By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo SELLS 550K Wii & 1 Million DS during BF Week!!!!

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Yeah Sony, whom Nintendo has crushed both in the Handheld and Console Markets.

Exactly, If Nintendo has games like Pokemon and the like, PSP2 would be crushed with ease, if you recall, DS when it first launched was actually outsold by the PSP in NA, until the DS Lite launched, and games like NSMB DS, Nintendogs, Pokemon, Brain Age and the like came out, and completely devastated the PSP, so there was no reason Nintendo can't launch a year later, with better games and do the same.

In fact DS would probably outsell the PSP 2 for that year, no, Nintendo needs to worry about launching with a strong stable of high selling games, not about Sony

1st bolded: Yup! The same Sony that crush them 2 generations ago.

2nd: That's all speculation and won't comment on that but one thing is for sure Sony learned a lesson on their first handhel (PSP) venture.

3rd: Again with the speculation. I agree that they should focus on games but they shouldn't ignore Sony either. Ignoring one's competitor is not the wisest move Nintendo will do and any big companies knows that. You never know what Sony will do on that 1 year headstart, they might started with a bang. That's what Nintendo don't want to happen and as much as possible will try to prevent that from happening IMO.

Around the Network

^Sony crushed them two gens ago because Nintendo had lost its way, it became too focused on just better graphics and technology and responding to the competition, and on top of that lost third party support, now Nintendo is back to doing what made them a success in the first place.

Unless they learned that content is king, it won't matter, and Sony can't match Nintendo's content.

trying to follow the competition is the wrong strategy, its what got Nintendo in trouble in the first place with the SNES and N64 and GCN. Look at Wi look at DS, both are far weaker than the competition, both have taken a very different path than the competition, but where is Nintendo, in first place, where is Sony, way behind.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)