By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

famousringo said:
Apparently I have not known what it means to hunt collectibles until I have hunted those collectibles in HD.

HD is really moving game design forward.

Also, since collectables of 100 indistinguishable items (so you miss 1 you are screwed) is the major gameplay mechanic in the game, if they took it out the game would suck.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I do agree that we need a more powerfull Wii.  I don't agree that games like MW2 need great graphics because FPSs are more about the gameplay and are much better when played on mouse/keyboard or Wiimote (Modern Warfare Reflex proves this), but graphics are always a welcome addition.  Also, as far as playing the Wii on high def TVs, it's all in the TVs ability to upscale the image.  Not all interpolation techniques result in a blurry image or aliased text.  Although many high def TVs are skimping out on their upscaling techniques as more and more input devices become high def themselves, I think the author has no clue in that area.

It's such bullshit that the gameplay "needs" HD. What kind of stupid concept is "HD" gaming anyway? PC games have been running so-called HD graphics (or higher) resolution for 10+ years, it was no big deal back then that consoles didn't have it.

I do not know of a single game released this generation that could not have been done on a PS2, Xbox or Gamecube. Of course you can have Assassin's Creed gameplay on a Wii!

The reason that those games are not on Wii is because the developers, like a lot of gamers, are graphics/technology whores. It's must-have, just because it is possible. Doesn't make the game more fun.

Played Street Fighter IV on the 360 the other day, nice graphics. The game could have been done on the SNES. Oh wait, it was, it's called Street Fighter II. Exactly the same game, prettier graphics. Big deal.

The graphics race is not innovative, it is stopping innovation. Look at Resident Evil 4, awesome gameplay, decent graphics (even on the PS2 version). Capcom gets the new generation to play with, what do they add to the game? Better textures on the "zombies"? Cool sunlight effects. Look what's the better game.

Sometimes I wish the Wii had cost $100 more at retail, and had stronger specs. Not because I need better graphics, but because the Wii is missing out on nice games because the developers say that their games HAVE TO have it to work. It's gotta have that "cinematic" feel! You know what, I watch movies AT THE CINEMA, I don't control them with a thumbstick.

<</rant over>

What was this thread about again?

Folks, all I needed to know about that anti-Wii diatribe was that Matt Peckham wrote it.

He has never thought much of the Wii -- which is easily apparent when anyone looks at his work.

And for what it is worth, HD penetration rate in the US was less than one quarter (23.6%) at the end of last year (2008) -- http://www.myce.com/news/Analysts--HDTV-adoption-rate-doubled-in-past-year-15304/

In other words, for most people, HD is NOT an issue. YET.

Mike from Morgantown

Peckham misses the point of the Wii -- nothing new here -- please move on.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

... but the Wii needs HD. It will never be successful without it.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network

@Mike - I agree with what you're saying, but I think that HDTVs are starting to become reasonable. This upcoming Black Friday, 32 inch HDTVs can be bought for under $300. Thats really cheap. I think the pricepoint is starting to match what people are willing to pay to switch out their SD tvs to HD.

It is also some weird misconception that the biggest difference between the Wii and PS3/Xbox graphics-wise is the resolution. It is not. Play a PS3-game on a SD television. DOES IT LOOK LIKE A WII GAME NOW? No? Really?

Have we learnt something?

bardicverse said:
@Mike - I agree with what you're saying, but I think that HDTVs are starting to become reasonable. This upcoming Black Friday, 32 inch HDTVs can be bought for under $300. Thats really cheap. I think the pricepoint is starting to match what people are willing to pay to switch out their SD tvs to HD.

The price may be low enough, but people still won't swap out their TV's. Everyone said the price was cheap enough last year, but it still hasn't skyrocketed. People buy TV's and then keep them until they break unless they are vidiophiles and have already upgraded, or they are the "keeping up with the joneses" type of people. I suspect the penetration rate will continue to stay high, but it will be quite some time before we reach 50% at which point Nintendo may put out their next console.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Well, that was a valiant effort, if nothing else...

Dv8thwonder said:
It's high time Reggie kicked some 3rd party ass. Bunch of slackers if you ask me.

And it can be done by....DEVELOPING OUR OWN IPs.

Of course there are some here who completely disagree, but whatever.