By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Greatest Game Ever? Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Offiical Thread

Yeah Zelda Oot is definetly the greatest game of all time,alot of you new kids don't get it but if you grew up playing video games since the eighties like me you would understand just how good Zelda is.

Around the Network
CommonMan said:
Snesboy said:
CommonMan said:
In 1998 I'm sure it was amazing, but for me playing it for the first time ever in 2009, it's borderline unplayable.

Unplayable? I just played it last night and had no problems.

Was it the first time you ever played it? For me having never played it before this year, it just didn't capture me enough to compete with all of the other offerings available. Now, I also played Metal Gear Solid (PS1) for the first time ever this year on my PS3 (I had a gap in gaming between 1995 when I graduated high school and 2001 when I bought a PS2, it was called college, drinking and girls), and that was good enough for me to put aside my current gen games long enough to play through (twice actually, the first time with the d-pad and the second time with analog control). So by "unplayable" I mean not interesting enough to play through compared to current gen offerings. Actually the only Zelda game since Link to the Past I've liked has been Phantom Hourglass on the DS (I LOVED it though, and can't wait for Spirit Tracks). I haven't played Wind Waker or Majora's Mask yet, I may try to get one or both of those in.

No it was not. I just popped it in just for nostalgia.

i didnt like it that much. it was okkkkkishhh. ive never been a zelda fan.

Yup, this is the greatest game of all time! I played it just a few days ago and it was as great as it was back then. I have played it some many times that I could probably beat it blindfolded.

sorry but aunouma was right, this game was awsome in 1998 but is not that awsome now =(

Around the Network

Yes!!! I played the game for the first time when I was twelve and felt as though I grew up with Link. (It took me a few months to beat because my gaming time was budgeted back then.) The slow beginning forced me to get to know the Kokiri people and their forest. I discovered that Link was different from them and even felt bad for him. I understood why he'd want to depart from the place that had been his home despite the scary fate that awaited him. The vast world held answers that he could not find in his little tree house. The journey to the castle started off lighthearted and I even found myself admiring the scenery. Then--darkness came and I had to fight my way through the night. That's when I was reminded that Link was no longer in the safety of the forest. To me, a masterful storyteller doesn't make you aware that he's telling you a story. That's how Ocarina of Time was for me. I never felt as though I was being told anything. Instead, I experienced everything for myself. I felt pride when I solved difficult puzzles, felt shocked when I went to see Zelda and saw her and Impa running away, made mistakes (just like a kid would) and attacked a cuckoo (bad move!), acted careless and made a very difficult to remember scarecrow song, grew sad when I emerged from the temple and saw how terrible the world had become, experienced nostalgia when I ran into old faces from the past, felt happy when I saw new life in the forest etc. When Link grew up, I felt I had grown up with him. No other game has reproduced that feeling. So yes, to me it's the greatest game ever. Many great games have succeeded it, but let's not ignore the influence that OoT had on them.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

I prefer FFVII to the title instead by far, but it was still a good game.

Aunouma: Oot doesn't hold up nowdays... true

morenoingrato said:
Aunouma: Oot doesn't hold up nowdays... true

I believe it to not be true. I've played the game just a few years ago and thought it was amazing. It is the only Zelda game that I beat twice...and for me that is a big thing actually. Heck, it was even better the second time. I admit I didn't really like it at first since it was my first Zelda, oh but that changed easily.

Game of Forever. Followed closely by Super Mario 64

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

I typed this in another thread before but it sums up my feelings on the game.

I still stand by the claim that OoT is the best game ever. By that I mean from when I played it at it's release to now there hasn't been another game that was simply so much better than everything else that was available at the same time. Playing now the combat feels stiff, the camera is just ok, the graphics (as with all PS1 era games) have aged poorly, but at the time it was just head and shoulders ahead of everything else. I'm not even sure if it's possible for a game to top OoT in this regard, to stand out as much as it did, given that developers have learned alot in the intervening years about how to make good gameplay in a 3D environment.

If we are going to talk about what is the best game ever in the absolute sense then there probably is a new contender every couple of years but none of them are going to hold the title particularly long as the are going to get supersceded by other games or even their own sequels due to advancements in tech and refinement of game mechanics. It's going to be very hard for another game to have the impact that OoT had at that time and that is why many people still hail it as the best ever.