By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo SELLS 550K Wii & 1 Million DS during BF Week!!!!

Maybe a price cut to $99 might do the trick seeing as they say even say a $149 wii would be over-priced, I've seen some hate lately. Puzzles me.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
Nintendogamer said:
Maybe a price cut to $99 might do the trick seeing as they say even say a $149 wii would be over-priced, I've seen some hate lately. Puzzles me.

No real need, Wii is still scaling higher than the PS2, and much higher than the 360 and PS3, so a price cut would be unnecessary, better to save it for down the road during the Wii's last few years

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The DS is going against all logic lol....I had never seen a system breaking sales records in its 5th year.

When the Wii exploded in 2007 and 2008 I thought it´d be like a "DS2, only bigger" system, though it´s lost considerable steam this year...its 3rd year...while the little system breaks records..in its 5TH YEAR...like I said, against all logic lol :P

@JGarret

Ds HAs the best games hence it breaks records!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

DS has had much better third party support than Wii, and as a result fewer periods where its had weak software lineups

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

darth, even then, it has to dwindle at some point....but it´s really quite surprising how long that´s taking haha....selling that well doesn´t really go very well with the rumors about a DS2 being shown next year..though, theres that story about the PSP2 and all.

^Sony could release PSP2 next year, and Nintendo would release a new Handheld the year after

iWhat??? Guys, DS is a really MONSTER!!!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Nintendogamer said:

No real need, Wii is still scaling higher than the PS2, and much higher than the 360 and PS3, so a price cut would be unnecessary, better to save it for down the road during the Wii's last few years

Why not? Wii sales were not good enough at black friday :( , 550,000 in NOA wasn't too bad thought, but a price cut to $99 would be be appealing and keep wii sales at a reasonable pace.  Wont happen till 2011 though I bet.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Nintendogamer said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Nintendogamer said:

Why not? Wii sales were not good enough at black friday :( , 550,000 in NOA wasn't too bad thought, but a price cut to $99 would be be appealing and keep wii sales at a reasonable pace.  Wont happen till 2011 though I bet.

The way I see it, is they'll drop it to $100 when they launch their next console in either 2012 or 2013, next year no price drops, since they will be banking on software and Wii vitality sensor to cause Wii sales to rise back to 2008 levels, maybe a drop to $150 in 2011 depends on whether Wii sales start to decline again or not.