By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Greatest Game Ever? Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Offiical Thread

For me OoT is not the greatest game ever, that title is for A Link to the Past, OoT comes second.

Both games are amazing games and both games changed my life. Just like A Link to the Past, OoT is not a game, is something else.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Around the Network

It's a decent game, but that's about it. It has that open world freedom feeling to it, but nothing that goes beyond that kind of substance. Other than just completing dungeons, there's nothing in OoT that gives off a purposeful substance, even from a game play stance.

I felt unfulfilled after collecting everything in that game because none of it is relatively useful and/or unique. Heart container,heart container, heart container, increase bow and arrow amount (why increase any of the amount of items you have? there's an abundance of them dropping from enemies).

Now if there were some difficult side dungeons where doing some of those quests could help a little, I'd hold OoT much higher up than I do now.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

I wanted to create this thread :(

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

Yes, we all know Ocarina of Time is amazing. Heck, I'd say it truly is one of the closest games to a 'perfect' game. But you do need to understand, gaming evolves. And while the game may be firmly balanced and the experience one of the most memorable ever, it also isn't the end all of gaming.

That said, this is one game I make sure I play once a year. Its just that good. And for a while now, I've been playing it by skipping all heart containers and heart pieces. Basically, just keeping myself down to 3 hearts. You wouldn't think it would, but it really does make the game a whole new experience. And its even more fun.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

It's a great game.
It has aged though... it still holds up ok for an N64 game, but SM64 and Majora's Mask I think have held up better.

Also... Windwaker is my greatest game ever (so far)

Around the Network

it was the first 3d game i ever played :D

I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me. What Video Game Character Are You?
hsrob said:
I typed this in another thread before but it sums up my feelings on the game.

I still stand by the claim that OoT is the best game ever. By that I mean from when I played it at it's release to now there hasn't been another game that was simply so much better than everything else that was available at the same time. Playing now the combat feels stiff, the camera is just ok, the graphics (as with all PS1 era games) have aged poorly, but at the time it was just head and shoulders ahead of everything else. I'm not even sure if it's possible for a game to top OoT in this regard, to stand out as much as it did, given that developers have learned alot in the intervening years about how to make good gameplay in a 3D environment.

If we are going to talk about what is the best game ever in the absolute sense then there probably is a new contender every couple of years but none of them are going to hold the title particularly long as the are going to get supersceded by other games or even their own sequels due to advancements in tech and refinement of game mechanics. It's going to be very hard for another game to have the impact that OoT had at that time and that is why many people still hail it as the best ever.

Good points here! I would bet the next game to really blow us away like OOT did will be the first mind-blowingly good 3D game.

OT: OOT did not hold up well if you never played it back in the day. At least that is how it worked out for me.

I think is the best game ever. The game that desserved called: PERFECT

MY ZELDA COLLECTION

It sure is the greatest game of all time, though I have never played it ever since the N64 era was over.

got to say the best is majora mask 1st OOT second