By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

i'm getting it for christmass from my GF.... so it's sitting quietly in a closet for now :/

Still I do trust rol's tastes in games... and i'm scaresely disapointed by nintendo games anyways.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:

I think that your point about musicals versus games with cutscenes is way off base.  Some games, like Mario, do just fine with hardly any cutscenes at all.  But others use them heavily to enhance the game experience.  And that's what it's about in my opinion:  enhancing the game experience.  It's okay for Mario to be given a simple goal like "princess kidnapped, go save her (by running a giant gauntlet of nearly nonsensical obstacles)."  But Nathan Drake's goals need a little bit more structure and narrative.  

That's what cutscenes are supposed to do, I think -- deliver that narrative and structure when it can't be delivered during pure gameplay.  Lots of cutscenes have things going on that would be hard to show the gamer in gameplay, or have an action sequence that would be too hard or boring to fit into the game and make people play through, etc.  It enhances the game experience by bridging the gap between playable areas and giving the player a sensible narrative connecting them and keeping him interested in the character's exploits.  

If you want to come back with, "Well, they shouldn't try to tell a story that they can't deliver in pure gameplay", you have a right to that opinion.  But I think that that's unfairly restrictive.  

And this also, I think, accounts for a lot of the 'lower standards' you see in game storytelling -- it's not the focus in many cases, just a support.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. Somehow, I missed that post last night.

But I do agree on the ""Well, they shouldn't try to tell a story that they can't deliver in pure gameplay" argument to a certain extent. Some of my best gaming experiences, like playing Shadow of the Colossus, done almost entirely like how he mentioned.

However, as both you and I have already said, that's being far too restrictive. There are many games that tell a great story through other means.

Final-Fan said:

GIANT WALL OF TEXT BY ME

I think that your point about musicals versus games with cutscenes is way off base.  Some games, like Mario, do just fine with hardly any cutscenes at all.  But others use them heavily to enhance the game experience.  And that's what it's about in my opinion:  enhancing the game experience.  It's okay for Mario to be given a simple goal like "princess kidnapped, go save her (by running a giant gauntlet of nearly nonsensical obstacles)."  But Nathan Drake's goals need a little bit more structure and narrative.  

That's what cutscenes are supposed to do, I think -- deliver that narrative and structure when it can't be delivered during pure gameplay.  Lots of cutscenes have things going on that would be hard to show the gamer in gameplay, or have an action sequence that would be too hard or boring to fit into the game and make people play through, etc.  It enhances the game experience by bridging the gap between playable areas and giving the player a sensible narrative connecting them and keeping him interested in the character's exploits.  

If you want to come back with, "Well, they shouldn't try to tell a story that they can't deliver in pure gameplay", you have a right to that opinion.  But I think that that's unfairly restrictive.  

And this also, I think, accounts for a lot of the 'lower standards' you see in game storytelling -- it's not the focus in many cases, just a support.  

I definitely see what you mean, but do you think there are better or different ways to give those goals structure and narrative? (I haven't played UC2 yet, but the first one damn near made me buy a PS3 after I played a little of it).

I wouldn't want to see stories only told in pure gameplay as some kind of rule handed down to all game makers, but I would like to see that challenge presented to game makers (How much can you tell without going to a cutscene?) Lower standards and it not being the focus is exactly why things like cutscenes detract from a game. 

Again think back to something like BioShock or System Shock 2 or Half-Life.  Those games had nothing or next to nothing in terms of cutscenes, but you knew what was going on, and your imagination filled in a lot of details that weren't there. What made the gman in Half-Life 1 so memorable was his mystery.  What makes the "golf club" scene in BioShock so great is how every point prior to that you had full control of your character so losing that control as a "cut scene" had a huge impact on (at least my) perception of the game.  What made System Shock 2 so scary and threatening was that the ship was all the story you needed. Same with the PC version of Aliens vs Predator 1 (Marine missions). No cutscene necessary. Actually the 2nd one was ruined by cutscenes and too much story.

Or, if you are old enough ...how much more awesome was Hyrule in your mind as a kid before Nintendo detroyed it with piles of (bad) dialogue and story? The thing I loved about the opening to Windwaker was how awesome it is if you just remove the words. Let the tapestries tell the story.

I've been playing games a loooooooong time and very, very few have a story I remember, but the ones that I do remember were stories created with the full knowledge that they were games, and their strengths were not in what was told as a cutscene, but what was shown to the player in atmosphere, suggestion, passing or direct dialogue. 

