By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which of the "HD Twins" should santa bring me this Christmas?

Domicinator said:
Even as a REALLY BIG fan of the 360, I have trouble these days recommending a 360 over the PS3. You can't use the "360 is cheaper" argument anymore. (you really couldn't before either) The 360 and PS3 out of the box are the same price, but with the 360 you are going to pay a lot more money if you want rechargeable controllers, wi fi connectivity, and online play. So the 360 will nickel and dime you a bit after you buy it. I will sya that even though it does not have a BluRay player built in, the new Zune Marketplace literally has the capability to give you BluRay quality HD movies if you have a decent internet connection. But to echo jefforange89's comment, the 360 can be a bit of a "scam" when you think about all the stuff you have to pay extra for it to do.

The PS3's library has gone from ok to awesome in the last year and a half and has a lot of good stuff (yes, these titles even have release windows announced for once!) coming out in the next 3 to 5 months as well. And you won't be wanting for things to play in the meantime. Little Big Planet, Uncharted 1 and 2, Demon's Souls, Killzone 2 etc. are all awesome games. Plus, everything you need to get going is right there in the box. There's not even an external power supply to worry about and you don't pay a dime to play online. The Sixaxis controllers are rechargeable. (The only drawback is that I don't think there's a very good way of replacing their batteries on your own.)

Both consoles are great. I love them both and give both about equal play time. HOWEVER, do not let anyone tell you they are the same price. In the end, the PS3 is actually cheaper.

your sir, have my utmost respect

Around the Network
Procrastinato said:

Just fyi: F1 is published by Sony. You're not going to see it on the 360, to my knowledge.

There's been a F1 release for the PS3, it just didn't make a huge splash. Most people thought it was "too technical", and thus didn't appeal to the typical gamer.

F1 is also outrageously expensive and hard to find, even used, because it was only printed in small numbers, I think.  Look for "F1 PS3" on Amazon (or whereever), and you'll see what I mean.

Sony lost the rights to the F1 games hence me playing F1 2009 on my Wii for the last few weeks. Codemasters is developing the games now and F1 2010 will be on both the 360 and PS3.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm just going to have to hire both systems before christams and see which games I enjoy the most.

A quick list of the 5 best exclusives for each would help. I will be playing Mass Effect due to my love of KOTOR and I'll try Uncharted 2 because I hear that it's awesome.

Any other recomendations apart from Halo, MGS4 and LBP?

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

wick said:
Procrastinato said:

Just fyi: F1 is published by Sony. You're not going to see it on the 360, to my knowledge.

There's been a F1 release for the PS3, it just didn't make a huge splash. Most people thought it was "too technical", and thus didn't appeal to the typical gamer.

F1 is also outrageously expensive and hard to find, even used, because it was only printed in small numbers, I think.  Look for "F1 PS3" on Amazon (or whereever), and you'll see what I mean.

Sony lost the rights to the F1 games hence me playing F1 2009 on my Wii for the last few weeks. Codemasters is developing the games now and F1 2010 will be on both the 360 and PS3.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm just going to have to hire both systems before christams and see which games I enjoy the most.

A quick list of the 5 best exclusives for each would help. I will be playing Mass Effect due to my love of KOTOR and I'll try Uncharted 2 because I hear that it's awesome.

Killzone 2.  This is a very under rated that even I crapped all over until I actually dug in and tried it.  Once I started, I couldn't put it down.  This is the first shooter I have ever played on the consoles that feels like it was actually designed for a controller and not a mouse and keyboard.

wick said:
Procrastinato said:

I'm going to include a couple upcoming games, even though I don't "know" they're great... yet.

Top 5 exclusive, X360:

Fable 2

Halo 3

Forza 3

Gears of War 2

Mass Effect 2 (2010)

...lots of the X360 exclusives I listed are sequels of other, also great, games on the X360, meaning there's much more there.

Top 5 exclusive series, PS3:

Gran Turismo 5 (2010)

Uncharted 2

God of War 3

Killzone 2

...so many to choose from for the last spot... inFamous?  Yakuza 3?  Demons' Souls?  Valkyria Chronicles?  MAG?  Wide variety of titles that please gamers of specific tastes.

I find the RPG front particularly interesting, since there are a lot of exclusives to choose from, on either console... although MS now seems less interested than they once were, at acquiring JRPG exclusives for the 360.  That said, I find games like Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc. pretty fun.  The PS3's list of exclusive RPGs is growing pretty fast, however... White Knight Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, Demons' Souls, Folklore, etc., with lots of "hopefuls" coming from Japan (e.g. Atelier Rorona) soon.

wick said:
Ok so it sounds like the PS3 is better value out of the box but I might be interested in more of the 360 exclusives.

Does anyone know if there's a KOTOR 3 in the making because that could make my decision very easy.

No. There is however a KOTOR MMO but that is a PC exclusive.

Around the Network

All-Time High Scores

1 Grand Theft Auto IV 98
2 BioShock 96
3 Orange Box, The 96
4 Gears of War 94
5 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The 94
6 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 94
7 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 94
8 Halo 3 94
9 Braid 93
10 Street Fighter IV 93
11 Fallout 3 93
12 Gears of War 2 93
13 Guitar Hero II 92
14 Rock Band 92
15 Batman: Arkham Asylum 92
16 Forza Motorsport 3 92
17 Rock Band 2 92
18 Assassin's Creed II 91
19 Mass Effect 91
20 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 90

All-Time High Scores

1 Grand Theft Auto IV 98
2 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 96
3 LittleBigPlanet 95
4 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 94
5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 94
6 BioShock 94
7 Street Fighter IV 94
8 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 94
9 Braid 93
10 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The 93

11 God of War Collection 92
12 Rock Band 92
13 Assassin's Creed II 92
14 FIFA Soccer 10 91
15 Rock Band 2 91
16 Killzone 2 91
17 Batman: Arkham Asylum 91
18 Fallout 3 90
19 MLB 09: The Show 90
20 WipEout HD Fury 89

Thats the top 20 for each console. Its really surprising how similar they are.

Tease.

PS3: Motorstorm: Pacific Rift....Must play...

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

EDIT: Since you're not a Metal Gear fan, there's little reason to choose the PS3 over the 360 IMO. Most of the biggest games are multiplat anyway, and besides some standout exclusives 360 either matches or beats PS3's game selection regardless of genre.

Unless you want a decent Blu-Ray player that can play games as well. Which you don't.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

well if the single player is very important id say PS3, Uncharted 1 + 2, Resistance 1 + 2 and infamous are great, 360 has good SP to but I dont think that Halo or gears really touches either uncharted or R:FOM, I have played through the whole campaign of all of the games

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

wick said:
amp316 said:
Your girlfriend is buying you a video game system for Christmas? Perhaps you should marry her.

Be careful with all of this posting Wick. You'll be at 0.25 posts a day before you know it.

Haha now if she bought me both I might have to slip a ring on the finger but I'm not sure she'd accept someone with a 0.25 average

I can see where she'd be coming from.  Anything over one quarter of a post a day is taking way too much time from her.

On topic.  I am the same as you being a Wii owner and if my lady told me that she was thinking about giving me a system that I didn't have for Christmas, I'd have to ask her to get me a Vectrex.  The Vectrex does what the Virtual Boy don't.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger