By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - ( PCWorld ) Why The Wii Needs an HD Visual Upgrade

bardicverse said:
@Mike - I agree with what you're saying, but I think that HDTVs are starting to become reasonable. This upcoming Black Friday, 32 inch HDTVs can be bought for under $300. Thats really cheap. I think the pricepoint is starting to match what people are willing to pay to switch out their SD tvs to HD.

Even if more people are buying HDTV's, that doesn't necessarily mean people are playing games (or even watching shows) in high definition. A large amount of people think they are watching HD by virtue of the fact that they have a HDTV, when it's not as simple as that.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/definition-transition-editorial

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

I've seen so many of these "articles" that I forget why these editorials are done.

What is the point? What is the goal?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Here are two semi-contradictory opinions that I have.

1) I do often cringe when I see some of my Wii games. We've gotten used to better. Even SMG didn't impress me at all graphically- It seemed like ALL the poly's were used on the characters and water effects and none on the environment.

2) Look at Metroid Prime 3. LOOK AT IT. It's f*@(!NG beautiful. Now why don't the lazy ass 3rd party devs do something like that!? If all the Wii games were like MP3 then threads like this wouldn't exist. I don't know what went wrong with the Wii, but it's a little sad to me that there are only a handful of fantastic games to play at this stage.

The next Wii system will be HD. And knowing Nintendo, something completely unique added.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

bardicverse said:
@Mike - I agree with what you're saying, but I think that HDTVs are starting to become reasonable. This upcoming Black Friday, 32 inch HDTVs can be bought for under $300. Thats really cheap. I think the pricepoint is starting to match what people are willing to pay to switch out their SD tvs to HD.

They might switch to HD TVs, but as you said, only because it will be as cheap as SDTVs, and they have no reason to buy bulky "boxes", when they can buy slim, cool " picture frames" for the same money.  The fact that they didn't pay MORE money for it, already indicates that HD is not a selling point, just something what people accept becoming as good as the old ones.

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Lol yea. That's why Modern Warfare, Reflex is unplayable on the Wii. I just can't hit those low poly enemies, and the graphics are affecting the multiplayer too, so much lag now when the game is in 480p. xD

Funny, I have no trouble hitting players online or enemies in the single player. I have a 42inch TV using component in 480p.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Dr.Grass said:

1) I do often cringe when I see some of my Wii games. We've gotten used to better. Even SMG didn't impress me at all graphically- It seemed like ALL the poly's were used on the characters and water effects and none on the environment.

2) Look at Metroid Prime 3. LOOK AT IT. It's f*@(!NG beautiful. Now why don't the lazy ass 3rd party devs do something like that!? If all the Wii games were like MP3 then threads like this wouldn't exist. I don't know what went wrong with the Wii, but it's a little sad to me that there are only a handful of fantastic games to play at this stage.

It's a shame you think that. I've enjoyed my Wii more than any other console or computer I have ever owned. Metroid Prime's desisgn is awesome though, I agree.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

Dr.Grass said:

I do find that very contradictory.  Seeing as much of  Metroid Prime 3 is running off of the Metroid Prime engine (from GameCube) while Mario Galaxy was completely developed from the ground up for the Wii.  Perhaps your views stem from your opinion of graphics design and art direction and not from the actual graphical power of the Wii?

Though I agree, the amount of third party developers who have actually tried to utilize the Wiis true graphical power can be counted on one hand.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

bazmeistergen said:
KungKras said:
Lol yea. That's why Modern Warfare, Reflex is unplayable on the Wii. I just can't hit those low poly enemies, and the graphics are affecting the multiplayer too, so much lag now when the game is in 480p. xD

Funny, I have no trouble hitting players online or enemies in the single player. I have a 42inch TV using component in 480p.

He is deploying The Sarcasm. You did not evacuate and were caught in the blast.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

That argument doesn't make sense.

A very large percentage of people played Assassin's Creed on a SD Tv without any issue and 100% completion, as with every other HD game.

Sure, HD gives you far better visuals and clarity, IF you also have an HD tv, othewise it looks as good as any of the best (480p) Wii games.