By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

radiantshadow92 said:
phenom08 said:
how about since we are not the general public game of the year goes to the highest selling game, not what we think is the best

or we can go with metacritic score ^_^

if the metacritic score was given by the general public that would be fine, but its not so sales are the only way we can judge who wins, its how we settle everything else

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
@radiantshadow That's not a reason though, I gave reasons for NSMB Wii, like it is more engaging, more fun, more accessible, better gameplay and will sell better and will sell longer, indicating more people will prefer and enjoy it.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?post=2889468&page=1&postnum=11

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

5.just because it sells longer doesnt mean its a better game >_>, popularity does not decide a better game

-----------

you need to realize that nintendo played it safe with this game, this game did not revolutionize anything, theres no online, theres no story, no graphical bumbs, those are the factors that goty needs to have

pearljammer said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Problem with that as I pointed out, is no one has played every game ever, but people can tell that some games aren't going to be fun or good, I don't need to play Uncharted to know that I won't find it fun or engaging, seeing someone else playing it was enough for me to decide.

Secondly, I don't view gaming as art, I view it as entertainment pure and simple, trying to turn it into art is a pretension I don't care for.

A game can have other factors, but they shouldn't detract from the game, this is what happens in most cinematic games these features just pull one away, why do you think most people get bored with cutscenes and excessive dialogue in games.

Movies are a different medium than games, people try to compare and converge them, but I think that's a bad idea, the whole way a person relates to a movie vs a game is completely different, you don't control things in a movie like you do in games.
  • If you think it is an unfounded claim, explain. I mean, the act of entertaining in itself, can be considered an artform, much like cinema, music and theatre. What makes it different to the arts? I don't think that's pretentious at all.
  • Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, even if I were to accept the above as true, what detracts you from the game may engage the gamer next to you. And most people get bored with cutscenes? Perhaps you're right. However, do you have any empirical evidence saying that it does in 'most' cases? Otherwise, why even mention it?
  • They are a different medium, obviously. And I agree, they shouldn't be compared, at least in terms of how we participate in the experience and its respective quality. However, I wasn't comparing the two. I was simply noting what your expectations were for gaming and drawing the logical conclusion from that to cinema. Because a game is what it is, it should play to its strengths and rarely borrow any other elements as to avoid detraction of its strength... correct? Surely if you think a medium should play to its own strengths as to avoid detractions, shouldn't cinema solely focus on the visual as to avoid detractions from its strength? I would say that's foolishness. As I'm sure you would, as it greatly benefits from borrowing from several artforms like: music, storytelling, photography, writing, drawing (for a lack of a better term), etc. Gaming is actually much similar with the added benefit of interaction. I think all of those different artforms are assets to gaming and why I consider it my favourite artform.
  • To put it more simply: just because a game is interactive and can potentially allow you full control, doesn't mean that it can't benefit from atmosphere, mood or direction. How else can you explain how people think games like Monkey Island are great?

"A game can have other factors, but they shouldn't detract from the game" Which is fairly obvious, I mean you wouldn't have a film that's so obnoxiously filled with loud music throughout the entire runtime. So I realize that you're not going so far as to say that they don't belong at all, but surely you must realize that there are, at least, a sizable population that prefer dialogue heavy (Monkey Island, Hotel Dusk, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem) which, in some cases, may not contain much gameplay at all. Then there are some who prefer games with a more balanced blend (Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto) and those who like games based almost solely on gameplay (Mario, Sonic, Guitar Hero - then again, music arguably plays a larger role here). Who are any of us to say that those who belong in any/some/all of the groups are wrong?

Edit: Ugh... I'm far too slow to respond. Some things have since been discussed and I'm far too long winded and slow at typing to keep up. I'll have to come back tomorrow.

Gaming is active, movies and music are passive, you don't control Bach and tell him how to play, nor do you tell Arnold how to kill the bad guy, gaming is a different medium, you can't just compare them.

Because people skip over cutscenes, that's how you know people are not engaged by them, they want to get back to the gaming not watch a mini-movie

Cinema isn't just visual, it is also auditory, you don;t distract from the movie to listen to the dailogue, but movies are not games, cutscenes do not enhance the experience, as they take you away from the control that is inherent in gaming .

Monkey island is great, but you don't lose control, you are in control for pretty much the entire game, you don't just watch the characters, you control where they go and what they do.

Actually those games do have gameplay, you continue to control the characters, the dialogue doesn't take you away from control, you get to choose the dailgues, you control what guybrush says

Gaming is about control, moives and music are not

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
@radiantshadow That's not a reason though, I gave reasons for NSMB Wii, like it is more engaging, more fun, more accessible, better gameplay and will sell better and will sell longer, indicating more people will prefer and enjoy it.

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

5.just because it sells longer doesnt mean its a better game >_>, popularity does not decide a better game

-----------

you need to realize that nintendo played it safe with this game, this game did not revolutionize anything, theres no online, theres no story, no graphical bumbs, those are the factors that goty needs to have

Actually popularity for a long time proves people are enjoying the game, if a game sells for years, its because word of mouth is carrying it, people won't keep buying a game that sucks.

So yeah it is a lot of fun if people are buying it 2, 3, 5, 10 years later

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

-----------

Actually popularity for a long time proves people are enjoying the game, if a game sells for years, its because word of mouth is carrying it, people won't keep buying a game that sucks.

what about brain age? lol....and nitendogs, o yeah those games def. deserve goty title for the years that they came out......ummm no....look uncharted 2 isnt my favorite game of the year, its not, but it DESERVES the title

Around the Network

@Avinash_Tyagibtw
killzone is my favorite goty, but unlike you, i realize that my favorite game of the year has flaws and could have been better, i realize that games like uncharted 2 are better games

radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

-----------

what about brain age? lol....and nitendogs, o yeah those games def. deserve goty title for the years that they came out......ummm no....look uncharted 2 isnt my favorite game of the year, its not, but it DESERVES the title

just because you didn't like those games means nothing to the millions of people who did like those games, im sorry their better than uncharted 2 which looks like a stupid gta 4 clone anyways (well atleast gta 4 actually sold) why should we have that low selling game be the best when alot of people obviously didn't like it hence its low sales

radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

-----------

Millions loved those games, why are their opinions less than yours?  Most of them wouldn't touch Uncharted 2, or get bored of it quickly, so how is Uncharted 2 more deserving

phenom08 said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

-----------

just because you didn't like those games means nothing to the millions of people who did like those games, im sorry their better than uncharted 2 which looks like a stupid gta 4 clone anyways (well atleast gta 4 actually sold) why should we have that low selling game be the best when alot of people obviously didn't like it hence its low sales

hahahahahahahaha, look okay, thats saying that wii sports is the best game ever created,  the best game should have the best graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, and a lasting appeal those games are nothing compared to uncharted, fyi uncharted is an action adventure game where you dont get to kill who ever you want, who the hell told you uncharted is like gta? just because they both have guns? cuz thats the only comparison i see in both

Avinash_Tyagi said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

There are my reasons

1.engaging yes

2.fun, depends on person

3.accessible yes

4.gameplay, probably

-----------

Millions loved those games, why are their opinions less than yours?  Most of them wouldn't touch Uncharted 2, or get bored of it quickly, so how is Uncharted 2 more deserving

thier opinions are not less than mine, but those games do not revolutinize gaming in one bit, just becuase uncharted 2 doesnt sell well doesnt mean people get bored of it quickly, i honestly cannot see you playing NSMB WII till the end of feb.....