By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Hardware Numbers UP for week of Black Friday

CGI - Youre a lot closer with KZ3 being 3 million then they were ;)

BTW

/clears throat

"With these sales it'll take the Ps3 till may to outsell the 360!"
(LOL)

Around the Network
Zucas said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
looks like sony have finally kick started then ps3's life! people aklways said it was the price..

Well that would be disregarding all the other hardwork Sony put in to selling that $300 pricetag.  Let's not forget it is still the most expensive product on the market and therefore price is still a factor AGAINST it not for it.  Indeed this has been a success of commercial marketing and advertising along with some big name software.  I think simply deducing it down to a price drop is indeed overlooking all the other things Sony has done to get it to this point. 

Actually price is for it at least among the HD consoles. That is, if you care about Blu-Ray and/or online gaming (free on the PS3, paid on the 360).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Nintendomination continues

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

JaggedSac said:
Zucas said:
Yes I'd also like to say kudos to Sony. This is truly a huge success of marketing and advertising that has been absolutely superb. I mean this is one that I'd write down in the books because it is textbook execution. Other companies might want to take notes.

I agree.  They really kicked it up a notch.  The financial reports should be interesting.

What led to this success was Sony's willingness to inject unprecedented amounts of cash into SCE, while not doing any layoffs in the division.

It's a great result, but one that came at big monetary expense.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

CGI-Quality said:
PalmiNio said:
Zucas said:
Yes I'd also like to say kudos to Sony. This is truly a huge success of marketing and advertising that has been absolutely superb. I mean this is one that I'd write down in the books because it is textbook execution. Other companies might want to take notes.

Are u Kidding me?

Putting the product in a position where you have to launch a new revision at a lower price with the result of negative profit of the hardware.

Is that how you define Textbook Execution?

Which company should take notes?

- Textbook execution is when Nintendo manage to millions of DS and even after 4 year keeping it alive by launching new revision with small upgrades at a larger price.

- Making a console with a pricetag that took 3 years to change, and even with 50 dollars of the Wii sells with a profit and in huge numbers.

Nintendo is the fucking teacher and the creater of the textbook that you are talking about, Sony and Microsoft are sitting in the back crying and begging to even break even with all their money spend this generation.

You know as well as I do that there was no need for such a post. Speaking of textbooks, or "things to learn from", go read the forum rules for VG Chartz.

No its perfectly good reason for a post like that, Sony is losing tons of money, people need to realize that all they are doing is taking massive losses to gain marketshare, Nintendo and even MS are making money

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@palminio

Totally agree. ONLY Ninty have pshown textbook commerciality this gen.

Sony are the worst of the three. God know how much they have spent/lost this last few weeks. Advertising through the roof and selling a loss making concole in bumper bundles to get market share.

I dont blame them, they had no choice... but its hardly textbook commercial sense.

ol. sony will make a profit this quarter.

PS3 will never pass the xbox360....
its a fact we PS fanboys have to admit and i have already admitted it...
but i'm still happy that sony is not going to lose without a fight...
DAMMMM U CRAZYYY KENNNNN

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

kowenicki said:
@palminio

Totally agree. ONLY Ninty have pshown textbook commerciality this gen.

Sony are the worst of the three. God know how much they have spent/lost this last few weeks. Advertising through the roof and selling a loss making concole in bumper bundles to get market share.

I dont blame them, they had no choice... but its hardly textbook commercial sense.

I generally agree too that it wasn't textbook financially, but it was pretty dang good on how to move a product (Wii & DS are still doing a better job). We'll see the real outcome in the next financial release which should be really interesting.

@letsdance

people make guesses. Honestly, the $299 PS3 is doing a lot better than I expected. Heck, the Wii is doing about 100x better than pretty much every single person ever predicted but you don't complain about those predictions.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Awseome PS3 numbers cant waite to see novmbers npd

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Others doesnt make sense to me.

Wii jumps about 50K or 25%
PS3 jumps about 50K or 30%
360 jumps about 9K or 7%

What cause the spike in others? They dont have a black friday equivalent. They growth to Christmas should be more gradual.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.