By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How will the PS3 do in 2008 when its "big guns" (GT5, MGS, etc.) come out?

Remember, many of these "big guns" are effectively ps3 exclusives in Japan, and they will really help it against the Wii. Expect a big spike come Jan. 31 when DMC4 launches in Japan.

Around the Network

I can see GT 5 really helping out the ps3. I know a lot of people who are waiting for that game to come out before they get their ps3. I think GTA4 and MGS4 will get pushed back till fall 08 since that is when people buy games in large numbers.

Lost tears of Kain said:

The console with a 20-gigabyte hard drive costs $805.85 to make and sells for $499 at the register, for a loss of $306.85, according to iSuppli.

The higher-end 60 GB unit, with built-in Wi-Fi and other amenities, does slightly better, with a loss of $241.55, stemming from production costs of $830.25 against a $599 pricetag.

So right now, sony is losing ALOT of money on those two consoles, and im sure the 40G is not much better

ISupply's estimate was issued in November, 2006 and referred to launch hardware only. I'm talking about hardware manufactured right now. Electronics hardware drops in price constantly - typically, about 30% a year. The costs of BluRay have dropped even more (the Taiwanese manufacturers have said, in various places on the Web, that the original $125 for the diode has dropped way, way down, by at least a hundred dollars).

Soriku said:
makingmusic476 said:
Remember, many of these "big guns" are effectively ps3 exclusives in Japan, and they will really help it against the Wii. Expect a big spike come Jan. 31 when DMC4 launches in Japan.

Only problem is DMC4 is coming to the 360 as well...

do you really think DMC4 is gonna sell more 360's in Japan than  ps3's??

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

Frasman said:
The only exclusive game that can realisticly move a decent number of systems in 08 is Gran Turismo 5. MGS 4 and Killzone 2 maybe great games, but hardly major system sellers. Halo 3 sold phenomaly but system sales didn't exactly spike as much as people predicted.

Home might do someting to spur sales. It's a real wildcard

Huh? Have you seen the 360 sales since Halo launch? Compared to July, the period leading into and after Halo 3 has seen 360 sales skyrocket (driven almost exclusively by NA). In fact, the sales of the 360 has been so consistently high for such a long time after the launch that this might be the new level of sales for the console. It may not have spiked so much at launch, but over the last three months 360 sales have been way higher.

If one of those games can pull a Halo 3 in one region, the PS3 baseline sales will similarly increase. I think GT5 in Europe is going to be that game. Killzone 2, not so much I think. It looks incredibly, but the last game sucked. And people do base their purchasing decision based on how well the prequel did, assuming Killzone 2 is even good. I don't think MGS4 will have that large of an effect. I think it will be felt more in Europe than in NA/JP though. I don't think Home will do anything. As someone mentioned, it's like saying Folding is a system seller. I feel that the expectations of Home pulling a myspace are incredibly misplaced, since what gets people into social networking sites is largely the cost (free) and the potential benefits of keeping in touch (aka spitting game and using it as a hook up tool). Somehow I don't think that'll happen on a $300 - $400 system that's probably somewhere over 80% male.

Around the Network

if it dosent do well in 2008 just wait till 2009 that will be the year of teh ps3

SlorgNet said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

The console with a 20-gigabyte hard drive costs $805.85 to make and sells for $499 at the register, for a loss of $306.85, according to iSuppli.

The higher-end 60 GB unit, with built-in Wi-Fi and other amenities, does slightly better, with a loss of $241.55, stemming from production costs of $830.25 against a $599 pricetag.

So right now, sony is losing ALOT of money on those two consoles, and im sure the 40G is not much better

ISupply's estimate was issued in November, 2006 and referred to launch hardware only. I'm talking about hardware manufactured right now. Electronics hardware drops in price constantly - typically, about 30% a year. The costs of BluRay have dropped even more (the Taiwanese manufacturers have said, in various places on the Web, that the original $125 for the diode has dropped way, way down, by at least a hundred dollars).

I believe it was SCE's president who recently claimed that they were still losing money on the PS3 but he wouldn't elaborate on how much ... Being that Sony recently announced that their year end losses may be (much) worse than initially forcast I would suspect that they're losing a lot of money per console; being that they've lost nearly $1 Billion on the first half of fiscal 2008 and claim their losses may double by the end of the year I suspect that they're still losing quite a lot per console.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=602

Now, do you have any information that implies Sony is turing a profit on the sales of PS3 systems?

I thought Lair and Heavenly Sword were supposed to be big guns. When is the endless parade of, woulda coulda shoulda gonna end for the PS3 guys? The PS3 is going to need a miracle to ever catch the 360 let alone the Wii. The 360 out classes the PS3 where it matters most. Price. Just about everything the PS3 can do the 360 can do, cheaper. The average consumer could care less about Blu Ray or HD DVD right now due to the fact that very few people have a TV and soundsystem that fully take advantage of what the formats offer. The heavy hitters, for the most part, are multiplatform. And let me let you guys in on a secret. The new Console from Microsoft is on its way. They are years ahead of Sony right now. Sony still hasn't settled on a base version of the PS3 yet. It changes every month! I am not a 360 fanboy. I don't own one. I will never own one. One thing I can do is look at reality, and the reality of the situation right now is, the 360 is in a much stronger position than PS3.

Yeah, Oneda said that Sony MIGHT break even on PS3 hardware sales in 2008. Of course he said the same thing about 2007 earlier.

Reading between the lines - We'll break even if there we are able to sell enough to produce in volume, get substantial price cuts from our suppliers and there are no more price cuts.

HappySqurriel said:

I believe it was SCE's president who recently claimed that they were still losing money on the PS3 but he wouldn't elaborate on how much ... Being that Sony recently announced that their year end losses may be (much) worse than initially forcast I would suspect that they're losing a lot of money per console; being that they've lost nearly $1 Billion on the first half of fiscal 2008 and claim their losses may double by the end of the year I suspect that they're still losing quite a lot per console.

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=602

Now, do you have any information that implies Sony is turing a profit on the sales of PS3 systems?

I'm not a Sony employee and have no special access to their data, I'm just relying on industry averages (30% is the ballpark figure for annual cost-reductions in electronics), news reports about BluRay in the reputable branches of the silicon press, and I'm assuming iSupply's original estimate was accurate. The PS3 will continue to lose money for awhile, sure, because manufacturing costs are only part of total costs - there's servicing, transport, advertising, etc.

But $2 billion in total losses wouldn't surprise me, and it doesn't mean Sony is doomed. Microsoft lost $1.5 billion launching the 360, which had fewer features than the PS3 and thus cost less to manufacture, so minus $2 billion is pretty much where Sony ought to be. It's not a problem for Sony. Their game division's loss is BluRay/Bravia's gain. They make their money elsewhere; they were pursuing an integrated media strategy from the beginning.