By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kojima: " Natal will start a Revolution "

JaggedSac said:
binary solo said:
" Kojima said that he wants to do stuff that incorporates all aspects of the Natal -- the camera, the voice, the motion control. He especially loves the face recognition possibilities. he said he would like to make a game kind of like AI "
All of these things mentioned are common to PSEye and Natal.
Natal has superior spatial recognition and works in low lighting. It comes with it's own processor so won't be a drain on the 360's CPU. Is there anything else I've forgotten? Does it have superior gesture recognition?
It will be interesting to see whether the things Natal has that PSEye doesn't have will have any practical gaming effect. Only time will tell.

Well, the superior spatial recognition is the main reason Natal exists.  You can only do so much motion detection with an RGB sensor by itself.  Not my words, but the words of a Sony Engineer.  That is why the wands were invented.  The known shape of the glowing orb helps the camera to detect how far away they are.  But this only accurately detects the balls, the of the body must be estimated.  Natal needs no estimations to determine depth.  And the processor on board Natal is a pretty big deal as well.  That and the fact that one Natal can handle four players without any additional accessories.

And yes, facial, voice, and gesture(which heavily utilizes spatial recognition) are all software based.

The question is does gaming need the extra precision for body motion if you have the controller in hand? Gross gestures should still be fairly recognise (e.g. grabbing things). Natal should be able to detect forward and backward motion of a hand with milimeter precision, PSEye will probably only be capable of that with the wand, but for hands/body it may only be precise to 3-5 cm, and of course the 3D-ness will only be detectable when there is motion, so the PSEye can't place the furniture in the room into a proper 3D context. I still wonder if that sort of difference will be significant in the end.

Also the entire wand has a known shape and size, so there is no need for the lollipop to be a huge knob in order for accurate tracking of the wand in 3D to be achieved. But I do think Sony missed out, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make the PSEye a binocular unit with little added expense. Though it's the processing grunt that is required, and whether Teh C3ll can handle that on top of all the other processing needed for a decent HD game with motion controls. I expect to see a binocular PSEye with the PS4 if camera based motion control gaming really takes off; I still have my doubts about it's success.

And I wish people would stop with the Kojima was paid of crap. Like a supermodel Kojima probably doesn't get out of bed to promote anything for less than $10,000, but that doesn't mean he's going to say things that he believes to be bogus. I'm sure he has genuine anticipation for Natal and the possibilities it brings for game development. The PR folk might have had some discussions with him about what he was going to say, but that's normal and not in any way justification to criticise as corrupt. And let's face it, accusing Kojima of saying things only because he was paid by MS is accusing him of being corrupt, and that's a big thing to lay down without some serious evidence. It's a world of difference between being paid for exclusivity (or paying for a game to move multiplat) and being paid to say things that they don't necessarily agree with.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
JaggedSac said:
binary solo said:
" Kojima said that he wants to do stuff that incorporates all aspects of the Natal -- the camera, the voice, the motion control. He especially loves the face recognition possibilities. he said he would like to make a game kind of like AI "
All of these things mentioned are common to PSEye and Natal.
Natal has superior spatial recognition and works in low lighting. It comes with it's own processor so won't be a drain on the 360's CPU. Is there anything else I've forgotten? Does it have superior gesture recognition?
It will be interesting to see whether the things Natal has that PSEye doesn't have will have any practical gaming effect. Only time will tell.

Well, the superior spatial recognition is the main reason Natal exists.  You can only do so much motion detection with an RGB sensor by itself.  Not my words, but the words of a Sony Engineer.  That is why the wands were invented.  The known shape of the glowing orb helps the camera to detect how far away they are.  But this only accurately detects the balls, the of the body must be estimated.  Natal needs no estimations to determine depth.  And the processor on board Natal is a pretty big deal as well.  That and the fact that one Natal can handle four players without any additional accessories.

And yes, facial, voice, and gesture(which heavily utilizes spatial recognition) are all software based.

