By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

dorbin2009 said:
HappySqurriel said:
richardhutnik said:
Garnett said:

The Wii doesn't need HD resoultion, it needs non-lazy developers to dev for it.

Look at the Condult, an Excellent looking game.

IF COMPARED TO THE PS2 OR ORIGINAL XBOX.  Do you think The Conduit holds up to any PS3 or 360 top of the line FPS, outside of maybe Halo?

Does any PS3 or XBox 360 game stand up against what is possible on a $2500+ PC today? Are you rushing out to buy a $2500+ PC?

Bad analogy is bad.

The difference is that the Xbox and PS3 can handle most of the titles being played on that 2500 PC , albiet at a lesser quality. The editor is trying to say that some games flat out cannot be made on the Wii.

Or maybe this is another Wii hate conspiracy, though it is getting tiring and slightly annoying that Wii fans insist that these are unfair criticisms made at their system. The Wii has an install base of 50 million +, do you really think a developer is going to avoid making games for it based on semantics?

Well, they obviously are avoiding serious efforts for some reason, so... yea.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Dorbin: What HS said fits what you said aswell.

The difference in performance between the HD consoles and high-end PC at the moment is likely bigger than the difference between Wii and HD consoles.

The reasons for "the same games" running on HD systems are:
1. The game is a port from years old game.
2. The game is designed HD consoles in mind.
3. The game have been downgraded enough, so that they run on the HD consoles.

In the cases "2" and "3", Wii version of the game is just as possible as a HD version (even "1", but you have to port even older game).

I disagree when it comes to games since HD consoles are designed for games while PC are not. ( it would more likely to be eaiser to get PC game using 1gb of ram or 2gb with 64 bit down to 512mb on a HD console than to crunch 512MB down to 88mb) The same  as there is a bigger difference between 480p to 720p compared to 720p to 1080p. Of course PC domiates the HD consoles when it comes to everything but games.

sega4life said:

So what are your thoughts on this?

Namely, that all of it is complete BS. None of this is even remotely necessary: it makes for good marketing fluff, but is never necessary for any of the game mechanics mentioned and does not improve games in any meaningful way. It's nothing more than the graphics-are-everything trash that has been poisoning this industry for two generations, and exactly why consoles like the Wii that force developers to focus on things that matter are necessary.

Maybe in another gen or two, when developers have learned to behave themselves and focus on quality, it will be appropriate to advance graphics again. No sooner.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Reading their article, I have only one thought: It's amazing how the gaming media has managed to make the market leader sound like they've lost horribly. Not just in this article, either - the overall disconnect from reality by industry commentators has become increasingly jarring since the Wii broke all records on launch, and commentators steadfastly refused to change the tune of Wii Doom.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

Seeing the staggering sales of The Conduit, it is quite clear that the Wii audience is starving for some proper FPS action. Call of Duty Reflex will also probably sell loads and loads.
Seriously, why do some of you hate the concept of HD so much? Did you also hate CD's, DVD's and surround sound when it came out?
Visuals and audio, and the hardware that runs it, evolves and it always has and thinking otherwise is horribly naive of anyone, especially users on a forum such as this who are supposedly tech-savvy.
Is it paramount to a games gameplay? Possibly, it sure as hell ain't no disadvantage! It is a step forward and frankly; Reggie needs to realize that he can't have his cake and eat it too.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Seeing the staggering sales of The Conduit, it is quite clear that the Wii audience is starving for some proper FPS action. Call of Duty Reflex will also probably sell loads and loads.
Seriously, why do some of you hate the concept of HD so much? Did you also hate CD's, DVD's and surround sound when it came out?
Visuals and audio, and the hardware that runs it, evolves and it always has and thinking otherwise is horribly naive of anyone, especially users on a forum such as this who are supposedly tech-savvy.
Is it paramount to a games gameplay? Possibly, it sure as hell ain't no disadvantage! It is a step forward and frankly; Reggie needs to realize that he can't have his cake and eat it too.

Taking a quick scan of this thread I was only able to find one person who said anything close to HD = Bad, so what do you mean by people in here hate the concept of HD.  From what I can see they are generally disagreeing with the article writer when about games such as AC2 needing HD in order to be playable.

