By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Hardware Numbers UP for week of Black Friday

kowenicki said:
letsdance said:
kowenicki said:
@palminio

Totally agree. ONLY Ninty have pshown textbook commerciality this gen.

Sony are the worst of the three. God know how much they have spent/lost this last few weeks. Advertising through the roof and selling a loss making concole in bumper bundles to get market share.

I dont blame them, they had no choice... but its hardly textbook commercial sense.

ol. sony will make a profit this quarter.

sony? sce?  who?  do you even know what you are talking about?

and no they wont.  selling bundles of a loss making console doesnt make profit...  do the math.

But profit isnt sony's goal at the moment, it is market share.

LOL LOL LOL LOL Lets forget they profitted last year this quarter while losing a shit load more and not having the biggest entertainment launch of all times.

Around the Network
letsdance said:
kowenicki said:
@palminio

Sony are the worst of the three. God know how much they have spent/lost this last few weeks. Advertising through the roof and selling a loss making concole in bumper bundles to get market share.

I dont blame them, they had no choice... but its hardly textbook commercial sense.

ol. sony will make a profit this quarter.

Not according to Sony

http://kotaku.com/5408318/sony-outlines-gaming-turnaround-sees-ps3-profitability-in-2011

Sony's gaming division should start seeing profitability by the tail end of their 2010 fiscal year through cost reduction and "operational efficiencies", Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer told a gathering of press and analysts today. 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

nordlead said:
kowenicki said:
@palminio

I generally agree too that it wasn't textbook financially, but it was pretty dang good on how to move a product (Wii & DS are still doing a better job). We'll see the real outcome in the next financial release which should be really interesting.

@letsdance

people make guesses. Honestly, the $299 PS3 is doing a lot better than I expected. Heck, the Wii is doing about 100x better than pretty much every single person ever predicted but you don't complain about those predictions.

I understand that. And it wouldnt be that big of a deal... if the people werent so adamant and vocal about it.

kowenicki said:
@letsdance

go do some reading and see what sony themselves predicted.

Go look up last years financials.

CGI-Quality said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
PalmiNio said:
Zucas said:
Yes I'd also like to say kudos to Sony. This is truly a huge success of marketing and advertising that has been absolutely superb. I mean this is one that I'd write down in the books because it is textbook execution. Other companies might want to take notes.

Are u Kidding me?

Putting the product in a position where you have to launch a new revision at a lower price with the result of negative profit of the hardware.

Is that how you define Textbook Execution?

Which company should take notes?

- Textbook execution is when Nintendo manage to millions of DS and even after 4 year keeping it alive by launching new revision with small upgrades at a larger price.

- Making a console with a pricetag that took 3 years to change, and even with 50 dollars of the Wii sells with a profit and in huge numbers.

Nintendo is the fucking teacher and the creater of the textbook that you are talking about, Sony and Microsoft are sitting in the back crying and begging to even break even with all their money spend this generation.

You know as well as I do that there was no need for such a post. Speaking of textbooks, or "things to learn from", go read the forum rules for VG Chartz.

No its perfectly good reason for a post like that, Sony is losing tons of money, people need to realize that all they are doing is taking massive losses to gain marketshare, Nintendo and even MS are making money

I wouldn't expect you to think otherwise unfortunatley. Regardless, the post was uncalled for, particularly because ofwho it was garnered towards. It's sad how some of you wouldn't be happy for certain brands/consoles no matter how good they do because of personal bias.

Well I have nothing against the sales of PS3 and the PS3 Slim. Love the product and it is a good buy for the consumer.

But when people are bragging about how great Sony has done with the Slim combo pricecut, then i wonder where the sense of business is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there ever been a console that got a new hardware revision that was launched at a lower price then the old model?

PS3 slim sales a great but the come with a hefty price, aka NO HARDWARE PROFIT. Both MS and Sony is dancing on thin ice with their race down in price. That race is good for us but chance that PS3 will ever break even in its lifetime is now more or less 0%. 3 years since launh and still no profit in hardware and the division as whole can barley make profit even with two other machines with profit, PS2 and PSP.

So no kodus to either MS or Sony. They do great machines but their sense of business is really bad.

