By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft not finding much success with latest Wii games

pancho said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/wii-market-damaged-by-sub-standard-software

Looks like some developers are afraid entering the Wii market as it is flooded with sub standard product and reluctant consumers.

Maybe the ease and cheap price of development is a hindrance to the machine after all.

Nah, its too many companies thinking they could just put any garbage on the system and sell millions

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/the-birdmen-dont-fly/

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

firstly TMNT smash up is out?

and the rest of the gmae slisted there are total garbage. So why are they so suprised haha.

I really hope after this gen all these wanker developers just die of financially.

Ubisoft, cry some more...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

We should start a deathwatch thread for these publishers, and poll people about which of the big publishers will go bankrupt first

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
We should start a deathwatch thread for these publishers, and poll people about which of the big publishers will go bankrupt first

THQ will go first.

EA has already downsized by at least 25%, and will probably keep losing money for the foreseeable future according to their financial reports.

Ubisoft is actually one of the most solid ones, financially. As far as I remember this was the first time they posted a loss in this gen.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@Avinash_Tyagi.

I agree, and a very good article by Malstrom to boot.

However the flood of shovelwarfe is something unavoidable for a machine with a big install base and easy developlment. The shovelware will always be there. More alarming is the fact that not many publishers (especially big ones) dont seem to be willing to go against this practice and tie down some serious resource to Wii development.

I suppose that the crux of the matter is that it is more difficult and risky to design from the ground up a simple but fun and addictive game that will captivate a group of friends in the same room than to make a generic and derivative shooter or action adventure type 'core' game.

if they market shaun white like they did the first one it should do fine

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

The Wii traditionally does best 4th quarter. It's the casual choice console, and so a larger % of it's base are more likely to buy during 4th quarter instead of day one releases or other parts of the year. This is a terrible quarter to be wining about, not to mention the lack of few games worth wining about... I don't see what was so hard to predict. If they released these games on the PS360 consoles, would they have predicted any higher sales? The Wii isn't so different, their development focus is.

pancho said:
I suppose that the crux of the matter is that it is more difficult and risky to design from the ground up a simple but fun and addictive game that will captivate a group of friends in the same room than to make a generic and derivative shooter or action adventure type 'core' game.

So the real question is...

What generic and derivative shooter or action adventure type 'core' games have the made for the Wii this year?  Tenchu is about the only one.