By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

Why the Wii Needs a High-Def Visual Upgrade

• By Matt Peckham - Tue Nov 17, 2009

Speaking with Kotaku, Nintendo America president Reggie Fils-Aime explained that Nintendo won't move to a 'new generation' unless the current system starts bumping into serious technical road blocks. "What that says is that simply the addition of HD capability will not be the next step for us," he said. "There will be more to it. There will be additional capability. There will be additional elements, and, given that, it is far into the future."

On the other hand, Fils-Aime was withering in his criticism of top-ticket publishers like Activision for failing to pitch Wii versions of major franchise releases like Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2.

"I'm extremely disappointed," he said. "I've had this conversation with every publisher who makes content that is not available on my platform. The conversation goes like this: 'We have a 22-million unit installed base. We have a very diverse audience… We have active gamers that hunger for this type of content. And why isn't it available?'"

The problem with Fils-Aime's position--even if you accept the premise that the Wii's very much its own beast--is that it confuses aesthetic preference with mechanical advantage. Games like Assassin's Creed 2 or Modern Warfare 2 almost depend on higher-definition visuals. When you're rendering complex 3D environments like gutted war zones in Iraq or full-fledged Italian Renaissance cities and asking players to keep track of multiple objects in those environments, visual clarity--in particular, clarity at great distances--becomes advantageous, verging on paramount.

Assassin's Creed 2 doesn't render complex landscapes to drain performance budgets or high-five videophiles. Every square meter of the game's been carefully crafted with discrete game mechanics in mind. Several depend on your ability to sight miniscule objects in concealed locations or recognize distant landmarks. One collection activity has you hunting for up to 100 tiny white feathers stashed in concealed nooks and out-of-the-way crannies. Clue-yielding ciphers paint the odd angles of structures, and tiny collectible statues cling to buildings in places you wouldn't expect to discover much less sight from a distance at low resolution. Spying any of this stuff without poring over buildings or other structures up close and personal requires visuals crisp enough to let you pick out arm-sized objects four or five rooftops over.

Dealing with enemies benefits from spying whether distant rooftop guards are packing bows or swords--drop the resolution to 480p and the same guards become indistinct, jaggy blurs. Targeting individuals in crowded Italian cities (the objects of an assassination attempt, say, or someone you want to distract with hired help) is safest from the other side of a courtyard or the end of a cobblestone street. Distinguishing between targets at those distances benefits notably from sharper visuals.

Don't forget interpolation, a crude workaround that triggers when a display's fixed-native and a game system's output resolutions don't match. Run a game system that outputs at 480p (640 x 480) through an LCD designed to display 720p (1280 x 768) natively and the LCD "interpolates" the difference, resulting in blurred graphics and aliased text.

Wii games max out at 480p and look worse for wear on high-def LCDs, as opposed to high-def CRTs, where resolution scaling is dynamic and discrete. But CRT's are on the verge of extinction. Systems like the GameCube, Xbox, PlayStation 2, and Wii were designed with CRTs in mind, while I'd wager the kinds of gamers Fils-Aime claims Nintendo wants to address with these "missed-opportunity" franchises--the so-called "hardcore" market that prefers BioShock and Assassin's Creed and Modern Warfare to Wii Sports and Fitness and Play--have long since switched to using high-definition LCDs.

Point is, visual clarity affects gameplay in measurable ways. That gets lost in kerfuffles over polygon and pixel counts as contests of muscularity. The corrective requires thinking about gameplay in a more broadly spatial and perceptive sense, then thinking about reaction time in terms of an environment's visual intelligibility.

While none of this should put off gamers happy with Wii-oriented games like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime or New Super Mario Bros. Wii--games explicitly designed for the system--it'll probably dog arguments to port games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 over until Nintendo recognizes that HD-gaming is more than just aesthetic fluff and antes up.

So what are your thoughts on this?

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

The Wii doesn't need HD resoultion, it needs non-lazy developers to dev for it.

Look at the Condult, an Excellent looking game.

Lol yea. That's why Modern Warfare, Reflex is unplayable on the Wii. I just can't hit those low poly enemies, and the graphics are affecting the multiplayer too, so much lag now when the game is in 480p. xD

I LOVE ICELAND!

The article writer is wrong. From a marketing perspective, third-party publishers market big-budget core-market titles on the HD Twins because it's been proven that if you make some technically-competent, brown, "mature" FPS or action title for those systems, there's a million core-market gamers (and several dozen core-market reviewers) who will buy it and love it. The Wii forces third-party developers and publishers to innovate, expand their markets, and push their boundaries. And why would they want to do that when they have a captive audience on the HD Twins?

Core-market gamers love to poke fun at the Expanded Audience for buying shitty games by the millions when they, themselves, regularly fall for the same tricks.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I definitely would like to see Nintendo franchises in HD, which will happen next gen, its just a matter of how far along the next gen is. I cant help but feel we will hear about the next Nintendo system next summer at E3.

Around the Network

Any time a game DEPENDS on HD visuals it is not a game I care to play. HD Wii isn't needed at all its just resolution. Some of the most immersive games this gen have been on the Wii. Games like Corruption and Galaxy and now NSMB show that content is the most important element of gaming. In my opinion at least.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Apparently I have not known what it means to hunt collectibles until I have hunted those collectibles in HD.

HD is really moving game design forward.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It's high time Reggie kicked some 3rd party ass. Bunch of slackers if you ask me.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Peckham is a Wii hater, he's always bashing the Wii, so its not surprising he's saying this

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

My thoughts are its another excuse, since everything in modern warfare 2 and assassin's creed could be done last generation on the xbox and ps2. The only difference is it won't look as good, but the game would still be exactly the same.