By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Hardware Numbers UP for week of Black Friday

letsdance said:
kowenicki said:
letsdance said:
kowenicki said:
@palminio

Totally agree. ONLY Ninty have pshown textbook commerciality this gen.

Sony are the worst of the three. God know how much they have spent/lost this last few weeks. Advertising through the roof and selling a loss making concole in bumper bundles to get market share.

I dont blame them, they had no choice... but its hardly textbook commercial sense.

ol. sony will make a profit this quarter.

sony? sce?  who?  do you even know what you are talking about?

and no they wont.  selling bundles of a loss making console doesnt make profit...  do the math.

But profit isnt sony's goal at the moment, it is market share.

LOL LOL LOL LOL Lets forget they profitted last year this quarter while losing a shit load more and not having the biggest entertainment launch of all times.

Are you trolling?

Around the Network
Dazkarieh said:
letsdance said:
kowenicki said:
letsdance said:
kowenicki said:
@palminio

Totally agree. ONLY Ninty have pshown textbook commerciality this gen.

Sony are the worst of the three. God know how much they have spent/lost this last few weeks. Advertising through the roof and selling a loss making concole in bumper bundles to get market share.

I dont blame them, they had no choice... but its hardly textbook commercial sense.

ol. sony will make a profit this quarter.

sony? sce?  who?  do you even know what you are talking about?

and no they wont.  selling bundles of a loss making console doesnt make profit...  do the math.

But profit isnt sony's goal at the moment, it is market share.

LOL LOL LOL LOL Lets forget they profitted last year this quarter while losing a shit load more and not having the biggest entertainment launch of all times.

Are you trolling?

LOL.. people and their short term memory loss. How is stating facts trolling?

letsdance said:

So with 30% of a consoles life you can calculate its chances of being profitable? And a company shouldn't slash prices with a redesign even if it allows them to lower costs?

A internal redesign for lower costs can be done without a relaunch with new design. Sony has reduced cost inside the PS3 many times without launching a new revision.

A new revision launch is a combat move, just like lowering price. To use both moves at the same time is risky, I would have spread them out and use the Slim launch to meet the next move from Microsoft.

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)

Kowenicki, SCE are obviously losing money but they aren't losing it on the BF bundles except the Sony Style bundle. Retailers are the ones that determine those bundles not Sony and the retailers are the ones that eat the losses. Just like how Walmart ate the losses of the $100 gift card on the Arcade.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Train wreck said:
Companies can easily manipulate their bottom lines to account for profits and losses through cost cuts, laying people off, selling assets. In the video game industry its about sales growth. Nintendo sales growth is going in the wrong direction. Investors see that, that why nintendo is trading at its low for the year and almost below its pre Wii launch price. No future growth.

That's fine about investors, but comparing a company that has been profitable continuously and in first place to a company that is losing money and in third place, well, I would clearly have more faith in the company making profit, even if the other company was seeing increased marketshare, because if the unprofitable compnay continues to lose money, it won't be around as long

Thats good that you think that way, but youll be out of business fast.  Luckly for all of us you dont run a company and with that kind of thinking, you never will.

Around the Network

^If MS gets aggressive next year with price cuts, what does Sony really have left to combat? Do they really want to engage in a price war with MS which they can't really afford?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

PalmiNio said:
letsdance said:

So with 30% of a consoles life you can calculate its chances of being profitable? And a company shouldn't slash prices with a redesign even if it allows them to lower costs?

A internal redesign for lower costs can be done without a relaunch with new design. Sony has reduced cost inside the PS3 many times without launching a new revision.

A new revision launch is a combat move, just like lowering price. To use both moves at the same time is risky, I would have spread them out and use the Slim launch to meet the next move from Microsoft.

Good thing you arent in charge of sony then... youd run them into the ground quicker then they are already.

and without GT5 or FFXIII LOL

Time to Work !

CGI-Quality said:

The interesting thing is, did you have to bring up profit in the first place? Why did the issue have to be mentioned. It just seems like you're upset over the numbers, and the reception towards the numbers, which I don't understand at all. And the person you quoted isn't a one-sided, biased person. So again, your approach was uncalled for.

Actually profits and other business stuff were brought on the table as soon as someone said Sony did textbook moves. Most or all people in the thread have recognized that Sony's sales results are good, but that doesn't mean the process to get there was good, which is far from being a textbook case.

No one even mentioned profits before someone praised Sony for its strategy.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^If MS gets aggressive next year with price cuts, what does Sony really have left to combat? Do they really want to engage in a price war with MS which they can't really afford?

MS are profiting. They wont be cutting the price in any hurry, and will likely leave the cut for when Natal launches.

Until that time, Sony have big momentum, despite being $100 more expensive.

And then again, who knows what Sony have in store for Q3/Q4 2010? We know MS have Natal, Halo, Fable.. Etc. We have no idea at all what Sony have planned.