By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How will the PS3 do in 2008 when its "big guns" (GT5, MGS, etc.) come out?

SlorgNet said:
white devil said:

If the PS3 has such great momentum and outselling the 360 so badly outside of America, why is the PS3's worldwide sales being beat weekly by 360's American sales only?

Because the US sales increase seems to be a temporary spike limited to the Halo launch, not a yearlong condition. Sales of the 360 are going back to normal holiday levels, while PS3 sales are now starting to climb significantly in Japan and the EU, even before the major software releases and the cheaper PS3. That's a worrisome sign that Microsoft has failed to branch out of its core market, American FPS gamers.

Temporary is hard to tell, its been more then a month after halo, and if it was temporary sales of the 360 would decline not climb. And of course its not year long, sales of all consoles go down at certain times, but it still doesnt mean 360 wont be outselling it.

It climbed because of a price drop, when the 360 was badly outselling the ps3 in others after price drop (not badly but more) we didnt say that 360 was outselling it and ps3 needed to be worried. Sales will most likely drop to normal or stay the same for holiday (also raising the other 2 consoles) but i dont think its normal sales

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network
WEWdeadeye said:
Zucas, how can you say its going to be a great year for sony and not the 360? What would lead you to believe that the PS3 is magically going to start dominating the market, while everyone stops buying MS's machine? I cant possible understand what would lead you to that conclusion?!?!

Neither do i, its certainly not lack of games

Possibly brand name, but xbox still has quite a good brand name in US, and 360 still has yet to sell half of what xbox did in america, we can expect more good sales from america, and its on track for outselling the xbox in others and japan.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

Yes.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Care to elaborate?

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

WEWdeadeye said:
Zucas, how can you say its going to be a great year for sony and not the 360? What would lead you to believe that the PS3 is magically going to start dominating the market, while everyone stops buying MS's machine? I cant possible understand what would lead you to that conclusion?!?!

Grr more nitpicking.  Did you are least read the rest of my long post.

But anyways I'll give you a solid reason.  The market isn't able to hold 3 competitors all selling well at the same time other than a holiday season.  Meaning if I think 2 products are going to be doing well in a similar timeframe then there is no other way the 3rd product can be doing well now can it.  

Around the Network

Is it only me or does any realize that there are 4 Big guns, the fourth one is Tekken 6, ppl keep on forgeting that game it is a big system seller 2.

Big Guns - Forget it all new games could be big guns. !
Motorstorm is the PS3's big gun this generation when Motorstorm 2 comes out it will break the records.
These franchises like GT are past their prime it's the new games to watch out for ie Wii Sports has blown away so many old records.
Look for some fresh blood like Drakes fortune ,Folklore or RFOM to bring in the big numbers or sales - No one even heard of Wii Sports and yet it eclipsed all these crap old franchises and sells millions of Wii's, PS3 needs new ideas to get new demographies playing, not updated ports of PS2 games.
Particularly GT5 is showing it's age now it was designed for the PS2s Dualshock and on PS3 it completly fails to take advantage of any nextgen motion features. It may as well be called Feroza !.
Look out for for some new franchises using the PS3 eye these could bring in swarms of new people wo never played games before.

PS3 number 1 fan

after 40g and holydays ps3 is selling at near 10 million year/rate

with 299€/$ price and big guns released I expect 15 million year. Still far from ps2 20-22 million/year

It will hurt PS3 sales.

Dumb questions get dumb answers. Obviously we'll see an increase in hardware sales, and it will help drastically.

I believe that the PS3 will have a stellar year this year because of said games. Its even sold decently with a ludicrous pricepoint and practically no software up until last fall/late summer.
There are big markets to reap from yet on the gamer side, and this veritable gamers pasture will be plotted and put to full use this year I believe. Seeing what's already out on 360, and what's slated for release on the PS3 and not to mention the PC, I think its safe to assume that this might be the "hardcore" gamers dream year if there ever was one.

There will never be Sony domination, perhaps ever again, but there will be vast improvements this year, and only time will tell how vast. Personally, I think the PS3 could hit well over 20 million by years end with a superb christmas season worldwide for the first time, including its strongest territory.