 

i really need to finish MGS4! got to Act 3 and stopped playing (is there 5 total?) but yeh need to get back to that! cheers for the reminder mate lol

Ajescent said:
We get this thread every week, we should make one a sticky so folks don't feel obligated to make new ones.

where. It's never in the hot topics.

noo...first of its pretyy cool...second it dos what is what made for... thirds sony earned like a mill dollars in the first couple of weeks

Around the Network

It's not for me at the moment, but theres always tons of people online, so it probably was.

ummmm!!!!!!!!

I!!!!!!!

Think!!!!!

Your!!!!!!

Onto!!!!!!!!

Something!!!!!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
ummmm!!!!!!!!

I!!!!!!!

Think!!!!!

Your!!!!!!

Onto!!!!!!!!

Something!!!!!!

Home has had over 9 million people log into the world.

Every now and then when I'm on I see tons of people and have to wait in line for awhile to play any of the games. So I leave til I boot it up a month later.

Home isn't all that bad. It makes it's money back easily. If I were to buy EVERY item in Home I would spend nearly 2,000 dollars. I know some people who HAVE done that. so from the people I know who did that alone that's 20,000 dollars. So it adds up very quickly. Home is very profitable, the only issue Home really has is people hack items they shouldn't have. The downside of having Linux in some regards for them lol.
'

PSN ID: KingFate_