Why play to the weakest element of a game instead of using the medium's natural strengths?

c0rd said:
d21lewis said:

I played it with 3 players.  At first, it was fun.....then things got ugly.  People were taking power ups, even when they were already powered up.  I'd go for a tricky jump, only to lose momentum because I'd bump into the person in front of me.  I'd fall into a pit, and attempt to wall jump my way out.....then, somebody would jump on my head and kill me.  I'd get blindsided by a turtle shell, thrown by one of my friends.  I'd press "A" to avoid dying.  Then, somebody else would press "A", too (thus killing us both!).  And the greatest sin of all?  When I was picked up by somebody else and tossed to my death.

I love the game, but that had to be the most frustrating day of my video game life!

But... but that is the fun! Complete chaos!

Maybe it's the people I've played with, since we kinda enjoy yelling at each other...

Even without the multiplayer, though, I think the game is among Mario's best. I'm surprised people can prefer NSMB DS to this, I found that game to be kind of mediocre.

Agreed 100%.  I was reading through his post and trying to find the negative lol.  Playing alone is incredibly fun, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.  Multiplayer is where it shines!  A calm evening can transform into a chaotic uproar just by popping this game into a Wii.  I didn't imagine at the start of the year that I'd be yelling at my mother for stealing my Yoshi when he ran away!  Eating people and spitting them into a piranha plant, taking all the power ups, jumping on people's heads and making them fall down a pit, how can you not have fun?  All this plus excellent controls and well-designed levels.  It's definitely my GOTY.  

Lmao@ 3) The main character doesn't have an ass that would turn a straight guy gay.

Lol@ "the story isn't deep so it can't be GOTY".  What Mario story has ever won literary awards?

@the person who said up is left and down is right (or something like that) are you sure you were holding the controller properly?  It sounds to me like you were holding it vertically... 

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

RolStoppable said:

To make things clear right from the start, this isn't just about the Wii, it's about all gaming systems, so overall Game Of The Year. That's why this thread is in Gaming Discussion and not Nintendo Discussion.

Some people might have noticed that I didn't log in for almost two weeks, that's because I got NSMB Wii. I guess my absence due to this game makes even the biggest distractors of NSMB Wii thankful that Nintendo made this platformer, even if it is only for a brief time. Obviously I played NSMB Wii a lot during the past two weeks, so I can judge the game quite fairly now. So is it worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

No, because it has three major flaws.

1) It is made by Nintendo.
2) It doesn't have any guns.
3) The main character doesn't have an ass that would turn a straight guy gay.

But in all seriousness, what has New Super Mario Bros. Wii going for it?

Perfect controls, jumping mechanics that make it a joy to play, lots of levels with unique ideas, tons of secrets and only a few new, but useful power-ups. The penguin suit helps you in so many ways that it isn't funny (well, actually it is) and the propeller hat let's you fly, but only in a limited way. That's actually better than the flying in SMB3 and SMW where you could skip entire stages just by flying over them and the lack of star coins meant that it didn't even feel like you missed anything. 

The level design uses just about anything from previous Mario games, including air ships, and throws in new ideas. It just never gets boring or starts to feel stale through the entire game, it just never ceases to amaze the player. And afterwards you want to play it again, maybe with a friend. Or two, or three. The number of players changes the way how the game is played drastically and you'll get a new experience each time, depending on who you play with. The replay value of NSMB Wii seems to be unlimited.

But does this make it worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

No.

This game is so gigantic that just calling it the best game of the year is an insult. NSMB Wii is so much bigger, so much better and so much more badass than anything before it, that the title Game Of The Year is not worthy of NSMB Wii. We need something more special, like Game Of The Decade or Game Of The Forever to honor this master piece accordingly.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii really is all that.

are you sure?, because it's an italian with tight jeans. i heard many nintendo guys saying they love him.

Around the Network
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

The game doesn't have online!!

Ha!...

Regarding your consoles, you're supposed to defend Mario!

The smile says I was sarcastic!

I always support Nintendo, the online problem is something all reviewers said but for me NSMBW it's GOTY anyway.

Like Phoenix I always trust my customers.

I was too. I just could not resist to raise an objection when I saw yours.

I agree it is goty

ps:That was funny.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3460843

noname2200 said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

The game doesn't have online!!

Ha!...

Regarding your consoles, you're supposed to defend Mario!

The smile says I was sarcastic!

I always support Nintendo, the online problem is something all reviewers said but for me NSMBW it's GOTY anyway.

Like Phoenix I always trust my customers.

I was too. I just could not resist to raise an objection when I saw yours.

I agree it is goty

ps:That was funny.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=3460843

Great reply!!