By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo SELLS 550K Wii & 1 Million DS during BF Week!!!!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Sony could release PSP2 next year, and Nintendo would release a new Handheld the year after

Nintendo is smart they won't let that happen. It could be Sony and MS all over again. They will release at the same year Sony release their system. I think DS will be supported until sales dwindled down just like the PS2. IMO

Around the Network

^Wii launched a year later and charged ahead of the competition because of content, its not an issue of timing, its content, if the next Nintendo handheld system launches later but with better content it'll win easily.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Nintendogamer said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Nintendogamer said:
Maybe a price cut to $99 might do the trick seeing as they say even say a $149 wii would be over-priced, I've seen some hate lately. Puzzles me.

No real need, Wii is still scaling higher than the PS2, and much higher than the 360 and PS3, so a price cut would be unnecessary, better to save it for down the road during the Wii's last few years

Why not? Wii sales were not good enough at black friday :( , 550,000 in NOA wasn't too bad thought, but a price cut to $99 would be be appealing and keep wii sales at a reasonable pace.  Wont happen till 2011 though I bet.

The way I see it, is they'll drop it to $100 when they launch their next console in either 2012 or 2013, next year no price drops, since they will be banking on software and Wii vitality sensor to cause Wii sales to rise back to 2008 levels, maybe a drop to $150 in 2011 depends on whether Wii sales start to decline again or not.

Let's hope Wii sales go over 100 million because that would mean it's the first Nintendo console to top 100 million in history,  will the vitality sensor be that popular and push wii sales, if it's really that usefull maybe some hospitals will invest in some.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

c0rd said:

It's meaningless to compare iPod Touch / iPhone sales with the DS.

Every single DS bought is used for gaming. The same cannot be said about Apple's products.

A better comparison would be to look at their software sales (if they were available).

Anyway... I'm still in shock how high the DS is, and how low the Wii is. It's too bad, since it's the Wii that's really in need of help - as if the DS needs to be even more successful than it already is...!

Exactly.  What a silly little argument that was.

And I'd like to know where they're selling those new Wii colors in the US (as mummelman mentioned).  I'd like a red one.  /sarcasm

Wow@1 million DS's sold!  It's crazy to watch it's sales increase after being out for so long.  200 million possible?

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

jarrod said:
Khuutra said:
Wow.

So, in theory, Nintendo could actually keep track of their used game sales, too?

That stuff is bananas.

Yep.  SiRAS tracks by serial number for the life of a platform in retail.  They could actually tell you how many times a specific console's been resold even.

Shame NOA doesn't ever release these internal figures (they'd be way more accurate than NPD even) but then there'd probably conflicts of interest raised and

I highly doubt Nintendo has access to anybody's data but it's own, as a separate company SIRAS must be somewhat at arms length from Nintendo otherwise competitors such as SCEA would be put off from joining. There must be some kind of confidentiality agreement between manufacturers, retailers, and SIRAS to prevent such sensitive information being passed to third parties including Nintendo.

Also, SIRAS doesn't cover every single retailer in the US (they're missing Amazon for example), but they do cover an awful lot;

Best Buy      
EB / Gamestop     
Fred Meyer     
Fry's Electronics     
Game Crazy     
K-Mart     Zellers
Meijer     
Nintendo     
Nintendo World     
Sam's Club     
Sears     
Shopko     
Target     
Toys 'R' Us     
Toysrus.com     
Walmart     
Walmart.com

Around the Network

bluthunder, SIRAS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo.... though I admit that I have no idea about whether or not that affects what you said

Avinash_Tyagi said:
^Wii launched a year later and charged ahead of the competition because of content, its not an issue of timing, its content, if the next Nintendo handheld system launches later but with better content it'll win easily.

We are talking about Sony here. One of their fierce competitor. Look what happen to Sony letting one of their competitor took a 1 year head start. Even if Nintendo is the King of the handhelds they won't let anybody gain a momentum. Nintendo know this very well because they been there before PS1 era? Underestimating your opponent will lead you no where.

PS. but of course if Sony can't find their own Pokemon it will be hard.

Khuutra said:
bluthunder, SIRAS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo.... though I admit that I have no idea about whether or not that affects what you said

Yes, I'm aware of that, but ownership doesn't affect my point.

There are lots of examples where subsidiaries are forbidden from passing certain information on to their parent companies be it for contractual, legal, or regulatory reasons.

One of the most extreme examples of this is with BAE Systems Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of BAE Systems plc.

As per its Special Security Arrangement, BAE Systems Inc. operates as a semi-autonomous business unit within BAE Systems controlled at a local level by American management. In May 2006 the CEO of BAE Systems described the "firewalled" status of BAE Systems Inc: " The British members of the corporate leadership, me included, get to see the financial results; but many areas of technology, product and programme are not visible to us.... The SSA effectively allows us to operate in the US as an American company, providing the highest levels of assurance and integrity in some of the most sensitive fields of national security provision."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Inc.

bluthunder said:
Khuutra said:

Yes, I'm aware of that, but ownership doesn't affect my point.

There are lots of examples where subsidiaries are forbidden from passing certain information on to their parent companies be it for contractual, legal, or regulatory reasons.

One of the most extreme examples of this is with BAE Systems Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of BAE Systems plc.

As per its Special Security Arrangement, BAE Systems Inc. operates as a semi-autonomous business unit within BAE Systems controlled at a local level by American management. In May 2006 the CEO of BAE Systems described the "firewalled" status of BAE Systems Inc: " The British members of the corporate leadership, me included, get to see the financial results; but many areas of technology, product and programme are not visible to us.... The SSA effectively allows us to operate in the US as an American company, providing the highest levels of assurance and integrity in some of the most sensitive fields of national security provision."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAE_Systems_Inc.

I think there's been a misunderstanding. Khuutra's not saying that Nintendo can get full access to other Siras members' info, only its own.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

We are talking about Sony here. One of their fierce competitor. Look what happen to Sony letting one of their competitor took a 1 year head start. Even if Nintendo is the King of the handhelds they won't let anybody gain a momentum. Nintendo know this very well because they been there before PS1 era? Underestimating your opponent will lead you no where.

PS. but of course if Sony can't find their own Pokemon it will be hard.

Yeah Sony, whom Nintendo has crushed both in the Handheld and Console Markets.

Exactly, If Nintendo has games like Pokemon and the like, PSP2 would be crushed with ease, if you recall, DS when it first launched was actually outsold by the PSP in NA, until the DS Lite launched, and games like NSMB DS, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Brain Age and the like came out, and completely devastated the PSP, so there was no reason Nintendo can't launch a year later, with better games and do the same.

In fact DS would probably outsell the PSP 2 for that year, no, Nintendo needs to worry about launching with a strong stable of high selling games, not about Sony

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)