Mummelmann said:

Yeah obviously the PS2 and Snes and every other console before this gen had crappy games which totally sucked, only HD games are actual games, everything else is nongames, gaming began this gen everything before was this unplayable garbage that should never have been made, only the purity of HD is playable, how can Reggie possibly expect actual games to be made for a system that can't do HD.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Wow, I said all non HD games in history were crap, did I? Where? I happen to think that the best games ever made are mostly all from the early 90's PC era. I'm simply stating that HD is part of the natural development in visual and audiovisual processing. So maybe you don't hate HD but only the idea of games in HD, but why? Are HD movies and HDTV signals also redundant? Of course, many claim that its already "good enough" but where would we be in terms of technology if people sat on their asses and said that all the time instead of pushing forward?
I don't see the offensive article filled with lies that others do, I see a guy saying that HD is the future (and present) and part of a natural development cycle, like color television or broadband internet.
Its just as natural and you can't build and release a console that doesn't take this into consideration and expect no one to point that out.
I know the guy who wrote that piece is usually a troll but he's right about Reggie needing to stop whining, he can't go around pointing fingers at everyone save for his own employer, its not a great big conspiracy, its technology and business (cue Avinash or some others saying "then how come no one makes money on HD consoles...").

My 56" HDTV has a regular-ass DVD player, an ancient VCR, a NES, a SNES, and a Wii hooked up to it, and it's working out just fine. Having an HDTV doesn't instill in me a burning desire to go buy HD content. And most people with HDTVs still don't know what HD content is. They buy an HDTV and still watch their same old movies and video games on it, with no new cables or anything. So the HDTV adoption rate will be much higher than the amount of people who know the difference or care.

HD is still a marketing buzzword and nothing more, especially when they can't make up their mind on what HD really means. They used to call anything over 480i "ED" for enhanced definition. So 480p (which the Wii can do) is ED. But then suddenly that wasn't good enough, and "HD" was 720p or more. Then suddenly that wasn't good enough, and "true HD" was 1080p or more. Pixel counts do not effect item collecting, gameplay, fun, or even GOOD BEAUTIFUL VISUALS, which we had on the SNES and every system since. And if the whole world switches over to HD overnight, they'll come up with some other bullshit marketing term, like "super HD" and then try to cram that down our throats. If I can find 100 hidden packages in GTA3 on a PS2 on a tiny paleolithic television that blurs and barely has color, I can do the same with 100 hidden feathers in Assassin's Creed. I can't believe this guy is moaning about visuals for a stupid bonus collectathon. I'm sure all the game's great user reviews are gushing about the gorgeous feathers they collected.

And lulz at him saying "Wii Fitness." Game sells 22 million copies and this guy can't even get the name right 'cuz he hates it so much.

Mummelmann said:

Wow, I said all non HD games in history were crap, did I? Where? I happen to think that the best games ever made are mostly all from the early 90's PC era. I'm simply stating that HD is part of the natural development in visual and audiovisual processing. So maybe you don't hate HD but only the idea of games in HD, but why? Are HD movies and HDTV signals also redundant? Of course, many claim that its already "good enough" but where would we be in terms of technology if people sat on their asses and said that all the time instead of pushing forward?
I don't see the offensive article filled with lies that others do, I see a guy saying that HD is the future (and present) and part of a natural development cycle, like color television or broadband internet.
Its just as natural and you can't build and release a console that doesn't take this into consideration and expect no one to point that out.
I know the guy who wrote that piece is usually a troll but he's right about Reggie needing to stop whining, he can't go around pointing fingers at everyone save for his own employer, its not a great big conspiracy, its technology and business (cue Avinash or some others saying "then how come no one makes money on HD consoles...").

I wasn't going to say that, I was going to say, that if its about business, then isn't it cheaper and easier to put out games with last gen visuals on the Wii?  I mean look at RE4 Wii edition, sold well over a million I believe, and yet its not HD, in fact it was a port with some improvements, That's money in the bank for Capcom, why create the flop that was RE5, on the HD consoles, when they could have made the same game better and cheaper on the Wii?  If you say Wii must have HD, then you must have hated earlier gen games, and if you liked them, then waht is stopping companies from making games like that on the Wii?  If its business, then it should be easy, Wii is cheaper to develop for, and you can probably use assets from earlier gen games to make a Wii game, saving time and money.  Companies do lose a lot of money on the PS3 and 360, for what, so they can make games with shiny graphics?  That's not smart business.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)