By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How will the PS3 do in 2008 when its "big guns" (GT5, MGS, etc.) come out?

should do better, to match 360 sales or beat it, unless 360 drops its price early on, which it should

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

enos, i would be willing to bet $399 worth of 40g ps3 your a sony fanboy

anyway, like mass chamber said, best games and word of mouth wins, and the ps3 will be getten some great games and great word of mouth. i cant wait till end of 08

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

mancandy said:
I think that with the release of PS3's big guns, their sales should spike momentarily. However, it will be short lived as I believe that most of the people that are looking to play these games already have a PS3. I am not sure if there are a lot of people like me that are still holding out for these games.

makes no sense at all.. so you believe the fanbase for MGS4 , GTAIV, GTR5,  and other big name games in 2008 consist of 2million people right now in USA??

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

I don't see too much different happening except PS3 sales will go up (They can't really go down)... The question is by how much?

Wii will do fine... Mario stuff and the WiiFit stuff will keep casual gamers buying and bringing new people into the market.

360 will remain steady... Microsoft isn't dumb and they will keep the ship moving forward.

I don't think GTA IV can really be counted upon to help PS3 sales much... With GTA IV episodic content being exclusive to 360 it may actually help 360.

MGS4... It is going to ship at a bad time of the year (April - June). It will do really good and push consoles but not near as many as it would if released at Christmas. Most families can't afford a $300-$400 console + games (MGS4) + accessories outside of the Christmas season...

It will be an interesting year. And it will be the year that defines the generation. Whoever is selling the most per week by next November will win the generation and that's the bottom line.

A few good titles will do the PS3 wonders, but the real question is whether all those titles will make it.

MGS4's delay makes me uneasy.

Around the Network

Ah, 2008... things may get very rough for Microsoft, very quickly.

Believe it or not, Sony is not losing money on the PS3 hardware anymore - 30% annual cost reductions, plus the 65 nm chips have arrived, plus the strength of the euro (399EUR = $575 US). Most of the parts are made in China, which ties its currency to the US dollar. At this point, the game division's losses are due to increased advertising costs, as they shift to a mass ad campaign and software revenues start to roll in.

Originally I thought Sony was going to give Microsoft six more months of breathing room, i.e. cut prices to $399 in spring of 2008. But instead they're going for the jugular. $399 for November 2, and most likely a $349 or lower price point by spring of 2008 and $299 by fall of 2008, plus several Godzilla-sized games from its studio system.

zackblue said:
PLease dont make sony nintendo now by saying look at the gamecubes library. So what? Its a playstation not a nintendo.

I see the ps3 doing amazing in 2008, you guys would jaw drop. Japan sales should increase drasticly with dyansty warriors bundle. Maybe as high as 50k before the holiday. This chtristmas should go to the wii, secound to the ps3. Why? Sales as high as 100k in japan, and europe is sony's to take. The 360 only has the U.S, and the ps3 should rival its sales with the 40gb.

You're right that it's a Sony system and not a Nintendo one but you're absolutely wrong in saying that you can't learn from the past.  The Gamecube had some killer titles and even some that were the best of last gen.  Hell, it even has games that are 4-5 years old that still sell well.  A handful of good titles do not save a system.

cool48 said:
120 million people already own a PS2. So in other words 120 million people don't need BC.

Let's say half of them don't want to keep their PS2 or it broke and the other half buys a 40GB PS3 with no BC it could still sell pretty damn well.

True, but a good majority of those people don't want to keep a PS2 and a PS3 in their entertainment center.  Most areas are already crowded enough and most TV's and receivers already have most of their plugs used up, do you really think those 120 million people really want more clutter?

It's so funny to watch people try to spin the loss of BC as a good thing because it really is nothing but bad.

SlorgNet said:
Ah, 2008... things may get very rough for Microsoft, very quickly.

Believe it or not, Sony is not losing money on the PS3 hardware anymore - 30% annual cost reductions, plus the 65 nm chips have arrived, plus the strength of the euro (399EUR = $575 US). Most of the parts are made in China, which ties its currency to the US dollar. At this point, the game division's losses are due to increased advertising costs, as they shift to a mass ad campaign and software revenues start to roll in.

Originally I thought Sony was going to give Microsoft six more months of breathing room, i.e. cut prices to $399 in spring of 2008. But instead they're going for the jugular. $399 for November 2, and most likely a $349 or lower price point by spring of 2008 and $299 by fall of 2008, plus several Godzilla-sized games from its studio system.

The console with a 20-gigabyte hard drive costs $805.85 to make and sells for $499 at the register, for a loss of $306.85, according to iSuppli.

The higher-end 60 GB unit, with built-in Wi-Fi and other amenities, does slightly better, with a loss of $241.55, stemming from production costs of $830.25 against a $599 pricetag.

These losses aren't unusual in the video-game business. Most consoles are financial losers initially, but the manufacturers more than make up the shortfall over time through licensing agreements with game publishers, as well as selling second controllers and other accessories. And as time goes on, the components and processes used to make the consoles

http://www.foxbusiness.com/article/playstation-expensive-sony-230259.html

So right now, sony is losing ALOT of money on those two consoles, and im sure the 40G is not much better

Your 575 for each one is europe only, think about prices in japan and America

You understand that MS wont just stand and watch why sony drops price and releases games right?

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

The only exclusive game that can realisticly move a decent number of systems in 08 is Gran Turismo 5. MGS 4 and Killzone 2 maybe great games, but hardly major system sellers. Halo 3 sold phenomaly but system sales didn't exactly spike as much as people predicted.

Home might do someting to spur sales. It's a real wildcard.

Frasman said:
The only exclusive game that can realisticly move a decent number of systems in 08 is Gran Turismo 5. MGS 4 and Killzone 2 maybe great games, but hardly major system sellers. Halo 3 sold phenomaly but system sales didn't exactly spike as much as people predicted.

Home might do someting to spur sales. It's a real wildcard.

Home isn't really a system seller, it's just kind of there.  It will be a neat toy for people that have a PS3 but it's almost like saying Folding@Home is a system seller.