By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
^^ It's useless to continue a debate with you. Even when you have no facts, you still see yourself as right, when 9/10, you aren't.

No, I gave you facts, you just didn't like them, so you chose to ignore them, not my problem, and most of the time I am right, like right now, just like Uncharted one will not be played or remembered as long as NSMB DS, neither will Uncharted 2 be played or remembered as long as NSMB Wii.  But you go on and think that I'm wrong, in time you'll see I'm right, because as  as Thomas Paine said, "Time makes more converts than reason".

Following your criterion Deus Ex, Planescape:Torment, Grand Prix Legends, Thief I and II and a lot others are better than NSMB W and DS, as people are still remembering and playing them, and you'll have to wait 9 to 10 years at least (provided people stop playing and remembering them right now, otherwise times get even longer) to possibly overturn this ranking.... Fine, I must agree with you.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Gintoki said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

The game doesn't have online!!

Ha!...

Regarding your consoles, you're supposed to defend Mario!

The smile says I was sarcastic!

I always support Nintendo, the online problem is something all reviewers said but for me NSMBW it's GOTY anyway.

Like Phoenix I always trust my customers.

I was too. I just could not resist to raise an objection when I saw yours.

I agree it is goty

ps:That was funny.

All games are bad for children and therefore Mario is bad and does not deserve GotY!

Oh my! Jack Thomson?????????????????????

By the way, since when are there children in court?

... you just killed the tension of this thread which i was reading...

Gintoki said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

Ha!...

I always support Nintendo, the online problem is something all reviewers said but for me NSMBW it's GOTY anyway.

I agree it is goty

All games are bad for children and therefore Mario is bad and does not deserve GotY!

They aren't which is why their innocence must be defended!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

^^^^LOL @ Phoenix Wright battle

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Boy, there was some derailment. I'll look at that, give my thoughts and try to keep it pulled back to the topic.

Gaming, like art, is a subset of entertainment. Visual entertainment is art, audial is music. Put those 2 together and you get movies. Add in interactivity, and then you get video games. (Ironically, everything with 'interactivity' seems to fall into games, it alone is something like D&D, added visuals are board and card games. But I digress.) Thus, saying a game is not art is not true. It may not look as good as the Mona Lisa, but technical limitations coupled with other entertainment forms needing to be added means that one should not require such visuals. If you can do it without sacrificing on the other parts, great!

So then there was the FMV. These, in my eyes, blur the line between movie and game. They remove the interactivity part of a game. When a game becomes reliant on these, it is no longer a game, rather, I prefer to call it an interactive movie.

Now, game of the year. To get this title, I think that several factors should be looked at. Sales are one factor, but it should not be the determining factor. I'm more apt to look at each part of the entertainment equation on its own and see how they stand up. While you have them seperated, look at the stories of each part. Then, you can put them back together and see how well they mesh up. Do the audio and video match up? Does the interaction work well? Do the individual stories come together to form a great story?

Now, looking at the games. I've not played Uncharted 2, so I can't really pass judgment on it. But I have played NSMBWii. The visuals are slightly cartoony (but this is not necessarily a bad thing), the music is upbeat, but the interactivity is way too sensitive. Bringing things together, this is by far the best union of audio and video in a Mario game. When there are enemies and items responding to beats in the song, they are together nicely. The semblence of story in Mario games has never been a strong point, but the parts do come together in agreement for what is there. So the parts are there to qualify it. But, I have to give it a no for not doing well on one of the basic aspects. I would like to more look for a game that gets high marks in all the categories. I do realize they may be in a game I've not played; it's impossible for me to play every game released in a year.

So what does deserve GOTY? I don't know, I've never been good at picking things like that. But I will say that it should be something that I can't find surface flaws in. And sorry, but I did see them in NSMBWii.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Gintoki said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

Ha!...

I agree it is goty

They aren't which is why their innocence must be defended!

My job is to prosecute them!

Good game, but not GOTY

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

SuperAdrianK said:
Gintoki said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:
Gintoki said:
Buzzi said:

Ha!...

I agree it is goty

... you just killed the tension of this thread which i was reading...

*kwek*(I can't speak!)

SaviorX said:

Haha seconded.

Now I haven't played Uncharted 2 yet, but I want to say a couple of things here.

Playing NSMBW was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in my life. It was fun, fresh, didn't feel like an old and overdone genre. To the people who have played NSMBW and weren't impressed, did you play by yourself, or with 1/2/3 friends? I think this game shines when you are playing with 3 people. It offers a gameplay experienced I haven't ever before seen. The level designs are fresh and yet nostalgic, bringing back feelings of the many many hours enjoyed playing SMB3 and SMW.

Uncharted 2, from what I've heard, is a cinematic gaming masterpiece, with a riveting story, humorous character interactions (though I can't imagine them being better than Dragon Age: Origins), and strong gameplay. I plan to play this game soon, but until then, I can't say much about it.

From what I've experienced and heard, aren't both of these games worthy of GOTY? Last I checked the thread isnt 'NSMBW is GOTY' it's 'Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year'. Not sure why the fight escalated so much, even if you love Uncharted 2 and it's easily GOTY to you, you can still concede that NSMBW is also worthy of GOTY even if you do not think it will win. The thread title is NOT about who should win GOTY.

r505Matt said:
SaviorX said:

Haha seconded.

Now I haven't played Uncharted 2 yet, but I want to say a couple of things here.

Playing NSMBW was one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in my life. It was fun, fresh, didn't feel like an old and overdone genre. To the people who have played NSMBW and weren't impressed, did you play by yourself, or with 1/2/3 friends? I think this game shines when you are playing with 3 people. It offers a gameplay experienced I haven't ever before seen. The level designs are fresh and yet nostalgic, bringing back feelings of the many many hours enjoyed playing SMB3 and SMW.

Uncharted 2, from what I've heard, is a cinematic gaming masterpiece, with a riveting story, humorous character interactions (though I can't imagine them being better than Dragon Age: Origins), and strong gameplay. I plan to play this game soon, but until then, I can't say much about it.

From what I've experienced and heard, aren't both of these games worthy of GOTY? Last I checked the thread isnt 'NSMBW is GOTY' it's 'Is NSMB Wii worthy of the title Game Of The Year'. Not sure why the fight escalated so much, even if you love Uncharted 2 and it's easily GOTY to you, you can still concede that NSMBW is also worthy of GOTY even if you do not think it will win. The thread title is NOT about who should win GOTY.

Totally agree here.