By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - inFamous vs Prototype all over again ! This time its God of War III vs rest

You also forgot about NNN2, Castlevania, and Metal Gear: Raiden(Or whatever it is called)

those games will be great also :)

Around the Network
dsister44 said:
You also forgot about NNN2, Castlevania, and Metal Gear: Raiden(Or whatever it is called)

those games will be great also :)

I'm thinking Castlevania will be great, thanks to Patrick Stewart and Kojima.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think that Prototype was as good as Infamous and I've played both games. I also am excited about Dante's Inferno, and I'm not that hyped about God of War III.

I don't really like God of War. The game is really all about spectacle, and not about gameplay. If you stripped the story, production values, and Kratos from God of War, you would have a very mediocre hack and slash, with tons of block puzzles, and very shallow gameplay.

You can call Dante's Inferno a ripoff of God of War, just like you can call God of War a ripoff of Devil May Cry. It copied that games formula right down to the color of the experience orbs, and if DMC was never developed, God of War would be a completely different game. Even if you think that God of War changed enough things to make it a bad comparison, it is still in the subgenre that DMC created, and "having a better story" is like saying a toaster with a clock is a new invention and comparing it to the original toaster is a bad comparison.

Truth is, most games are "ripoffs" of better games. Like Dead Space is a ripoff of RE4. It took the basic premise and expanded on it a little, but it is certainly a ripoff.

As for God of War obviously being better than Dante's Inferno, I'd change "obviously" to "probably" and I'd add that the new Castlevania will "probably" be better than both of them, but you can use the word "obviously" if you need to.

God of War lacks depth in its gameplay, but makes up for it with overall production values, and thus isn't easily comparable to Bayonetta or DMC, in the OP's opinion, so I won't comment on those games here.

Great post.

Thanks, sir, I have always felt that way about God of War, and most God of War fans believe it as well. They just prefer the "coolness" of the games story, production, and main character, to the in depth gameplay which is the main draw of most other hack and slash games. Thus, some people might love GoW and hate Ninja Gaiden, and call it "too hard" or just not care enough to delve into the battle system, or even beat it, and just not care for what the game requires from them. They prefer a theatrical experience to a gameplay based one.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I consider GOW and Dante's Inferno Western slashers vs. Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden as Japanese slashers.

Devil May Cry is somewhat in between, but leaning to the Japanese side.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Slimebeast said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think that Prototype was as good as Infamous and I've played both games. I also am excited about Dante's Inferno, and I'm not that hyped about God of War III.

I don't really like God of War. The game is really all about spectacle, and not about gameplay. If you stripped the story, production values, and Kratos from God of War, you would have a very mediocre hack and slash, with tons of block puzzles, and very shallow gameplay.

You can call Dante's Inferno a ripoff of God of War, just like you can call God of War a ripoff of Devil May Cry. It copied that games formula right down to the color of the experience orbs, and if DMC was never developed, God of War would be a completely different game. Even if you think that God of War changed enough things to make it a bad comparison, it is still in the subgenre that DMC created, and "having a better story" is like saying a toaster with a clock is a new invention and comparing it to the original toaster is a bad comparison.

Truth is, most games are "ripoffs" of better games. Like Dead Space is a ripoff of RE4. It took the basic premise and expanded on it a little, but it is certainly a ripoff.

As for God of War obviously being better than Dante's Inferno, I'd change "obviously" to "probably" and I'd add that the new Castlevania will "probably" be better than both of them, but you can use the word "obviously" if you need to.

God of War lacks depth in its gameplay, but makes up for it with overall production values, and thus isn't easily comparable to Bayonetta or DMC, in the OP's opinion, so I won't comment on those games here.

Great post.

Thanks, sir, I have always felt that way about God of War, and most God of War fans believe it as well. They just prefer the "coolness" of the games story, production, and main character, to the in depth gameplay which is the main draw of most other hack and slash games. Thus, some people might love GoW and hate Ninja Gaiden, and call it "too hard" or just not care enough to delve into the battle system, or even beat it, and just not care for what the game requires from them. They prefer a theatrical experience to a gameplay based one.

Yes. God of War has this extreme coolness factor. It's by far it's biggest selling point.

There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it's good that someone puts light on that fact from time to time.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kantor said:
Cypher1980 said:
I agree about Infamous. I always thought it looked the better game. However Prototype was pretty good too so I dont think its fair to totally dismiss it.

What I would say is that once you have played one there is little point playing the other as they are ultimately very similar games.

As for Dantes Inferno. Yup its a God Of War a like. However to claim it rips God of war Off is a little hippocritical IMHO

GOW is essentially a nicely rendered single player gauntlet in 3d with a better stroryline.
Every FPS is essentially Doom with a proper 3d engine.
Every platformer owes Donkey Kong a nod of respect
Every God game should tip its cap to Populous

All games build on past success

Anyhoo as blatant rips offs go I think Dantes Inferno looks pretty good.

Yes, but most of them have the decency to wait until the original is dead before shamelessly ripping it off.

No they don't, and they shouldn't. Should EA have never developed Dead Space, or Epic Gears until Resident Evil was dead, should God of War have never been created until DMC was dead, and should Bayonetta have never been created until DMC was dead. Should platformers have waiting until Mario died, should Okami have waited until Zelda is dead? Should Call of Duty have waited until Doom was dead? Should the original creator of a formula have specific rights to it, and should we never be able to expand on older games.

Many, MANY games are ripoffs and some are very close ripoffs, but they are still good games, and people should create them because people want to buy them. They make gaming better, and if they had to wait, and if no one copied, then gaming would suck much more than it does now. You say that "most hae the decency to wait" and I say that no game has EVER waited for another game to die before ripping it off. EVER, ever. That has never happened and it never will. "Respect" for the previous game just doesn't weigh into the decision.

Dead Space and Gears are not ripoffs of RE4. The third person shooter has existed for a LONG time. God of War is, similarly, not a ripoff of Devil May Cry. Bayonetta could be considered a ripoff of DMC, but I would say it changes enough to justify its existence.

You don't copy the premise of a game, and the way it goes about doing EVERYTHING, when the original is still alive, not for the sake of decency, perhaps, but intelligence: a ripoff isn't going to sell as well as the original (this strictly applies to rip-offs, so please don't bring Gears into this)

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Okay so everyone go preorder bayonetta , god of war 3 and dante inferno
and enjoy the awesome hack and slash genre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Kantor said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kantor said:
Cypher1980 said:
I agree about Infamous. I always thought it looked the better game. However Prototype was pretty good too so I dont think its fair to totally dismiss it.

What I would say is that once you have played one there is little point playing the other as they are ultimately very similar games.

As for Dantes Inferno. Yup its a God Of War a like. However to claim it rips God of war Off is a little hippocritical IMHO

GOW is essentially a nicely rendered single player gauntlet in 3d with a better stroryline.
Every FPS is essentially Doom with a proper 3d engine.
Every platformer owes Donkey Kong a nod of respect
Every God game should tip its cap to Populous

All games build on past success

Anyhoo as blatant rips offs go I think Dantes Inferno looks pretty good.

Yes, but most of them have the decency to wait until the original is dead before shamelessly ripping it off.

No they don't, and they shouldn't. Should EA have never developed Dead Space, or Epic Gears until Resident Evil was dead, should God of War have never been created until DMC was dead, and should Bayonetta have never been created until DMC was dead. Should platformers have waiting until Mario died, should Okami have waited until Zelda is dead? Should Call of Duty have waited until Doom was dead? Should the original creator of a formula have specific rights to it, and should we never be able to expand on older games.

Many, MANY games are ripoffs and some are very close ripoffs, but they are still good games, and people should create them because people want to buy them. They make gaming better, and if they had to wait, and if no one copied, then gaming would suck much more than it does now. You say that "most hae the decency to wait" and I say that no game has EVER waited for another game to die before ripping it off. EVER, ever. That has never happened and it never will. "Respect" for the previous game just doesn't weigh into the decision.

Dead Space and Gears are not ripoffs of RE4. The third person shooter has existed for a LONG time. God of War is, similarly, not a ripoff of Devil May Cry. Bayonetta could be considered a ripoff of DMC, but I would say it changes enough to justify its existence.

You don't copy the premise of a game, and the way it goes about doing EVERYTHING, when the original is still alive, not for the sake of decency, perhaps, but intelligence: a ripoff isn't going to sell as well as the original (this strictly applies to rip-offs, so please don't bring Gears into this)

What, Dead Space is not a ripoff of RE4?

Are you talking about story or gameplay?

Also, RE4 isn't just a 3rd person shooter. It came up with its own take on the 3rd person shooter genre, with several gaming staples put together to combine into an interesting and original formula. Dead Space used that same formula. It's like the windshield wiper. The guy who invented the Windshield wiper didn't invent rubber, or metal, but he put them together in such a way that it created a new formula. The guy who invented the 2 bladed windshield wiper, used that same formula and just added something. That is the same thing as Dead Space. Dead Space is the 2 bladed windshield wiper to Resident Evil 4's original Windshield Wiper. Resident Evil 4 created the formula. Dead Space changed or improved it slightly, but it's the same formula.

To say that developers wait until the original is dead to rip them off is simplistic. It never happens, it never has, and it never will. As gamers, we are richer for it, and you should thank your lucky starts that people DON'T wait, because if they did, God of War wouldn't exist.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

locking.. flamebait OP.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

Dante's Inferno will NOT compare to God of war 3, people can lie to them selves all they want, not going to happen. I have played the demo, its unreal. Sorry to rain an anybodies day but if you think differently play God of war 3 when it comes out before saying much, that way your not eating your words. Infamous was also soooo much better then prototype its not even funny, I own both still play Infamous , traded in prototype ounce i beat it.