The question is does gaming need the extra precision for body motion if you have the controller in hand? Gross gestures should still be fairly recognise (e.g. grabbing things). Natal should be able to detect forward and backward motion of a hand with milimeter precision, PSEye will probably only be capable of that with the wand, but for hands/body it may only be precise to 3-5 cm, and of course the 3D-ness will only be detectable when there is motion, so the PSEye can't place the furniture in the room into a proper 3D context. I still wonder if that sort of difference will be significant in the end.

Also the entire wand has a known shape and size, so there is no need for the lollipop to be a huge knob in order for accurate tracking of the wand in 3D to be achieved. But I do think Sony missed out, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to make the PSEye a binocular unit with little added expense. Though it's the processing grunt that is required, and whether Teh C3ll can handle that on top of all the other processing needed for a decent HD game with motion controls. I expect to see a binocular PSEye with the PS4 if camera based motion control gaming really takes off; I still have my doubts about it's success.

And I wish people would stop with the Kojima was paid of crap. Like a supermodel Kojima probably doesn't get out of bed to promote anything for less than $10,000, but that doesn't mean he's going to say things that he believes to be bogus. I'm sure he has genuine anticipation for Natal and the possibilities it brings for game development. The PR folk might have had some discussions with him about what he was going to say, but that's normal and not in any way justification to criticise as corrupt. And let's face it, accusing Kojima of saying things only because he was paid by MS is accusing him of being corrupt, and that's a big thing to lay down without some serious evidence. It's a world of difference between being paid for exclusivity (or paying for a game to move multiplat) and being paid to say things that they don't necessarily agree with.

Just so we're clear, I didn't imply he's corrupt. I admit I chose the wrong words, but I meant what you said in the blue.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

binary solo said:

a) Natal should be able to detect forward and backward motion of a hand with milimeter precision

b) Also the entire wand has a known shape and size, so there is no need for the lollipop to be a huge knob in order for accurate tracking of the wand in 3D to be achieved.

a)  Try to understand how a TOF camera works to see why this is impossible (for a commercial device, at least).

b) The minimal size of the "lollipop" is given by the space you want to cover and the resolution of the (RGB)camera which ultimately gives the Z resolution you can achieve (XY is obviously less of a problem). You just have to believe that Sony's engineers didn't chose the size for fun and entertainment.

...aaaaaaand there went the last of my respect for Kojima. Not that much was left after the Twilight incident.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

i got warned for my post a few pages back :((

Around the Network

Natal isn't going to start a 'revolution'. Its just going to give an excuse to those people (ie kids and elitists) who have been bashing the Wii and its Motion controls and excuse to buy games with motion controls now. Because their 'edgy HD' system has 'outdone' the Wii.

Come next gen, all the systems will have their own motion control options. And by then, Natal will probably be considered an XBOX standard and either be forgotten or expected to be used with every game, like the Wii. So MS is kind of shooting themselves in the foot trying to put so much into the Natal and possibly will alienate their core market.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

What have the analysts like pachter said about Natal, if anything? IF anybody has any links about statements made, put em up.

Millennium said:
...aaaaaaand there went the last of my respect for Kojima. Not that much was left after the Twilight incident.

Yeah god forbid he say something nice about a console you don't own.

PS360 FTW!

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
Natal isn't going to start a 'revolution'. Its just going to give an excuse to those people (ie kids and elitists) who have been bashing the Wii and its Motion controls and excuse to buy games with motion controls now. Because their 'edgy HD' system has 'outdone' the Wii.

Come next gen, all the systems will have their own motion control options. And by then, Natal will probably be considered an XBOX standard and either be forgotten or expected to be used with every game, like the Wii. So MS is kind of shooting themselves in the foot trying to put so much into the Natal and possibly will alienate their core market.

Actually Natal seems a lot more ambitious than what Nintendo did with motion control, at the end of the day it all depends on the games. That will be what makes or breaks Natal.

PS360 FTW!

cool i really hope there is some quality games from many prominent publishers for when Natal actually releases.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!