The only winner in the end, both in numbers and in the books, will be Nintendo.

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)

Around the Network

Companies can easily manipulate their bottom lines to account for profits and losses through cost cuts, laying people off, selling assets. In the video game industry its about sales growth. Nintendo sales growth is going in the wrong direction. Investors see that, that why nintendo is trading at its low for the year and almost below its pre Wii launch price. No future growth.

PalmiNio said:
CGI-Quality said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CGI-Quality said:
PalmiNio said:
Zucas said:
Yes I'd also like to say kudos to Sony. This is truly a huge success of marketing and advertising that has been absolutely superb. I mean this is one that I'd write down in the books because it is textbook execution. Other companies might want to take notes.

Are u Kidding me?

Putting the product in a position where you have to launch a new revision at a lower price with the result of negative profit of the hardware.

Is that how you define Textbook Execution?

Which company should take notes?

- Textbook execution is when Nintendo manage to millions of DS and even after 4 year keeping it alive by launching new revision with small upgrades at a larger price.

- Making a console with a pricetag that took 3 years to change, and even with 50 dollars of the Wii sells with a profit and in huge numbers.

Nintendo is the fucking teacher and the creater of the textbook that you are talking about, Sony and Microsoft are sitting in the back crying and begging to even break even with all their money spend this generation.

You know as well as I do that there was no need for such a post. Speaking of textbooks, or "things to learn from", go read the forum rules for VG Chartz.

No its perfectly good reason for a post like that, Sony is losing tons of money, people need to realize that all they are doing is taking massive losses to gain marketshare, Nintendo and even MS are making money

I wouldn't expect you to think otherwise unfortunatley. Regardless, the post was uncalled for, particularly because ofwho it was garnered towards. It's sad how some of you wouldn't be happy for certain brands/consoles no matter how good they do because of personal bias.

Well I have nothing against the sales of PS3 and the PS3 Slim. Love the product and it is a good buy for the consumer.

But when people are bragging about how great Sony has done with the Slim combo pricecut, then i wonder where the sense of business is.

Correct me if I am wrong, but has there ever been a console that got a new hardware revision that was launched at a lower price then the old model?

PS3 slim sales a great but the come with a hefty price, aka NO HARDWARE PROFIT. Both MS and Sony is dancing on thin ice with their race down in price. That race is good for us but chance that PS3 will ever break even in its lifetime is now more or less 0%. 3 years since launh and still no profit in hardware and the division as whole can barley make profit even with two other machines with profit, PS2 and PSP.

So no kodus to either MS or Sony. They do great machines but their sense of business is really bad.

So with 30% of a consoles life you can calculate its chances of being profitable? And a company shouldn't slash prices with a redesign even if it allows them to lower costs?

Train wreck said:
Companies can easily manipulate their bottom lines to account for profits and losses through cost cuts, laying people off, selling assets. In the video game industry its about sales growth. Nintendo sales growth is going in the wrong direction. Investors see that, that why nintendo is trading at its low for the year and almost below its pre Wii launch price. No future growth.

That's fine about investors, but comparing a company that has been profitable continuously and in first place to a company that is losing money and in third place, well, I would clearly have more faith in the company making profit, even if the other company was seeing increased marketshare, because if the unprofitable compnay continues to lose money, it won't be around as long

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

letsdance said:
PalmiNio said:
CGI-Quality said:

So with 30% of a consoles life you can calculate its chances of being profitable? And a company shouldn't slash prices with a redesign even if it allows them to lower costs?

Sony themselves say it'll be a long while before the gaming division is profitable, and even longer for the company as a whole

CGI-Quality said:
The interesting thing is, did you have to bring up profit in the first place? Why did the issue have to be mentioned. It just seems like you're upset over the numbers, which I don't understnadd at all. And the person you quoted isn't a one-sided, biased person. So again, your approach was uncalled for.....period.

Naaa

The numbers are great. But when he talked about Textbook sample and that others should learn, that's just wrong.......first of, Nintendo does it way better in all aspects and secondly the cost of Sonys move is yet another year without profit.

But I sense that you have some problems with people showing the dark side of Sonys push :)

But if the fiscal side is such a sensetive subject for you I will try to not write about it. I mean, who cares about money?

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)