By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How will the PS3 do in 2008 when its "big guns" (GT5, MGS, etc.) come out?

To those who state that people will just not be able to afford the PS3 in April/May/June this year keep in mind that many Americans, young and old, will get tax rebate checks during that timeframe from a economy stimulus package that was approved and only needs to be signed by the President. All of a sudden many american's will have $300/$600(the most people)/$900/$1200 rebates that they will get at that time. They could use it for presents or gifts that they may not be able to afford during a normal time of the year, but will decide that they need to get the new PS3 (or wii/360) for them so we'll probably see console sales increase when these checks come to the people of the US.

The PS3 will do just fine this year and continue to outsell the 360 week after week like it's doing at this time. And, this thread is soooo full of anti-sony flames that I'm shocked it's still up right now.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

Also, I think that to the average gamer, the episodic content doesn't matter for GTA4. I know it doesn't for me as I'm not the type of person who normally would shell out money just for extra content in a game that I played to death, completed, and has been sitting on the shelf for a month. We don't even know what that content will exactly be yet or when it will come out.

I think there are alot of GTA fans who only played it on the PS2 and will naturally be looking for a PS3 when it comes out and many of them won't even know about that content that they would have to pay extra for. ;)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Soriku said:
I think we can have a pretty good intellectual discussion

How do you think when all those big guns come out the PS3 will do? As far as I can tell, basically the MAJORITY come in Q1-Q3 2008 while some others come out in 2009 (RE5, probably FF XIII, etc.).

Some "big guns" are PS3-360 multiplatform, mind you (DMC4, GTA IV, etc.), so will that affect those game's sales on the PS3 or no?

And overall, how well might the PS3 do? How high might PS3 sales go up? Do you think this will SIGNIFICANTLY help Sony? Plus we always keep saying how the "Wii will get majority of the third-party devs in 2008 on it's side." Will this really happen, or will the PS3 still have devs on its side? Plus will 2008 be the end of PS3-360 multiplatform games or no?

Discuss.

GTAIV and DMC4 will only provide a temp. boost to PS3 sales because those game tend to have big launches who then terrible legs. So maybe for a month, PS3 sales will be boosted significantly but that will wear off and it will be back to normal levels. As for the 3rd parties, I still don't think that many will come to Wii because many developers are still unsure about it. 2008 will def. not be the end of multiplatforms because that is the way game developers make the most money.

I think 2008 line up of games can be Sonys savior. The ONLY thing they have to do is advertise the hell out of these games, Halo was on every possible product M$ could get there hands on and that marketing campaign let all the casual gamers ,who dont visit gaming sites or read a gaming mag, that Halo was coming. I belive Sony needs to do a serious marketing campaign this year to let EVERYONE know whats coming.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

^still.....even with all the advertising, casual gamers won't pick it up cause it's a shooter (self explanatory) therefore, even if sony advertises the games a lot, it will have a very limited effect if any at all

Around the Network

well when they release ps3 will start to sell more

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

jjseth said:
To those who state that people will just not be able to afford the PS3 in April/May/June this year keep in mind that many Americans, young and old, will get tax rebate checks during that timeframe from a economy stimulus package that was approved and only needs to be signed by the President. All of a sudden many american's will have $300/$600(the most people)/$900/$1200 rebates that they will get at that time. They could use it for presents or gifts that they may not be able to afford during a normal time of the year, but will decide that they need to get the new PS3 (or wii/360) for them so we'll probably see console sales increase when these checks come to the people of the US.

The PS3 will do just fine this year and continue to outsell the 360 week after week like it's doing at this time. And, this thread is soooo full of anti-sony flames that I'm shocked it's still up right now.

I expect gas prices to jump right around the time the checks start rolling out, the impact on console sales will be negligible.  On the other hand, oil company profits for that quarter will break records (again).

Switch: SW-5066-1525-5130

XBL: GratuitousFREEK

^I bet the Oil Companies are lovin' these times :)

lol @ ningaguydan
that was like completely random...

Anyhoo, I think it;s a no-brainer that the PS3 will have a better year than the 360 this year. It's pretty much wrapped up Europe as far as the HD consoles are concerned (sorry Wii fans, I'll have to leave you out because it depresses me too much.......all right all right I admit it, so I can't process more than two opposing sides at once.......sue me) and the 360 never had a prayer in Japan. Also, I think the three AAA FPSs coming out only on PS3 (MGS4, Haze, and Resistance 2) will really help the PS3 in NA.
On the other hand, the unforseen can arise, and my thoughts could end up being totally wrong. However, a price drop for the 360 will be a non-factor because as soon as M$ does a price drop, Sony will follow immediately with one of their own. (and to all the posters above who apparently slept in caves for the last month, Sony spends $400 to make a 40 GB PS3. That means they could sell the PS3 for $150 and still lose less money per console than they did at launch)

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

wiiforever said:
^still.....even with all the advertising, casual gamers won't pick it up cause it's a shooter (self explanatory) therefore, even if sony advertises the games a lot, it will have a very limited effect if any at all

The real "big guns" games for the ps3 are the EXCLUSIVE ONES(Resistance 2,Tekken 6,Killzone 2,MGS4:Guns of Patriots,the new Final Fantasy,HAZE,MLB:THE SHOW,LBP-possibly,and maybe Motorstorm 2) which ALL come out THIS YEAR! SALES WW FOR THE PS3 will INCREASE DRAMATICALLY THE WHOLE YR. GDC 08 coming 2/18/08 on g4tv channel so we'll c what everybody will b talking about.

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell