By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

^Its not bad sales, but there are millions more who preferred NSMB Wii, so if opinions are equal, then NSMB Wii is more deserving

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Its not bad sales, but there are millions more who preferred NSMB Wii, so if opinions are equal, then NSMB Wii is more deserving

then i guess there is no point in arguing, obviously, sales are clouding your mind, o welll, no point in wasting my time....

^No clouding, but you can't ignore sales, and sales on a game that will be selling well for years

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

simply no...though it's nice and and fun, NSMBWii, but I doubt it can be a real contender with games like Uncharted 2, Batman: AA, or MW2. Though this game will probably have a longer life than the games I listed above it's just that the game will be remember as mostly a "family/casual game" and usually when a game is tagged with that title it doesn't really have a chance a GOTY.

cAPSLOCK said:
Only problem is it IS a limited artform. Video games are an artform limited by purpose (the purpose being to PLAY the game). Every art form is limited by purpose, my copy of the movie "Bringing Out the Dead" has yet to pop out of the DVD player and give me a handjob.

I mean compare MGS4 to a movie with the same overall rating. Can you honestly say the storytelling is even in the same league? On the same planet? I sat down and watched a good chunk of the game and even a guy who is a huge MGS fan (the guy playing) laughed through 99% of it. "NO! MARRY ME!"

Video game writing is a horrible joke. I mean it is not just bad but it is so godawful horrible that skipping cinematics is the common practice among gamers.

There's a reason that video game stories suck. Stories are a passive artform.

Cutscenes if anything detract from a game.

A game is meant to be played, right? Why is there a part of the game where control is taken away from you and the direction of the story is ripped from your hands? How many cutscenes have you seen where the dude you've been controlling for the last 3 hours did something stupid you'd never do in a million years?

The best story telling in games in my experience hasn't been in what was told, but rather what wasn't told.  A great example is Bioshock. The fate of Rapture is largely left to the imagination. You see point A (the welcome to Rapture video on the way down) and point B (Rapture in present game time) but what lies in between is largely left to the imagination.

Another game that revolutionized story telling in games is Half Life 1. Control is never taken away from you (minus being carried off, but you can still look around).  Think about how much of that game is told to you in story, and how much is conveyed visually, or through "I heard X" "There's rumors of Y" or through gameplay.

When you bring up musicals, keep in mind that musicals almost universally have dancing going on at the same time (Paint your Wagon being the only acception I can think of) but even when dancing isn't going on the song is being conveyed visually. Imagine if every time a song started up in a musical the screen went black and the song just rolled and then the movie continued again after. That's basically what a cutscene is to a game, a blackout.

I would rather the setting (which I am moving around in) be the story, let the action (which I'm a part of) be the story, let the gameplay (which I control) be the story.  The cutscene rips you out of the setting, out of the action, and takes control away from you.

I think that your point about musicals versus games with cutscenes is way off base.  Some games, like Mario, do just fine with hardly any cutscenes at all.  But others use them heavily to enhance the game experience.  And that's what it's about in my opinion:  enhancing the game experience.  It's okay for Mario to be given a simple goal like "princess kidnapped, go save her (by running a giant gauntlet of nearly nonsensical obstacles)."  But Nathan Drake's goals need a little bit more structure and narrative.  

That's what cutscenes are supposed to do, I think -- deliver that narrative and structure when it can't be delivered during pure gameplay.  Lots of cutscenes have things going on that would be hard to show the gamer in gameplay, or have an action sequence that would be too hard or boring to fit into the game and make people play through, etc.  It enhances the game experience by bridging the gap between playable areas and giving the player a sensible narrative connecting them and keeping him interested in the character's exploits.  

If you want to come back with, "Well, they shouldn't try to tell a story that they can't deliver in pure gameplay", you have a right to that opinion.  But I think that that's unfairly restrictive.  

And this also, I think, accounts for a lot of the 'lower standards' you see in game storytelling -- it's not the focus in many cases, just a support.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
Kantor said:
RolStoppable said:
Kantor said:
morenoingrato said:
I'm tired of this Uncharted 2 fight, 3 will come, people will still be playing Mario Wii, U2 will hide behind 3, A classic massive Nintendo game will arrive, and this debate will start over, Nintendo fans, get over it, this longlasting masterpiece won't have a chance with U2, but let's see who will be remembered more, ask Famitsu, what was their U2 review... 37?... Mario 40?

If Nintendo made a new 2D Mario on Wii, you can be sure that people would stop playing NSMBWii.

You tend to stop playing the original if a good sequel releases... if you would rather play the original than the sequel, it's a bad sequel.

Okay, then go ahead and explain the SMB3 vs. SMW situation. Many gamers kept playing both for years and some still do, because why wouldn't they?

Alright, I'll rephrase.

When given the choice between playing a game, and a highly improved version of said game, with the same formula, you'll want to play the sequel. When a new entry in the franchise launches, with a few exceptions, the majority of the attention will turn to this new iteration. People will still play the old game, of course, but not as often as they used to. And then, in later generations, people will play both. Perhaps equally.

In that sense, people will be playing both Uncharted 2 and NSMBWii in the years to come. And you could claim to the contrary, but you have no evidence to back it up, because you can't see the future. You have no idea how much lasting appeal a game will have until a few years after it launches, so unless you want to give out the 2009 GoTY awards in 2012, the current system of judging a game based on how good it is now works.

There are many games like Uncharted 2 (not of the same quality, of course, but in the same genre, style, appeal)? If you're close minded, you can put in all shooters in. Now, how many games there are like NSMBWii? Right, being one of a kind, or fresh and new actually matters in staying power.

That's why Mario stayed while other platformers faded, while Final Fantasy light up the charts and Tales do not, etc, etc

And there aren't many games like NSMBWii?

NSMB DS for one, and SMB 1, 2 and 3, all the Super Mario Worlds, LBP...

When you look that broadly, no game is unique, except perhaps Flower. 

Uncharted 2 is pretty much as different from other games in its genre as NSMBWii is.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

lol, here we go with sales again.

Alright then. Modern Warfare 2 for GOTY! Unless Mario sells another 14 million in the next 5 weeks.

Kantor said:
routsounmanman said:
Kantor said:
RolStoppable said:
Kantor said:
morenoingrato said:
I'm tired of this Uncharted 2 fight, 3 will come, people will still be playing Mario Wii, U2 will hide behind 3, A classic massive Nintendo game will arrive, and this debate will start over, Nintendo fans, get over it, this longlasting masterpiece won't have a chance with U2, but let's see who will be remembered more, ask Famitsu, what was their U2 review... 37?... Mario 40?

If Nintendo made a new 2D Mario on Wii, you can be sure that people would stop playing NSMBWii.

You tend to stop playing the original if a good sequel releases... if you would rather play the original than the sequel, it's a bad sequel.

Okay, then go ahead and explain the SMB3 vs. SMW situation. Many gamers kept playing both for years and some still do, because why wouldn't they?

Alright, I'll rephrase.

When given the choice between playing a game, and a highly improved version of said game, with the same formula, you'll want to play the sequel. When a new entry in the franchise launches, with a few exceptions, the majority of the attention will turn to this new iteration. People will still play the old game, of course, but not as often as they used to. And then, in later generations, people will play both. Perhaps equally.

In that sense, people will be playing both Uncharted 2 and NSMBWii in the years to come. And you could claim to the contrary, but you have no evidence to back it up, because you can't see the future. You have no idea how much lasting appeal a game will have until a few years after it launches, so unless you want to give out the 2009 GoTY awards in 2012, the current system of judging a game based on how good it is now works.

There are many games like Uncharted 2 (not of the same quality, of course, but in the same genre, style, appeal)? If you're close minded, you can put in all shooters in. Now, how many games there are like NSMBWii? Right, being one of a kind, or fresh and new actually matters in staying power.

That's why Mario stayed while other platformers faded, while Final Fantasy light up the charts and Tales do not, etc, etc

And there aren't many games like NSMBWii?

NSMB DS for one, and SMB 1, 2 and 3, all the Super Mario Worlds, LBP...

When you look that broadly, no game is unique, except perhaps Flower. 

Uncharted 2 is pretty much as different from other games in its genre as NSMBWii is.

just dont try to argue with them, honestly its a waste of time =/

--OkeyDokey-- said:
lol, here we go with sales again.

Alright then. Modern Warfare 2 for GOTY! Unless Mario sells another 14 million in the next 5 weeks.

I think people were arguing that the legs on games meant people enjoy the game (word of mouth). For example, Nintendo games, or CoD4. Modern Warfare 2 was bought by tons of people before anybody really even played the game.

Of course, I don't really think even long term sales (assuming we knew them) entirely correlate to what should be GotY.

Anyway, too often I've seen stuff in this thread like, "The game needs better graphics, story, cinematics to win!" Or, "It needs to push innovation, NSMBWii doesn't even have online!"

All of this is meaningless. Hell, I'd say staying power is more important than all the above, yet nobody pays attention to it (see: Multiplayer games). What truly matters is the overall experience, and I'd say NSMB Wii delivers. Whether it's better or worse than the other games released this year is another story.

Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

The game doesn't have online!!

Ha!...

Regarding your consoles, you're supposed to defend Mario!

The smile says I was sarcastic!

I always support Nintendo, the online problem is something all reviewers said but for me NSMBW it's GOTY anyway.

Like Phoenix I always trust my customers.

I was too. I just could not resist to raise an objection when I saw yours.

I agree it is goty

ps:That was funny.